Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99. Used the pughco swingarm bushing upgrade kit to spherical metal bushing kit with the new rubber isolator hockey pucks. New belt and new trans sprocket. Also new front motor mount. Under hard acceleration still feels like the belt is skipping across the sprocket. Inspected the belt after 15 Miles and belt still looks new. But still no idea what's going on.. anyone have similar problems and how did you fix it? Or anyone maybe have a clue?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
99. Used the pughco swingarm bushing upgrade kit to spherical metal bushing kit with the new rubber isolator hockey pucks. New belt and new trans sprocket. Also new front motor mount. Under hard acceleration still feels like the belt is skipping across the sprocket. Inspected the belt after 15 Miles and belt still looks new. But still no idea what's going on.. anyone have similar problems and how did you fix it? Or anyone maybe have a clue?

Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with all the changes that you made, but I will say that if you have the belt tension correct there is no way the belt could be skipping across the sprocket.

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

If all the parts were installed correctly, I am going to guess that your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree w/TwoWheelAddict. Furthermore, if the belt WAS slipping, the evidence would be VERY obvious in your examination of the belt.

Reactions: Cadman

·
Registered
823 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with all the changes that you made, but I will say that if you have the belt tension correct there is no way the belt could be skipping across the sprocket.

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

If all the parts were installed correctly, I am going to guess that your clutch is slipping.

I've done the spherical bearing conversion a couple of times, they're straightforward and really hard to screw up. So I'm going with your clutch diagnosis, since toothed belts typically only "slip" once as the teeth are shaved off right before they snap...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't lose speed bike keeps accelerating. And I run a energy one clutch with the extra plate kit. The feeling I get is like the belt is slipping across the trans sprocket. Pic is of old sprocket that belt slipped across. New sprocket is all steel

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I don't lose speed bike keeps accelerating. And I run a energy one clutch with the extra plate kit. The feeling I get is like the belt is slipping across the trans sprocket. Pic is of old sprocket that belt slipped across. New sprocket is all steel

What belt tension are you setting it at. It is far better for the belt to be adjusted to the tight side of spec. I'm with everyone else here in saying that there is no way for the belt to slip across the sprocket unless your tension is way too loose or the belt is worn completely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's set to about 3/8 deflection. Belt is new and both pulleys are new. Clutch is energy one. This dosnt feel like clutch slipping. And bike keeps gaining speed. But the whole time feels like the belt is skipping. And iam just trying to track that down

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It's set to about 3/8 deflection. Belt is new and both pulleys are new. Clutch is energy one. This dosnt feel like clutch slipping. And bike keeps gaining speed. But the whole time feels like the belt is skipping. And iam just trying to track that down

3/8th free deflection? Or 3/8th with the tool set to 10lbs?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Free I dont have the tool

Get one, 3/8 free vs. 3/8 10lbs isn't even close. You will either strip or snap the belt running it that loose for to long.

Tool is only about $35 from Harley, or $20 on eBay if your lucky. Belt is about $200 not counting labor.

Get the tool...:smile:

Reactions: RGKen and Trendkill

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Get one, 3/8 free vs. 3/8 10lbs isn't even close. You will either strip or snap the belt running it that loose for to long.

Tool is only about $35 from Harley, or $20 on eBay if your lucky. Belt is about $200 not counting labor.

Get the tool...:smile:
I have a Harley one that someone gave me and I had bought this one off of Amazon. Tried them back to back on the same belt and they were the same. Either way you need to get your tension right. I assumed you had used a gauge and also belt spec seems to have tightened up on the newer bikes. When I rode my bike home from the dealer I noticed a whining noise as I made slow turns in my neighborhood. First thing I did was check the belt and it was as tight as a banjo string. I know how to set belt deflection but since this was a brand new bike I took it back to the dealer the very next day. The SR is a good friend of mine and when I told him about the belt he said they couldn't touch it. The belt tension on the new bikes is set by a machine from the factory and is set at about 1/8"-7/16". After that the belt spec as per the manual is 1/4"-7/16". Finally got him to at least get a tech to check it and it was barely 1/8" and more like 1/16" with the gauge. Since they were OK with it I kept riding it until I did my 1k service and I set it a 1/4" with the gauge. Point being a tight belt is a happy belt. A chain is the opposite and is better on the loose side of spec. Running a loose belt even if it doesn't slip will just cause it to break prematurely.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Part Number for HD belt tension gauge is: 40006-85

Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's fine. Thanks for the help. Belt was pretty loose close to 1 inch or better of deflection with minimal pressure. Adjusted tighter and now not a single skip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts