Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping for advice. I have a road glide ultra and bent my handle bars ...they're not twisted...but bent. My question is...are these fixable or will I need to get new ones? I'm bringing it into the dealer for the 1000 mile check up and need to know if I should have them fix them (if that's possible). They're just slightly bent...happened when I was picking it up...and please don't ask what happened...it's a very sore subject. Thanks for any advice or info. Dave

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hi all - I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping for advice. I have a road glide ultra and bent my handle bars ...they're not twisted...but bent. My question is...are these fixable or will I need to get new ones? I'm bringing it into the dealer for the 1000 mile check up and need to know if I should have them fix them (if that's possible). They're just slightly bent...happened when I was picking it up...and please don't ask what happened...it's a very sore subject. Thanks for any advice or info. Dave
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry about the bars. I would never trust or be comfortable with bent bars. Do some research, sit on some other bikes and make lemonade out of the lemons: get a set of bars that you prefer. I have gotten used to the stock bars, but they would not have been my first choice.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the Tank.
You found a great group of folks here.

Sorry to hear about your bent bars. I doubt you would have been happy with them for very long (presuming they are stock).

Replacing the handlebars was basically the first mod I did. I went with the Heritage Style handlebars which have about two inches more pullback and are a bit wider than the stock bars.

Here is my thread -
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=32261

Paraphrasing previous posts, don't trust the bent bar for too long and don't try to straighten it. Use this opportunity to get something you will be more comfortable with and put your personal touch on the bike.

Hope you get this taken care of soon.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Florida. As others have stated don't trust bent bars, and I wouldn't try to fix them. I never liked the stock bars personally. IMine are hanging on the wall in my garage. If your dealer can't help you out and you want stock, you can have mine for just shipping costs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't think a dealer will touch bent bars for litigation reasons. I hope it works out for you plenty of good people here to help. I was pretty nervous to do my bars and with the help of the threads in here I got them done. Welcome from CT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

All - thanks for the feedback...very much appreciated. I think the right thing for me to do is get new bars when I go for the 1000 mile check up (in a few weeks). I'm very tall so the Heritage bars look interesting...and I'll check them out. Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I personally like the Heritage bars.
You may like something else that is taller or has more / less pullback. (Apes)?

Best of luck in your choice on new bars.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes I would just change them I put the heritage bars on mine I like the BUT the other day I sat on a guys rg with 13 in bars and they were awesome I'm sure I'm going to change mine out now. But how can you leave us hanging about your story just kidding glad your ok and welcome

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I personally like the Heritage bars.
You may like something else that is taller or has more / less pullback. (Apes)?

Best of luck in your choice on new bars.
You will find that the Heritage Bars cost less than the stock bars. I have them, and love them.
Chrome 56902-08, Black 55864-09. Both cost $79.95 MSRP. But I bet Harley will cover under warranty.
As far as "Bent Bars", one word, "Change". You are better off changing the bars than trusting the bent ones.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Besides all of the above, you'll probably find that the stock bars are stainless steel as most HDs, unlike jap crap, yes SS can be chromed, SS is nickel and chrome in proportions along times with iron and trace others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts