Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Road Glide is the first bike I've owned this long,still running the original battery.Starting to turn over a little slow even tho the temps here are getting cooler like sometimes 30's to 50's temp wise.This battery will last for this season,but come spring will be needing a new one.
Any experience with the "gel" batteries,...I'm sure even if I bought another OEM battery that lasted 6+ years I'd be happy with that...
Just wondering about any other alternatives.
DJ

·
Registered
248 Posts
I guess if doing "local" riding I guess riding a batt till dead OK, but due to long trips twice a year I replace batt beginning of 4th year. :D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I thought the OEM batteries are "GEL" type maybe im wrong :confused:
I'm fairly certain the Harley batteries are AGM, not Gel.

I got 6.5 yrs out of my last Harley Touring battery. $185 to replace it but that works out to about $30/yr... It was still starting the bike fine, but I decided it was getting to the point it could catch my by surprise. Then I went and got a new bike 3 months later... waste of $200 dammit! Doh

·
Registered
574 Posts
You should have a Trickle charger to keep it topped off.

I don't use a trickle charger until starting gets difficult (won't start). you can then charge it and as long as you are running often it will be good, but you need to keep an eye on it to get another. Once it can't hold the charge you are at the end of it's life. JMO

Also, don't forget to disconnect you battery over the winter :)

W

·
0 Posts
I just got over 10 years on my RK battery. I keep my batteries on a trickle charger unless I'm constantly riding them. With more than one bike around one of them is usually on a charger. I don't disconnect them in the winter either because I have the bikes in a nice heated building. On nice days I might just fire one up to listen to the exhaust note. lol

I've tried another battery on my deuce but it sucked so I went right back to the HD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced my oem in my dyna with mk's wcp line. Lasted 3 years for me so far, traded bike in this weekend for my new road glide. I do work for the company so a little partial to the brand. I see very very few warranties. And when my oem goes I will put another wcp in. Oem is an agm battery. And a batt tender is a great idea to keep batter in good shape. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2000 FLHT for 6 years that still had the original battery when I traded it for the RG in 2006.Will probably need replacing next spring.Thats a lot of start up's in 6 years so can't complain about battery life. I have not removed or disconnected the battery, even over cold Wisconsin winter for years.Usually ride til they put salt or other chemicals on the roads to melt the ice and snow,then it's time to quit riding.Never had a problem starting up in the spring. Turn ignition on hit the button and starts right up!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm on my 2nd battery in an '04. Got 5 years out of the 1st one.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I'm fairly certain the Harley batteries are AGM, not Gel.

I got 6.5 yrs out of my last Harley Touring battery. $185 to replace it but that works out to about $30/yr... It was still starting the bike fine, but I decided it was getting to the point it could catch my by surprise. Then I went and got a new bike 3 months later... waste of $200 dammit! Doh
AGM i was close knew it was 3 letters LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Out here in the harsh desert environment a battery will usually only last a couple of years... maybe three. After that you're just living on borrowed time. Even with a battery tender. And, I carry jumper cables in a saddlebag too.

I got my last battery at Batteries Plus. Same exact Deka battery (minus the bar & shield) for about $30 less. Oh, and it comes with a 24-month warranty instead of 12.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
$100 not bad. Wish I saw this early this year
when I bought a battery for my other bike. Had to use the dealer, not many options in podunk Northetn Japan. Definatly will save that link for the next time. Cheers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts