Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Seems to be getting too common. Heard about a guy in Nashville I believe that hit a pot hole and bike swerved into a car. Killed him and the bike behind him crashed too leaving him in critical condition. With the crappy weather most of the country had the pot holes are going to be plentiful waiting for the crews to fill them in.

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
Good reminder twistr.

On a similar note, being bikers, we always want to tell cagers to watch for us but we need to be reminded to watch for cagers, potholes, etc.

We had a local gentleman killed Monday down the road from our house. The car in front of him stopped and he ran into the back of the car. He had been a rider for 40+ yrs. His wife was injured and flown out.

It really hit home for me because I had met this man once. He was the President of the local Christian Biker chapter.
When I bought Lymey 5 yrs ago, I rode it to the courthouse to license it & have it inspected. As I was coming back out to the parking lot, a man on a bike was parked next me. He said he saw that I had a temp tag on my bike & asked if he could bless my bike and pray together. He gave me his business card, told me a bit about himself & his life, which included time in prison, drugs and lots of alcohol. He handed me a prayer cloth (that is still in my bike) and we went our separate ways.
Im not religious in any way but I appreciated him taking the time to do that. An experience I wont soon forget.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Really sad. We get reminded all the time about the dangers of riding a motorcycle, it just seems to get worse as roads are getting crappy and drivers are more distracted then ever.

·
Super Moderator
13,068 Posts
I've heard about a couple of pothole incidents, you northern riders be careful, especially when there's a standing puddle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently wrote about this subject in our chapter newsletter. We as bikers always get upset or annoyed with cars following us too closely, but are sometimes guilty of doing it ourselves, and then don't have time to react when the car we're following too closely suddenly needs to stop or something we can't see comes out from under the car, like a pothole in this case. Another is cutting off cars when merging into their lane, and other things we sometimes do... We need to consciously hold ourselves to the same high standard we would like to see from cagers when we're riding out there. Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Keeping your distance is almost impossible in heavy traffic no matter where you are riding.
All you can do is stay alert and expect the unexpected no matter what time of year it is.
Potholes and road debris are part of using the roads no matter what you are riding/driving and you never know when those road gremlins will jump up and get you :eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
We don't have potholes here in Ct. We have potcanyons. 16 people were swallowed up just this week on rt.6 alone....never to be seen again. Too bad we can't throw the damn governor into one.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,964 Posts
its like driving around on the moon here on long island!
....... similar conditions here on the Front Range
..... some of these craters & ruts could easily throw you off your line or saddle w/o time to react
........... be ever vigilant out there, folks

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,134 Posts
I had a close call crossing the Ohio River a couple of years ago, heavy traffic and a pothole appeared from underneath the car in front of me, still not sure how I missed it and i swear I saw the river a hundred feet below as I went by. I still think my guardian angel pushed me to the side so I could miss it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Its not just the potholes, here in AZ the tourist (snowbird) season is upon us and the lots out of state drivers make for some dangerous riding here.

Be diligent and aware of everything in your surroundings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts