Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Road Glide. No problems with my battery or my charging system. When I plug in the battery tender to the bike, it quickly goes to a flashing green light (on the tender), which indicates 80% charged. However, I have let it charge for several hours and it does not reach the point of a solid green light, indicating a complete charge. I bought a brand new battery tender and it does the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do you have the connector with the clips that you could attach it to your car or another vehicle and check the tender ? Its possible that your bike battery is starting to go bad and not fully charging according to the tender

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'd be surprised if 2 Battery Tenders were bad. Check to make sure the charger harness on your bike is tight and clean & if there's an in line fuse, check that as well. Also check to make sure there isn't a bunch of crud on the pigtail end of the bikes harness causing a bad/weak connection. If all else fails get your battery load tested. Every once in awhile someone gets a bad battery. Also, do you have anything on the bike that may be causing a drain, like security, extra led lighting etc?

Lil Chief

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 2006 Road Glide. No problems with my battery or my charging system. When I plug in the battery tender to the bike, it quickly goes to a flashing green light (on the tender), which indicates 80% charged. However, I have let it charge for several hours and it does not reach the point of a solid green light, indicating a complete charge. I bought a brand new battery tender and it does the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this problem??
More than likely it's not your tender but I have another for sale if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Something is not right. My battery tender goes red when I plug it up then goes to solid green when it is fully charged and keeping it topped off. I've had battery tenders go bad and when you plug them in it will only show a flashing green light. Just the other day one of mine went bad. To check it, I took the one on my other bike and put the bad one on it. It flashed green on it as well. The good tender put on the original bike with the bad tender, did as it was supposed to do, went straight to red to charge the battery. Hope this helps. If you have a bud, bring his bike over and plug your tender into his.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Have you checked your connections at the battery itself to make sure they're tight?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Give it some more time maybe. How was it before? Is this a new thing? I know mine might take a little while to go into maintain mode sometimes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I let it sit on the battery for as long as an hour, immediately after I have ridden the bike. It will just flash green continuously.
What is the voltage of the batt before and after the hour?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
When you first plug in the battery tender, no matter if your battery is fully charged or not, the tender will go solid red. When the battery is topped off or fully charged the tender goes to a solid green light and stays that way. It is now in the tending mode sending a pulse to the battery to keep it topped off. When you get a blinking green light, three things can be wrong, bad battery, bad connection, or a bad tender. In my case, I plugged it in on my other bike whee the other tender was working fine and the bad tender blinked green on that bike too. Like is said, have one of your buds come buy and plug it into his bike. If it blinks green on his bike, it's bad.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When you connect the BT, the light goes red, then blinking green @ 80%, finally solid green @ 100%.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have stopped using battery tenders. In fact, quite some time ago.

As a result, the batteries last much longer.

Jet Ski oem battery, 10 years. It's an 05, first new battery this past spring.

Kawi Nomad oem battery 9 years. (Traded bike in April)

Multiple outboard boat batteries, 12 years + There is a short some where in the boat, so I have two. Family members forget to disconnect when not in use. Boat is a 1992. One battery went 14 years. Admittedly, these do not get much use.

If it applies, I keep them topped off with distilled water.

I don't let them freeze, kept in little heat attached garage.

Trickle charge in spring.

The Road Glide is new. Still on road, riding it just before holiday. But, had sat idle for a month. Some years down the road, I'll report on how long it lasts. 0:)

Edit: I also do not use off season chargers in the summer, on five ice resurfacers I use in my business. (think Zamboni). Long off-season, March to Mid November. One battery is 5th season, two in 3rd season. Others, I don't know. Machines purchased used, battery purchase dates not marked.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts