Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see a problem with using the 12v port on the fairing to connect the battery tender to? BATTERY TENDER makes an adapter with the 12v fitting on the end, I'm assuming it is just for that purpose? I have the tender lead hooked up to the battery but want to clean up the look of the bike a little, also avoid the battery tender lead laying on the hot engine.
TIA

·
Administrator
12,393 Posts
To charge the bikes battery ??

Wont work if that's what you mean because the port is not hot unless the ignition is on ..

JtB

·
Registered
43 Posts
You didn't mention what year your bike is but mine is a 2013. You also didn't mention which model Battery Tender you have.

On the right side of my bike by the passenger foot rest I have what looks like a 2 way male/female trailer plug. Most Battery Tenders have a matching plug.

Plug Battery Tender into said plug on bike (if you have it) and you're done. Otherwise it's a very common plug. Get one and wire it to your battery, plug the Battery Tender to it and again you're done.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
12,393 Posts
yep that's a dealer or factory install , most bikes in the last few model years have it , mine is an 11 and has it , makes it a lot easier ..

JtB

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone see a problem with using the 12v port on the fairing to connect the battery tender to? BATTERY TENDER makes an adapter with the 12v fitting on the end, I'm assuming it is just for that purpose? I have the tender lead hooked up to the battery but want to clean up the look of the bike a little, also avoid the battery tender lead laying on the hot engine.
TIA
Would only work if the 12v "lighter" is hot-wired. I do this on one of my other machines, but the 12v plug is wired directly to the battery.

My 2011 RGU is NOT hot-wired, but has a tender lead directly connecte FWIW.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have melted a couple of tender leads coming from the battery. When I changed my seat I routed through the right side cover. Just pop the top right corner of the cover and it's laying right there. When I disconnect I slide back in and pop the cover back in place.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2015. It already has the tender plug attached by the dealer. I just wanted to know if I could remove it and just use the 12v power port to attach a battery tender to. On my Dyna I installed a 12v port right to the battery and charged the bike thru it. Was just wondering if it could be done on this bike as well, but from the responses I don't think so.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's a 2015. It already has the tender plug attached by the dealer. I just wanted to know if I could remove it and just use the 12v power port to attach a battery tender to. On my Dyna I installed a 12v port right to the battery and charged the bike thru it. Was just wondering if it could be done on this bike as well, but from the responses I don't think so.
It can be done. Shit, anything can be done. It seems that responses to your question are wondering why you would do it, if there is a better option already installed. As mentioned, you could re-route the tender plug wire and put the plug smewhere else, like behind the side cover or even mount it on a little bracket under the saddle bag, so it's not visible but easily accessible.

If you really want to do it through the cigarette lighter then you can dsconnect the lighter from the wiring harness (unplug the hot and ground spade connectors) and then run a new pair of wires directly to the battery. I'd add an in-line fuse just for peace of mind. Then your cigarette lighter will get power all the time. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm planning to add at least one 12v charging point to the bike that is always hot, most likely inside the tour pak. It'd be nice to be able to charge my iPad or GoPro while the bike is parked. Just have to remember to keep it to small items that don't have a lot of draw on the battery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can be done. Shit, anything can be done. It seems that responses to your question are wondering why you would do it, if there is a better option already installed. As mentioned, you could re-route the tender plug wire and put the plug smewhere else, like behind the side cover or even mount it on a little bracket under the saddle bag, so it's not visible but easily accessible.

If you really want to do it through the cigarette lighter then you can dsconnect the lighter from the wiring harness (unplug the hot and ground spade connectors) and then run a new pair of wires directly to the battery. I'd add an in-line fuse just for peace of mind. Then your cigarette lighter will get power all the time. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm planning to add at least one 12v charging point to the bike that is always hot, most likely inside the tour pak. It'd be nice to be able to charge my iPad or GoPro while the bike is parked. Just have to remember to keep it to small items that don't have a lot of draw on the battery.
You hit the nail squarely on the head, thanks! Think thats the route im gonna go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts