Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My dad and I along with a couple friends are doing a trip in August from British Columbia/Alberta down to Yellowstone. We're going to do the Beartooth pass and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend which direction would be better? For example, if the majority of the pass is climbing one way, would it be worth riding it the opposite direction to not be pulling hills at that elevation the whole way? My dad is on an older carbureted bike and it's a pain in the ass (pull the tank etc.) to re-jet so he is packing spare plugs and a fresh air filter and just gonna let it run rich for that part of the trip. If one way is more of a drop in elevation, I think we would be better off riding it that way. Are there any benefits to riding one way over the other? Anybody done the trip that could suggest some "must see" stops along the way? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Anyway you go there will be some climbing. If you are looking for the least incline, enter through the north entrance at Gardiner MT, go through Cook City then to Beartooth pass and down to Red Lodge. The entire route is worth stopping and taking in the views. Havn't been through there in years last time was in a car. We are riding the pass the week after the 4th.

·
Registered
531 Posts
We ride the Pass every year we head out to Sturgis. One of the riders (She's a hard core biker, rides better than a couple of the guys in our crew!) is on a Carbed 2001 Deluxe with no problem. We come in from Jackson Hole WY, party there one night and then hit Yellowstone, then over the pass and hang in Red Lodge MT. We have reversed the order a few times, Both ways over the pass no matter what way your pulling and descending. The rest of the bikes are injected so no issues there. Your Dad should not have a problem at all. If you going into Red Lodge make sure, if you can, to eat at the Carbourn County Steak House. (not sure I spelled that right!) They have a Cowboy Coffee Ribeye that is a little pricey, but oh it is so worth it. One word of advice, in the past 12 years of riding Beartooth we have hit rain, lighting and twice we had snow flurries, dress warm! Have a good trip and if you get the chance also ride the Chief Joseph Highway (Route 296) or as the locals know it, Crandall Road, another Awesome road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For sure there will be some climbing. I know a lot of the passes around home are up the mountains then plateau for a long way until the elevation tapers off gradually again. If it's steep both ways, it is what it is. The old mans bike is gonna burn some black!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've rode it several times and both directions. I don't think it really matters and i don't think he'll have a problem. I have rode this route on a kawasaki 650 and an Evo heritage Springer. Injection is better but I never had a problem. If you get time check out the Chief Joseph Byway off the Beartooth. Really great route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep 296 in mind if the old guys are up for a side trip. As for the rain and snow, I get enough of that up here so hoping for nice weather. I've seen pictures of walls of snow along the highway that I'm really hoping to still see but I think the end of August might be a little late for that.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
depends on what elevation the bike is tuned for.
unless the variance is more than 5,000 feet you should be ok, but packing extra plugs is always a good idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
depends on what elevation the bike is tuned for.
unless the variance is more than 5,000 feet you should be ok, but packing extra plugs is always a good idea.
Home is about 1100' and the pass goes up 11,000' so it'll be a big difference. I'm sure it'll be fine, nothing fresh plugs and a good hard run the next day won't clear up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As others said; Beartooth, Chief Joseph & Yellowstone even the Tetons are all a great ride! As for jetting, I rode the FLHT loaded for the week with the wife and never even had a simple misfire on a carb'd 121" EVO.
Enjoy the trip

·
Registered
609 Posts
having ridden that a lot and grew up in the Jackson hole area,i can say you will enjoy.no problem in aug. other then possible rain.i carry an ipad to check weather every nite.weatherunderground.com.to see big snow drifts u would have to be there in june depending on winter.5 years ago had 6-8 snow on side of road,people still skiing.the top never got enough snow this I have been told.i like the lower section or chief joseph more the top.highway 87-89 south from great falls to big timber is sweet.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
When I went through there in '12 we stayed in Red Lodge, went up to the Montana / Wyoming line, came back down, had a buffalo burger and then went over and into Yellowstone the next morning. I was on a 650cc twin and no issues. There was 6 feet of snow on the sides of the road at elevation in the beginning of July. The tar snakes are very treacherous so watch out.

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
Hello,

This link will take you on some awesome roads between Kamloops and Cody, Wyoming.

If you have a a couple older guys that don't want to ride big miles each day I would use this route and plan my stays in the following stops.

https://goo.gl/maps/Q3yscnbeKJm

Spokane, Wa
Dillon, MT
West Yellowstone, MT for 2 nights to explore Yellowstone
Cody, Wy for at least 1 night, go to the nightly rodeo west of town, be sure to check the Irma hotel downtown and the western heritage museum

For the return trip follow this route:

https://goo.gl/maps/5fxh246nNQM2

From Cody, stay the night in Helena, MT
Helena to Kalispell/Whitefish

You can break the last part of this route up by staying in Nakusp the last night.

https://goo.gl/maps/nCmEr6ZaBTP2

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
We rode it mid-June two summers ago. Awesome ride. Still a good amount of snow around then and we rode through rain, snow and sleet. Fantastic ride. The only thing that made me pucker was the wind. Strong gusts that really had my attention near the top.

Have a great ride!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey all,

My dad and I along with a couple friends are doing a trip in August from British Columbia/Alberta down to Yellowstone. We're going to do the Beartooth pass and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend which direction would be better? For example, if the majority of the pass is climbing one way, would it be worth riding it the opposite direction to not be pulling hills at that elevation the whole way? My dad is on an older carbureted bike and it's a pain in the ass (pull the tank etc.) to re-jet so he is packing spare plugs and a fresh air filter and just gonna let it run rich for that part of the trip. If one way is more of a drop in elevation, I think we would be better off riding it that way. Are there any benefits to riding one way over the other? Anybody done the trip that could suggest some "must see" stops along the way? Thanks guys!
If you’ve never been there before it won’t matter which way you ride it. Depending on which way your going, be sure to hit Chief Joseph Highway too. Take the time to stop and look around. It will be somewhat busy in August but not so much on weekdays. Message me if you what more specific details. Here is a map showing YNP, Cody, Cooke City and Redlodge. Chief Joseph is Highway 296. Ride safe.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts