Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for posting this twice, but it trying to do a new post I posted in the wrong section earlier. But anyway, what gives with the bearings used in HD touring bikes. Can anybody provide some insight.

I took my bike in, 2010 Roadglide for it's first set of new tires at 19k. Come to find out I was blessed to not have an accident because the front and rear wheel bearings where gone. They didn't make any odd noises or anything, they just went. My tech told me and I read somewhere that HD used defective bearing from 08 to 11. Then I find out that the transmission bearings were making this light metal on metal sound when you spin the rear tire while it was up on the lift. Damn if HD didn't use cheap bearings there too. What gives?? Are there any other bearings on the bike that I should be worried about in the near term?

You pay good money for a new bike only to find cheap Chinese made parts on it. My tech knows a helicopter mechanic. The metal bearings where tested and the alloy used came from china.
Sorry to sound like I'm upset, but if wanted a Chinese bike, I would have gone out and bought one. I don't ride my bike hard at all and would expect not to be having these issues at such low mileage. I may consider a Goldwing next time around.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Honda uses China bearings too. Just fixem when they break, is all we can do. It's the world we live in.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
You will find a lot of foreign made parts on a Harley which is unfortunate.
It all comes down to capitalism which is make a product as cheap as you can and sell it for as much as you can.
On my 08 I had the rear wheel bearings go bad at 16K and I also had the rear pulley bearings go out twice so make sure that you check the rear pulley bearings too.
I got chrome wheels from Willy Shinys and had Joe install the wheel bearing that he uses and I haven't had a problem since with the wheel bearings, unfortunately the rear pulley bearing is a special bearing made in Yugoslavia just for HD and there is no aftermarket option.
The trans bearing is a 09 and later issue the earlier bikes don't seem to have the problem.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
You will find a lot of foreign made parts on a Harley which is unfortunate.
It all comes down to capitalism which is make a product as cheap as you can and sell it for as much as you can.
On my 08 I had the rear wheel bearings go bad at 16K and I also had the rear pulley bearings go out twice so make sure that you check the rear pulley bearings too.
I got chrome wheels from Willy Shinys and had Joe install the wheel bearing that he uses and I haven't had a problem since with the wheel bearings, unfortunately the rear pulley bearing is a special bearing made in Yugoslavia just for HD and there is no aftermarket option.
The trans bearing is a 09 and later issue the earlier bikes don't seem to have the problem.
My rear pully bearing is the same as the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
My rear pully bearing is the same as the wheel bearing.
This is true for 09' & up and there are 2 of them in the pully so if you change all the bearings for the wheel and pully you will need 4 of the same bearing for non ABS bikes. If it has ABS you will need 3 standard bearings and 1 ABS bearing. The older bikes have a different bearing in the pully than what is in the wheel.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
This is true for 09' & up and there are 2 of them in the pully so if you change all the bearings for the wheel and pully you will need 4 of the same bearing for non ABS bikes. If it has ABS you will need 3 standard bearings and 1 ABS bearing. The older bikes have a different bearing in the pully than what is in the wheel.
Found that out , when I told the parts guy , NO, I only wanted bearings for the rear. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts