Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two screws laying on the seat and sure enough they both fell through the damned hole in the back. One of them was laying in a little recessed tray the other one dropped lower by the battery. I was just trying to get a look at my battery it's in my FLTRU and I can't get the top caddy to swing up, the front is hooked over a bracket, listed in page 1-54 of the shop manual as invisible, no sh!t!, and I cannot get it forward enough to swing it up. Whoever designed this really deserves to be tortured. It looks like I'll have to cut cable ties all the way to the tail light to get enough free play. Has anyone else been through this?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just removed mine last week. I don't remember the front going over a bracket. If I remember correctly, it went under to lock in.

Unclip the ECM (don't disconnect the cable) from the top of the battery cover. Remove the two rear torx screws on the cover. Lift the rear while pressing down on the front of the cover and slide the cover toward the rear of the bike and it should lift off. There is a cable tie at rear of the cover that clips into the frame. You should just have to pop it out of the mounting hole to allow the cover to move to the rear.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Buy some new screws it is a lot easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe buying new screws would be easier but I wanted to know where it went. I don't like the idea of something like that floating around loose by my electrical eq. or my drive belt or possibly falling and ending up in my rear tire. Since I wasn't getting much helpful info here I resorted to my own devices. Below is a picture of the battery cover and you can see the bracket it is hooked over in the center of the picture, the cover would not slide past that bracket no matter how I twisted, pushed or pried on the stupid plastic cover. So, I took my dremel with a small diamond cut off wheel and cut a little less than a 1/4" off of the top of the slot in the cover and was finally able to get the cover past the bracket, see the second picture. But much to my dismay I still couldn't see the screw. There appear to be hidden pockets behind the fuse block that could catch something so I loosened that and of course only one end of the fuse block will swing out a couple of inches, so I started shaking the block and could hear something rattling around and finally the screw dropped out and fell all the way to the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Maybe try and use a telescopic magnet next time to get down in the tight spots. You can get them at auto part store for around $10. The come in pretty handy

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Helpful hint, even though a strap is there to lift the battery out, back it up with another on the other sides. Trust me you will thank yourself later. Make the straps long enough to wrap completely around the battery so you can lift with one hand while holding back the other junk in the way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe try and use a telescopic magnet next time to get down in the tight spots. You can get them at auto part store for around $10. The come in pretty handy
That's what I thought but the fairing screws are non magnetic. When I took the seat off there was one laying in the little tray behind the battery and the other one was stuck between the two cables that disappear into a hole that goes down behind the fuse block. I took my magnet and just touched it and it fell behind the fuse block and disappeared. I thought WTF, I tried to pick up one of the other screws and it's was only slightly magnetic, but not enough to hold the weight of the screw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts