Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Not sure what bike you have (model, year) but on most bikes you can run the pigtail down either the right or left hand side down tube. Zip tie it to the down tube and leave enough free towards the end so that you can easily grab it, move it, rotate it etc. so that it's not a pain to connect your tender. So take the pigtail out the front side of the battery box and run it down one of the down tubes.

See photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not sure what bike you have (model, year) but on most bikes you can run the pigtail down either the right or left hand side down tube. Zip tie it to the down tube and leave enough free towards the end so that you can easily grab it, move it, rotate it etc. so that it's not a pain to connect your tender. So take the pigtail out the front side of the battery box and run it down one of the down tubes.
What he said! I ran the cables/pigtail from the battery box towards the wishbone and down near the seat post tube. I also have the pig-tail on the righ hand side above the starter. I wanted to keep it away from the passenger peg.When in doubt - use one more zip-tie! :)

You can't go wrong - just make sure that the pigtail don't touch the headpipes or anything else hotter than... ;)

Btw I use the Deltran Battery Tender, a 5-amp smart charger that is specifically designed for AGM-batteries. I highly recommend it, just hook it up and leave it until next time on the road. It is much better than a simple trickle-charger. The Battery Tender has a microprocessor ensuring a 4-step fully automatic charger with a safety timer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I have a 2017 Road Glide Special, You don't use the factory Pigtail under left side cover? doesn't seem long enough to reach seat post tube.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sorry, I have a 2017 Road Glide Special, You don't use the factory Pigtail under left side cover? doesn't seem long enough to reach seat post tube.
Knowing the bike helps :)

On every Harley that I've seen since 2015 the tender plug tucked up underneath the left side cover is long enough to pull the piggy tail down the side and zip tie to the wishbone down tube. Now that I think about it, my wife's 2006 Sportster is the same.

At first I thought you were adding your own. I've got two tender plug piggy tails on my 2018. One on the left hand side and one on the right, but they are both routed exactly the same.

Maybe I don't understand exactly what the issue is?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
I have a '17 RGS as well and had the dealer route the PT up and under my seat on the left side next to my heated gear line so I can ride right into the garage, pull next to my work bench where the Tender is plugged in, grab the lead and plug the bike in without even getting off the bike - Before it was routed down below my left bag and was a PITA to get to

·
Registered
519 Posts
Don't be offended, but I have seen this happen.

Be sure that the lead from the (+) terminal is fused and goes to the female, covered portion of the SAE plug on the other end, the unfused (-) lead to the male.

If wired up backwards, it can be disastrous. Fire hazard, blow out accessories, you name it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts