Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, along with FlatBlackBastard are the proud owners of the amp made by Bazooka. The amp is a four channel 200w RMS/ 250w peak amp. He is my review thus far. Sorry, no pics, was pressed for time, but will take pics later.

First off, the complaints: The instructions leave a lot to be desired. You may find this hard to believe, but the instructions were written for the batwings. So, other than just basic info, not much good. Not a bunch of room. If you have added any extra wiring, you already know that we don't have a lot of spare room under our shark noses.

On to the install: The install was pretty well a snap (I think it took longer to remove the fairing). The amp/wiring harness is pretty well moron proof. There is a power wire that is to be hooked straight to the battery, complete with ting terminal and fuse! A ground wire (once again with ring terminal. Now the instructions said to run the ground wire to the ground on the tripe tree (this was a feature on older bikes, but not present on the newer ones). However, this is where having a sharknose is helpful. Just pick one of the four bolts for the fairing support (its a perfect ground) and the ring terminal fits the bolt. I had to remove my iPod interface and two-sided tape it to the inner fairing so that I had room for the amp on top of the radio. Make sure you turn the amp so that the heat sink fins run with the bike. When it came time to reinstall the outer fairing this is necessary so the the center bolt of the windshield has somewhere to go (took a few tries before I figured this out). The wiring harness is simply plug and play. Unplug the harness from the back of the radio, plug in the amp harness, and then plug the factory harness to the other side. Two other wiring plugs on the amp two different sizes, so no confusion. Then the hard part......putting the fairing back on!

The sound improvement: I haven't tweeked the system, as I have one more mod to go. But with the amp pretty close to being set at half way, and the volume on the radio at halfway, it is freaking killer!! I am running 5 1/4 inch speakers made by Kicker. The are similar to the ones made by J&M, but they carry a little more bass. I also have the acoustic foam made by J&M installled.

Future mod: I am going to do speakers in the fairing lowers and I have decided to go with the Harley 6.5's found in the CVO StreetGlide. I know that there are better speakers out there, but I have my reasons.

Overall review: I am very pleased and impressed with the system thus far. Ease of install and the sound is great! Crystal clear...the live version of Desparado is unbeieveable! I have not tested the sound at interstate speed, but around town, freaking awesome. After I hit some interstate miles, I will update, as when I get done with the additional speakers.

Hope this review helps

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And just to help with volumne difference.....with normal riding around town I would have the volume about 2/3 of the way up (the iPod interface is a little quiter than the cd), now I only have it about 1/3 of the way up for the same volume

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still impressed with the outcome. I wish I had done a amp long before now, granted I didn't know what I was missing until now either! I really want my other parts here NOW so I can finish up the stereo. Putting the lowers on w/ speakers in them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Bazooka model/part number is: MC-HD-AMK. It did come with a special wiring harness that is plug and play to the factory wiring harness. All you do is umplug the factory harness from the radio, plug in the Bazooka harness, and then plug the factory harness into the other end of the Bazooka harness. Hook up the power wire to the battery, and then the ground wire......and then your'e rocking!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the very informative and unbiased write up. I recently purchased the same Bazooka amp and will be installing it to drive 4 Rockford Fosgate 6.5 speakers in the fairing as soon as my Shark Nose parts come back from paint. Does the speaker wrap used to bring out more bass from the speakers make a significant difference in the sound/clarity of the bass sound??

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me its kinda hard to describe. I tend to say that it tightened the bass up. After the foam was in, and the fairing was back on, it kinda sealed the fairing, forcing the air to come back out through the speaker, and not get "lost" inside the fairing. A more full sound if you will. I don't really know how else to explain it, hopefully someone else will chime in if they have a better way to explain it. But regardless of the explaination.....well worth the bucks. I think it is only about $40 so a pretty cheap mod too!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm runnng 5 1/4's in the fairing, they are Kicker's. I would have to look up the model number, and I am going with the Harley 6.5's for my lower fairings. My service manager put the J&M's in his RG when he got his and we did a side by side comparison of the J&M's and the Kicker's (no amp on anybody's). We put the radios on the same station, volume level, bass & trebble at the same level too. The Kicker's did carry more bass than the J&M's, but the Kicker's have a very high retail price. Big downside for the Kicker's. Of course something about the Kicker's that I liked was the fact that they fit behind the factory grills. The service manager has since switched to the Harley Boom's and he says they sound better than the J&M's. It seems from reading, that 6.5's are the way to go. Lots of options for speakers, and lots of opinions on them too. I don't doubt that there are better sounding speakers than my Kicker's, but so far I'm pleased with them

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Do you think there is room on top of the radio if there is a C.B.? Also does the plug and play harness work for the tour pack speakers?
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the harness will work with the rear speakers. I talked to the Bazoka tech guy directly, and the short version was that the harness was pinned to handle all the accesories. I called because I was concered about compatability with the iPod interface.

·
Registered
659 Posts
where did you put the foam?
On the outer fairing?

Can you scan in the instructions to a PDF or post an image of them?

I bet Dyna mat would be just as much a help,

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes Im pretty sure they stick to the inside of the outer fairing on the sides of the headlight openings.(behind the speakers) Ive also heard in addition to the foam that these dynaxorb help too.
http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html
Yeah I was on dynamats site, best buy and many retailers sell that stuff
so it's just trying to help absorb sound

Might have to look into that...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PeeWee, just to clarify, you were comparing the standard J&M 5.25" speakers with the new Harley Boom 5.25" speakers to the 5.25" Kickers you have?
Just wondering as I doubt that the 7.25" J&Ms can be beat by HD's 5.25"s.
You are correct, the speaker comparison was just on the 5.25's. My bad for not clarifying that earlier.

As for the J&M acoustic pad, it goes on the inside of the outer fairing. It is cut to fit to the rear of the headlights. I wouldn't see any reason that DynaMat couldn't be cut to fit. At the time I got the J&M foam, I wasn't thinking about the DynaMat. A buddy put the Acoustic Foam in his ElectraGlide and I was impressed. And I thought it was pretty cheap

1 - 20 of 29 Posts