Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes is sucks to live north of the 49th Parallel.

Case in point, I want to get a Factory 47 Engine guard on my '09. The price is US$350. If I lived in Blaine , WA; 15 miles away the shipping would be US$100 which is bad enough.

If I order from Factory 47 my cost is US$350 + US$130 for shipping which is CAN$631 and CAN$82 tax.
Total CAN$713.

I contacted Factory 47, asked for a Canadian dealer and was told to contact Calgary Harley Davidson as this was one of their top Canadian dealers. When I called them I was told that the cost to me would be CAN$950 plus shipping from Calgary to Vancouver.

Guess I'll be dealing direct, but it still seems like a lot for an engine guard.

Reactions: Clutch1

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looks like it's time to update my passport ... and to start a "delivery service." :smile:
Fella could probably make some good money running parts up there.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hate it for ya man. $950 for an engine guard doesn't seem ridiculous. It IS ridiculous. For that kind of money, it seems you could make a trip to the USA, have it installed at a ridiculous hourly rate, and ride back with change left over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hate it for ya man. $950 for an engine guard doesn't seem ridiculous. It IS ridiculous. For that kind of money, it seems you could make a trip to the USA, have it installed at a ridiculous hourly rate, and ride back with change left over.
That's the other option. It means waiting a while for decent riding weather but a road trip is a road trip and the engine guard would be an added bonus. Maybe a jacket from Langlitz as well if I find a dealer in Portland:wink:

ps. The picture is to show why it will be a while before the road trip

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Perhaps a mailbox in Blaine would do you well. I'd have one if I lived closer to the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps a mailbox in Blaine would do you well. I'd have one if I lived closer to the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used to have one in Point Roberts. If this turns into a regular thing you may be right.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sometimes is sucks to live north of the 49th Parallel...
I can feel your pain, bro! It's same thing over here – the shipping costs are ridiculous and then to add insult to injury the state slaps you with hefty import taxes...furthermore a road trip is out of the question, be it snow or not!

But being Canadian there is always something to enjoy, hey, you snatched gold and bronze from us in the Alpine World Cup Super G! :D

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Bummer! I would be looking at another engine guard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi There E56789. I know what your talking about. I'm in the Okanagan and run into the same frustration and $$$ when I order parts. But there is a service that I started to use called "Ship It To Us" located just across the border from you in Sumas WA. Use thier address to get your package shipped (usually free shipping to anywhere in the lower 48) and they charge a very small fee to hold it for you until you drive across and pick it up. It doesn't help with the exchange rate we have to pay when buying parts, but it sure saves on the shipping charges and brokerage fee's that we usually have to pay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi There E56789. I know what your talking about. I'm in the Okanagan and run into the same frustration and $$$ when I order parts.
Somebody on BC Baggers said to try Konquer in Kelowna. Have you dealt with them? I haven't since they were Keater. Worth a try I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use a forwarding service that brings it into the YYJ Airport for a small fee. but SAVES a ton of money. ill PM you the info once I find it again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestions. I squeezed the trigger this morning with Konquer Motorcycles in Kelowna. CAN$600 and change at my front door. They don't charge shipping on orders over $50.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I squeezed the trigger this morning with Konquer Motorcycles in Kelowna. CAN$600 and change at my front door. They don't charge shipping on orders over $50.
Looks like you found the answer. At least for the winter projects. Summer calls for a road trip. Goodbye suff

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I can feel your pain, bro! It's same thing over here – the shipping costs are ridiculous and then to add insult to injury the state slaps you with hefty import taxes...furthermore a road trip is out of the question, be it snow or not!

But being Canadian there is always something to enjoy, hey, you snatched gold and bronze from us in the Alpine World Cup Super G! :D
Yes plus you have all those cool liberal celebs that are supposedly moving your way :). I would wait like others have suggested & ride down over border and buy it. Takes minutes to install.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would wait like others have suggested & ride down over border and buy it. Takes minutes to install.
And this is why I don't do that.

Got the guard delivered to my house about 2 weeks ago. Finally got some time to spend in the garage this afternoon. (Getting ready for a reno that is going to have us living in 2 bedrooms, one for sleeping, the other will be our day room to escape the carnage).

Removed the Bagger Nation fairing support to free up the mounting hole for the guard. CHECK
Installed the new fairing mount from M3Metalworks using their included nuts and washers. CHECK
Installed the guard using the allen bolt that held the Bagger Nation support to the frame and the included bolts that came with the Factory 47 unit. ALL STOP>There is no hardware included with the guard. FUCK.
Go to the Harley store tomorrow to get the parts needed to complete the install. Glad I'm not doing this in a FedEx parking lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts