Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from the races at Daytona and while cleaning the mud off the bike I found that my final drive belt was WAY loose. I measured it both on a jack and on the ground (jiffy stand) and had over an inch of deflection. I never heard or felt anything odd so I was wondering if anyone here has actually had a belt loose enough to rachet on the sprocket and if so; were you able to feel or hear it?

I didn't see any damage to the belt but was still wondering.

·
Registered
483 Posts
unless the check changed on the newer bikes my 01 says to check belt tension with weight on the bike equal to riders weight or as close as you can get.

Eagle

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
How would the weight on the bike affect the tension on the belt?:confused: Anyway I check my tension when I change the oil and always about 1k after a tire change. Last year right before SWIII I had to tighten it, but I don't think I had over an inch of deflection, good thing you caught it before any damage was done.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
unless the check changed on the newer bikes my 01 says to check belt tension with weight on the bike equal to riders weight or as close as you can get.

Eagle
That has changed...... from the 2011 manual:

With motorcycle upright and rear wheel off the ground or on jiffy stand without rider or luggage.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
How would the weight on the bike affect the tension on the belt?:confused:
even though the procedure is different, your question still deserves an answer.

the belt will tighten when the swingarm is raised up, ie. when weight is put on the rear suspension. if you put shorter shocks on the rear, you'll notice that the belt tension will increase then as well.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Thanks skratch, I thought about it afterwards and that's about what I came up with also, you answer clarifies that for me. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
483 Posts
Skratch beat me to it , but that how it was explained to me , and how I check mine .

Eagle

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Well hell then explain the air shocks? Could be wise there's that a belt tensioning measuring thing:confused: or not

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Or if you still have your belt gaurd on has that window, at least on the older models

Yes have heard the belt make flapping sound, you have to be just rear to the left dropped from side-by-side to hear your buds belt if to loose

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mine also was REALLY loose once but, it never did slip or made a noise. Yet, I could "feel" it. I purchased a couple tools from Amazon, followed the service manuel and all is good. This is an easy fix.

·
Registered
758 Posts
even though the procedure is different, your question still deserves an answer.

the belt will tighten when the swingarm is raised up, ie. when weight is put on the rear suspension. if you put shorter shocks on the rear, you'll notice that the belt tension will increase then as well.
The belt is tightest when the swingarm is in the middle of it's travel. With the Monroe air ride mod, the belt is looser at the top and bottom of the swingarm travel. I set my tension to the minimum deflection at the tightest point in the travel. OP needs to inspect things like wheel bearings, belt condition, and bearings on the output shaft of the trans as well as torque on the axle nut if this is a sudden change in belt tension.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Just a tip....... The manual specs, in my opinion, is to tight, I have tightened it using those specs in the past and once the belt heats up a bit while riding, it tightens up so keep that in mind. I keep about 3/4 - 3/8 deflection and it works well for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts