Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my son and I travel it seems that we bounce from dealer to dealer on some rides. Most of them are pretty much the same like out of some corporate mold dictated by H-D themselves. On our travels through Wisconsin we stumbled on Doc's Harley of Shawano County. Like no other dealer we have ever been to. Steve "Doc" Hopkins races top fuel drag bikes. You could easily spend a couple hours at this dealer and not see everything. Great car and cycle collection, all kinds of crazy bike builds an ark on wheels and even an exotic animal room. This is a must see dealer. Easily my favorite dealer. Tell us about your favorites so we can all check them out in our travels.- Ride On-

·
Registered
142 Posts
Three dealerships that stand out in my mind would be Thundermountain H-D @ Loveland, CO. Awesome dealer with bad a$$ views of the Rocky Mountains.
High Desert H-D @ Meridian, ID (Boise). Pretty good prices with their bikes and good customer service. Great Falls, MT was a good one as well.

One of my worst dealers of all time would be Arrowhead H-D off of Bell Rd in Phoenix, AZ. Horrible service all the way around. Stay away from these clowns.

·
Registered
218 Posts
my best would have to be Harley Davidson of Corpus Christi, Texas. Second would be HD of Abu Dhabi United Arab Emerates. Worst would be Ft Thunder HD in Moore Oklahoma. all around terible.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Kersting's "in" Winamc, IN is an old dealership like nothing you've seen. Small museum out back, parts guys who know their stuff. Not a corporate cookie cutter by any stretch either.
They are in between Kokomo and South Bend, IN.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm a big fan of Dudley-Perkins in San Francisco. Walking through there is like being in a museum. I've spent a lot of time in there and still haven't seen everything.

Dudley-Perkins is one of the oldest H-D Dealers in existance. They moved from their original location in downtown SF to South SF a couple years ago. Before then, they were in the same building since about 1914. I believe it's still owned by the same family.

If you're ever in SF, check it out. It's located just north of the airport.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
One that comes to mind is "#1 Cycle Center" in Center Hall, PA (Near State College). It's on a huge piece of property with a large pavilion, a huge horse sculpture made from chrome take-off parts, and the owner is an Evel Knievel fan- He has two of his bikes on display along with a number of antique Harleys, Bultacos, etc.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
On our travels through Wisconsin we stumbled on Doc's Harley of Shawano County. Like no other dealer we have ever been to. Steve "Doc" Hopkins races top fuel drag bikes. You could easily spend a couple hours at this dealer and not see everything. Great car and cycle collection, all kinds of crazy bike builds an ark on wheels and even an exotic animal room.
I just went on Doc's web site. Good lord, what a place. It has everything. Do you think that guy makes any money on bikes?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
For me I have only been to 1 bad now defunct dealer Shumate HD here in Spokane but three stand out Beartooth HD in Red Lodge Mt my 2 friends and I had just ridden over Beartooth in snow and were soaked and cold the ladies at the Dealership let us hang up our wet clothes and made us hot chocolate. The other is HWY 101 HD in Coos Bay Or every time I've been there I've gotten great service plus it's a nice older small dealership which is a nice change from all the huge stores everyone seems to have these days. Lonewolf HD which is my local dealer has been very good since taking over from the defunct Shumate HD.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went on Doc's web site. Good lord, what a place. It has everything. Do you think that guy makes any money on bikes?

Think he probably made some money drag racing also. His car collection is amazing. His builds are crazy, a very talented man. If you are in Milwaukee or Green Bay well worth the drive. Plan on spending a couple hours or more if your into Cars and Cycles. Also have a great service dept. from what I have been told.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am not much of a dealer dweller other than a few parts I might need but have had really nice experiences at Route 66 here in Tulsa and Pig Trail in Rogers Ark.
As far as bad ; Stay the hell away from fort Thunder in Moore, Ok. Real friggin dickheads!!!

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
In the DC-VA-MD metro area, the stealers are consumed with exploiting the relatively high incomes. 90 miles to he south is "country" type dealer. Sadly, the owner is in failing health and his kids are not cut from the same cloth. Consequently they brought in "new minds". What was once a cool country desitination dealership is now no diferent than the money grubbing lying scum closer to DC. DOOF

·
Registered
516 Posts
my best would have to be Harley Davidson of Corpus Christi, Texas. Second would be HD of Abu Dhabi United Arab Emerates. Worst would be Ft Thunder HD in Moore Oklahoma. all around terible.
I second Ft. Thunder being the worst.... Salesman on the phone told me he'd beat any deal on a roadglide, I told him what Rt. 66 Harley offered he said I just needed to come down.. Took him the paperwork from Rt. 66 Harley, he told me there was nothing he could do... He couldn't even match it.. Basically waste 2 hours of my time and Gas money....

·
Registered
983 Posts
The other is HWY 101 HD in Coos Bay Or every time I've been there I've gotten great service plus it's a nice older small dealership which is a nice change from all the huge stores everyone seems to have these days.
+1 on Hiway 101 HD. Both the new owners and the previous owners are great people.

I bought my 2004 Road King new from them back in '04. They made me a deal that made it worth driving from Seattle to Coos Bay.

My buddy had a tire problem on our way south 2 years ago. We were further up the Oregon coast and they said they would wait for us and get us in. We stopped every 20 minutes to add air to his tire (tube type) and still managed to get there early enough that it wasn't a problem. They rolled the bike into the shop and started work on it as soon as we got there. We were pretty appreciative of the customer service - that could have cost us a day of vacation just waiting around.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the mother of all scumbag dealerships is ...the envelope please

Lombardi's of staten island ny. My friend went there and got a sprocket cover put on and on the way home on the highway one of the sprocket bolts came loose and abruptly stopped the bike . Another guy got handle bar work and his bars came off when on the highway. My friend ordered a windshield and they gave him a used one in a new box. They took the lead when charging extra during the waiting list years. The dealership is the worst i have ever been in, their toilet does not have a sink... Do not shake their hands. The garage looks like a filthy hell hole . All around scumbags when it comes to dealing with them in any way shape or form.

MR HARLEY DAVIDSON CHAIRMAN... TEAR DOWN THIS DEALERSHIP.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Treasure Coast Harley in Stuart FL, great service, parts guys are the best, and great place to just hang out. Makes you feel like it's a club house not a dealer.

Jay

·
Registered
908 Posts
Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson in Maryville TN is a very good dealer. Its a Big new store built out of and old Lowe's. The Owner is very active in the store and there most the time. The owner is a rider, and a damn good rider, the floor boards and exhaust is ground down from where he drags in most all corners.

The staff is very friendly.

They have what they call the shed on the side of the store, its a covered area for concerts, every Saturday night and some fridays. They also have stinkers a BBQ place and Beer joint, all on site. Nice place to sit and relax after a ride on the foot hills parkway, Dragon, or Cherahala skyway.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Timpanogos

I like Timpanogos in Lindon, UT. It's an interesting building (recycled factory) that has a burger joint ajoined. They also slide travelers into service with ease.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts