Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the way home from work today, the battery and engine warning lights come on and voltage gauge drops to 11 volts or so. Bike continues to run fine. I stop at a local battery shop and the guy says it is most likely related to the charging system. Bike starts up fine and everything is normal for the 20 mile ride home. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
So on the way home from work today, the battery and engine warning lights come on and voltage gauge drops to 11 volts or so. Bike continues to run fine. I stop at a local battery shop and the guy says it is most likely related to the charging system. Bike starts up fine and everything is normal for the 20 mile ride home. Any ideas? Thanks.
Voltage regulator is probably on its way out. They're hard to test when they first start going bad because they're intermittent. Test battery and stator, if they're good , you know its probably the VR.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If it's the regulator you will smell it soon. Distinct electronic burn smell. Mine did the same on a long trip. 50 miles or so after light came on it went in limp mode. I was in the middle of nowhere. Only time bike was on a trailer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Excellent, I was afraid that might be something they would say was normal wear and tear and sorry, we don't cover that. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
It sounds like the Voltage Regulator is starting to have problems.
The 2012 models had a recall on the VR so check the dealer and see if your bike is on the recall list.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The VR's are prone to fail; my 2010 did. Harley didn't design them correctly or they have poor quality from their supplier.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I suspected the regulator. My bike supposedly did not have a "bad" regulator with the recall. But now there is a product program? Anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
The VR's are prone to fail; my 2010 did. Harley didn't design them correctly or they have poor quality from their supplier.
I believe HD changed suppliers which ended up with quality issues. I still have the original VR in my 08 and it works fine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, today was an adventure. I noticed the lights had been coming in a little more frequently, but yesterday to Columbia, Mo, about 90 miles each way, not one problem. I went for a ride today and almost immediately they came back on and the voltage was around 11. After I met my friends, i thought I could make it, but then the voltage started dropping. If bottomed out a few miles from home. Then it started bucking and snorting, and died all together. I had to get a trailer to pick me up for the 1.6 mile ride home. I will be calling Big St Charles first thing in the morning and praying that my warranty will take care of this. I will let you know what happens

·
Registered
438 Posts
Glad to hear your bike is back. Unfortunately you had to go through this pain to get a part replaced that shouldn't of failed in the first place because of Harley's poor quality on select parts.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I suspected the regulator. My bike supposedly did not have a "bad" regulator with the recall. But now there is a product program? Anyone know what this means?
There was only a product program, never a recall on this. Recalls are different from the product programs - recalls are for issues that directly impact safety (brake failure, steering issues, ect etc).

Like anything else on your bike, parts can fail, so just because your VR fails doesnt mean it was part of the program.

·
Registered
44 Posts
VR

I am having the same issue on my 2012 glide. I will let you know what they say. Battery and stator check out so it has got to be the VR. Hopefully the STEELERSHIP does not try and shaft me. We will see.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been riding the bike with no issue but am figuring it is just a matter of time. Went to the dealer and they checked it last time I had it in and it wasn't one of the affected VR's. While I was checking the battery and stator noticed the date code as 3911. Produced one week before the HD product program started. Just my luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Voltage regulator

I just had this fixed on my 2012 RGU. It would start sometimes and others it would be completely dead. Voltage would fluctuate between 14 volts and 8! They replaced it under my Extended service contract. 50 bones. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts