Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing noise when leaned on turns. More so on right curves. Pretty sure it’s just tire noise. Bike is a 2020 RGS with 3k on ODO. I did check the belt today and it is right at the 7/16” max at 10 pounds. So I’m going to tighten the belt a little to see if it helps with the noise I’m hearing. My question is the service manual says replace the axle e clip. Dealer didn’t have one in stock. I think it can probably be reused. What say you guys?

·
Registered
411 Posts
As long as the clip isn't damaged, I'd reuse it. Don't over due it on belt tension, as it get's tighter as the shocks compress.

My stock tires sound different when at any angle other than straight up. Never experienced this with any other bikes, maybe the low profile tire is the reason for the singing.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I never take the clip off. Just loosen the nut and make the adjustment.

I have a nickle that says your noise is tire wear. Raise or lower the pressure 5lbs and see if the tone changes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never take the clip off. Just loosen the nut and make the adjustment.

I have a nickle that says your noise is tire wear. Raise or lower the pressure 5lbs and see if the tone changes.
I’m pretty sure it’s tire wear/tire noise. I did check my pressures too when I checked the deflection and they were right on the cold pressure spec of 36 front/40 psi rear.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s tire wear/tire noise. I did check my pressures too when I checked the deflection and they were right on the cold pressure spec of 36 front/40 psi rear.
It depends on how you ride, but most people will get some cupping on the front tire at the recommended pressure. The rear tire can cup, or it can cleat, and some abused tires will show both. Cups are low flat spots in the tread, cleats are more like a tapered wear at each tread groove. with one side of the groove being more worn than the other. Makes the tread block look like tractor tire cleats.

A lot of this is due to the small contact patch and high weight of the scooter. Adding some pressure will make the tires wear better. And if you are a rider who rolls into a turn, and then accelerates through the turn, you'll have more rear tire cleating. As adding power make the tire deflect more under the load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@freezeland

I had this same noise concern while leaning at about the same ~2-3k mile mark. It drove me nuts! I changed my tires out to see if that was the issue. Viola.....noise problem solved. The stock Dunlop was causing the 'wah-wah-wah-wah' noise harmonic. Now; I changed both front & rear tires so I can't tell you which tire was making the noise without fail. I can tell you this resolved my noise without fail and the tires are still quiet at ~12k miles now. I changed to Michelin's. Your preference may vary, no right tire.....it's a preference.

Try riding on another road surface type (concrete vs asphalt) into a lean and you should hear the pitch change.....it will still be there, just a little different. That would help confirm the tire is the issue and not the belt. You can also change the air pressure within safety margins to see if that changes the tire pitch [noise] on a known road surface so you have a baseline noise to compare it to. Good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
@freezeland

I had this same noise concern while leaning at about the same ~2-3k mile mark. It drove me nuts! I changed my tires out to see if that was the issue. Viola.....noise problem solved. The stock Dunlop was causing the 'wah-wah-wah-wah' noise harmonic. Now; I changed both front & rear tires so I can't tell you which tire was making the noise without fail. I can tell you this resolved my noise without fail and the tires are still quiet at ~12k miles now. I changed to Michelin's. Your preference may vary, no right tire.....it's a preference.

Try riding on another road surface type (concrete vs asphalt) into a lean and you should hear the pitch change.....it will still be there, just a little different. That would help confirm the tire is the issue and not the belt. You can also change the air pressure within safety margins to see if that changes the tire pitch [noise] on a known road surface so you have a baseline noise to compare it to. Good luck!
Any noise I have ever had has been from crappy wheel bearings. If you adjust the belt, I think you can loosen the nut without removing the clip. At any rate, I have always reused it, just don’t tweak it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts