Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my speaker lids painted and ready to put on the roadglide. I have a 4 channel arc audio 600rms amp to go with them. I have the hertz HCX 165 in the front fairing on 2 channels so that leaves me the other 2 channels for the 6x9's. Wanted to get an update on other riders opinions on which 6x9's to go with. Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am running a similar set up:
2015 Stock Head Unit w/ Navigation
Arc Audio PSM Digital Sound Processor
Arc Audio 600.4 Amplifier
Hertz HCX 165 (6.5") up front
Hertz HCX 690 (6x9") in bag lids.

I have been very happy with this set up. And have been through severe rain with no issues (I was afraid and made sure that the radio was off during the rain storm).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
On the other forum in the audio section there has been a lot of discussion about this. Those guys try out and test more audio equipment than you can imagine. The overall top 2 comes down to the Pioneer 6900pros and the DD. No need to look any further than those 2.
What are your goals for those speakers, your system? Budget? Answer those questions and you get your choice.
I went with the 6900. At the time it was what was recommended to me. I have a bridged ss pn4. 1000d powering them. They get plenty of power and they get loud as hell. Im totally satisfied with them for now. The DD 6x9 are supposed to be even better.
Either way they are your #1 and #2 choices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dglide, how do you like the hertz 6x9's? They scream highs with the 6.5's. Was curious about the 6x9's. How is the bass response on them? Thanks.
Phillyfan, how is your bass response on your 6x9's? I know I won't get the subwoofer effect with them. But I'm hoping to get a little something by using good speakers. And budget wise, idk maybe 2-400 on the pair.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Phillyfan, just looked up the VO-M6x9. People say they aren't very good with bass only 100htz
Talk to Alex at Bagger Audio Lab about the DD and what you want. Like I said its going to come down to what you want out of your system. If you want bass, Alex can get you there but it won't be with 6X9s I would bet.
He is a super cool dude and he can/will steer you in the right direction.
Im happy with the 6900s. You just can't get that banging bass with 6x9. This winter I will be pulled out for PA stuff up front, not sure about out back.

Go to the other forum and into the audio section. There is a video thread with all different setups. Not the best way to judge but it will give you a idea. Some of those guys go all in and have incredible systems, totally different than a "Package bought" system

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dglide, how do you like the hertz 6x9's? They scream highs with the 6.5's. Was curious about the 6x9's. How is the bass response on them? Thanks.
Phillyfan, how is your bass response on your 6x9's? I know I won't get the subwoofer effect with them. But I'm hoping to get a little something by using good speakers. And budget wise, idk maybe 2-400 on the pair.
I am very happy with the Hertz 6x9's. I use the Arc Audio PSM signal processor to dial in how much "screaming highs" I have. I believe I have the 6x9's set up as a band pass of 105Hz-5000Hz. I have the lower end roll off at 6db per octave and the highs roll off at either 12 or 24db per octave. 6x9's typically are not set up for below 100Hz. Most speaker spec pages will give you a "Fs" number. Rule of thumb is to multiply this number by 2 and that will give you the safe low end frequency that you can play the speaker at for extended periods of time without causing damage to the speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
In my opinion,
#1 HAT 6x9: incredible range and very rich bass
#2 Pioneer 6900: very loud boomy bass. Good value
#3 DD VO 6x9: loud boomy bass, decent mid-range. No mids or highs

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have the hertz mille 6.5's in fairing and the hertz mille 6x9's in lids and love them. I also like the HAT 6x9's as well. I have them in another bike with the Millie's in the fairing as well. I have been through a dozen speaker combinations and so far these are the end result. Only other speaker i would like to get around to testing is the carbon 65 from soundz.

·
Registered
684 Posts
In my opinion,
#1 HAT 6x9: incredible range and very rich bass
#2 Pioneer 6900: very loud boomy bass. Good value
#3 DD VO 6x9: loud boomy bass, decent mid-range. No mids or highs

Now thats a man whose opinion I would listen to.

Nice to see you back Karl.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sloride, how are the mids and highs on the pioneer? I know a lot of people use them. And is the bass response better on the pioneer than the hertz 690? I appreciate all the opinions fellas thanks so much

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sloride, how are the mids and highs on the pioneer? I know a lot of people use them. And is the bass response better on the pioneer than the hertz 690? I appreciate all the opinions fellas thanks so much
$$$ for $$$ the Pioneer 6900 is an excellent value. Pretty decent Mids and Highs. I have not heard the Pioneers and the Hertz 690 side by side.

6x9" lid speakers are mostly parking lot and around town cruising speakers. Your not going to get a lot from them @ 70-80 MPH. IMO go with a full range coaxial speaker in this location.

If your willing to cut another hole in your bags and add a horn, that's where the DD VO 6x9 speakers really come into their own. They are a Pro Audio 6x9" mid range driver and can really thump but have no Upper mids and highs. That's where adding a horn fills that gap. To really take advantage of this setup, you will need some sort of DSP. Setup correctly with a good balanced front stage this can be a killer stereo.

As for me...I am not cutting my lids, so I use a full range coaxial speaker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Phillyfan, just looked up the VO-M6x9. People say they aren't very good with bass only 100htz
We cross the VO 6X9 down to about 60hz, and because of their sensitivity they get louder and thump harder than most 6X9's on the market. If you have a good front fairing speaker, I think the VO's provide some of the best rear fill sound of any 6X9 on the market.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts