Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 FLTRX. Never had any issues starting. No slow starts or dragging starter. Sometimes parked for weeks with no issues. Suddenly today battery was dead to the point of barely turning the starter. Rode it two days ago. Nothing left on. I have never had a battery take a shit that suddenly. Bike stored indoors and temperature is around 80 inside.

Anyone have a battery go this fast? Any suggestions on troubleshooting other causes (short, charging, etc) before forking out for a new battery?

Haven't done any work or washed it recently.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Use a voltmeter to see what the battery has for volts or take it out and and bring it somewhere to have it tested. It is possible that a battery can go bad quickly.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Use a voltmeter to see what the battery has for volts or take it out and and bring it somewhere to have it tested. It is possible that a battery can go bad quickly.
Check your connections.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
A loose or corroded ground can cause this issue so everything stated above is where I would start. Also, if this is the original battery you have got your money's worth out of it so a new battery could be in order.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FWIW I keep a jump box around just for that type of situation. It sux

·
Registered
454 Posts
Batteries fail as much in warm/hot weather as in cold. I'd bet battery is done but imperative to check all grounds. A little dialectric grease goes a long way, just look at the back of your fuse block some time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
All good advise here. Remember that every cable has two ends. Don't just look at them, take them apart and clean them. Dialectric grease is good preventative maintenance. If you are still running the factory battery after 5 years, it doesn't owe you anything.
You can pick up a battery maintainer for $15 at Wally World.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A buddy this year had his battery die on a run. Got there fine. Signed in. Time to go, test. I know it didn't get any tlc but just dead.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any way to load test at home? I can do all kinds of stuff to my bikes but when it comes to electricity, I'm lost. Also, can I find out easily if there's a charge coming out of the battery when the bike is off? (Short) And any way to test the (I seriously don't know what the alternator on a bike is called)? I checked both ends of cables and no looseness or corrosion. I do keep on a trickle during the winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So that is odd. The battery wouldn't even start the bike. Took it out and put it on a day charger. Took less than 10 minutes to read fully charged. Checked at 12.75. So I assume if in an hour or 2 if it's down to 12.3 or so it means battery is toast, correct? And I guess if it's still at 12.7 I need to do a load test. (of course procedures are in the electrical diagnosis manual.... What, they couldn't just put it in the SM?... Anyone know what the load test procedure is just in case?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The load test requires a carbon pile. A big resistor. I think Harbor freight has them but I'm not sure of the quality. The battery could have a build up of crud off the plates in the bottom that shorts out a cell intermittently. Another reason to change a older battery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Batteries can do that. I had a large tree down across my driveway. I went to start my diesel tractor and it was absolutely dead. It had been running 20 minutes earlier.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So an hour and a half after full charge battery is at 12.5. SM said 12.6 is 75 percent and 12.3 is 50 percent so I'm guessing around 60 percent? So losing 40 percent in an hour and a half. I'm assuming that's a bad thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
According to Yuasa

Sealed AGM batteries typically last 3 to 5 years on average. 6 to 8 years is easily obtainable with proper maintenance. Typically sealed AGM batteries will give warning before completely dying. They will start slower, and require more charging. This is your clue to replace the battery. Typically they do not fail all of a sudden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts