Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

I have not adjusted the belt and I am about to be breaking 17k.

Any suggestions for someone that has not done this before on a RG.
Done it on dirt bikes for a long time and on a sportster last year but not on the RG.

How long should this take me, any special tools?

I just looks a little sloppy to me and I need to research the correct spec for deflection.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
9,762 Posts
@beerhunter Here's a YouTube Video from LAB that does a good job of describing the procedure.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You need to be able to A) adjust the belt, and B) retorque the axel nut with the least amount of additional work. So you'll also need a torque wrench.

The wobble socket is from Motion Pro and the fixture to hold the left end of the axel I got from J&P. Just take the bags off and have at it. Reach right in over the can and loosen/tighten the nut. If the scooter has 4.5 cans, you'll need to drop the rear can mount to let the can sag down a little.

You also need a belt tension gauge.

Hand tool Pliers Diagonal pliers Metalworking hand tool Set tool

The scooter should be sitting level, not on the side stand. Best way to do that is with a little scissor jack up under the front of the frame. Just lift it enough to keep the scooter standing upright, don't take the weight off of the rear wheel.

Past that just loosen to axel nut, then sung it slightly. Use the fixture on the left end to adjust the axle cam until the belt gauge and the scale on the belt guard indicate the adjustment is correct. Its usually about 1/2 inch deflection with 10lbs of force, but you'll need to check you manual to get the spec for your scooter. Properly adjusted, its tight like a fiddle string.

Measuring the belt tension.

Hand Hood Automotive tire Finger Automotive lighting

And the Axel holder (Third Hand) on the scooter. Your adjusters will be cams, not threaded like in the photo. You just turn the bolt in to tighten the tension, then leave the jig in place while you torque the axle nut on the other side.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
You should definitely have a torque wrench and a belt tensioning tool. Make sure to loosen the axle nut and then torque it back down to 15-20 ft/lbs. Make your adjustments in very small increments and when you reach specification for your bike which is 1/4"-7/16" deflection at 10 lbs of force using the belt deflection tool, final tighten the axle nut to 95-105 ft/lbs. The tools mentioned in the previous posts are all must haves for a job done once and right. I have done my belt tensioning on the side stand which you can do but it's just a little more of a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Oh yeah, one other thing. Make sure to check the tension before you just adjust it so you know where you are starting from.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good tips, BH you have a great taste in color I see, thanks for your pointers.

I think I am all ready now to take care of this normal maint.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Good tips, BH you have a great taste in color I see, thanks for your pointers.

I think I am all ready now to take care of this normal maint.
You my friend also have great taste in color and you are welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts