Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I would like your opinion on the best set of handlebars for an arthritis sufferer.
I live with rheumatoid arthritis and I do not want it ruining my riding. I would like your opinions on which handle bars would offer the best wrist angle and better control. I am 5' 10" with an average reach. I am thinking about changing to a seat that moves me closer to the bars as well. This is really all about comfort and control..
Thankyou for your time and opinions

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm 5'10", I would try the cheapest first. just because you can go through alot of cash trying to figure it out. Heritage bars would be my first try, unless you can find someone around your height that would let you check out their bars. With Heritage bars you would not have to change any clutch or brake lines. Should be pretty simple try. And you can pick those up pretty cheap here or on ebay.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I have the Heritage bars and up until recently had not considered changing them. Lately though I have a constant pain in my left elbow, more so after riding and I think the wrist angle from these bars may be part of the problem.

I think a set of bars with a more straight across wrist angle position may help and I will be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

·
Registered
454 Posts
They look different but are fully adjustable.

HeliBars can be adjusted in a wide range to find the comfort your looking for. Also, Arlen Ness has come out with modular handlebars. Figure one adjustable sets better than buying multiple sets of bars.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I hate to say it cause I do not like their customer service, but Sinister Industries Road Glide drag bars work wonderful. I have arthritis in my right hand (VA disability) and these bars work really nice for me. I bought them purely for the comfort and they do that plus look great. They are alittle on the pricey side but if you suffer from wrist or elbow pains then these should work for you. They handle almost like drag bars but with the comforts of beach bars. I can take the twisties with the best of them.

If it helps, I am 6 foot with a 27inch reach from arm pit to palm of hand. The bars are slightly swept back so you aren't having to lean into them to reach. I can sit back in my stock seat and reach the bars with full control.

I was also able to install them without having to change out any of the lines, a definite plus when you are trying to save some cash.

Good luck and I hope which ever bars you go with give you at least some relief when riding.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Heritage style bars and I use my driver backrest. No pain but my hands tend to tingle. Cruise control allows me to move hand positions throughout the ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
I thinks is going to be between Sinister's Road Glide Drag bars, heritage style or Carlini drag bars..I just have to get behind a set to make sure..Atleast the heritage style is relatively cheap..
Thanks again and I really appreciate the help
Mike

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have Khrome Werks 2 + 2's on mine and really like them. Went from heritage bars to these and have no complaints. The cables and wiring worked with only a slight reroute of the clutch cable.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
I thinks is going to be between Sinister's Road Glide Drag bars, heritage style or Carlini drag bars..I just have to get behind a set to make sure..Atleast the heritage style is relatively cheap..
Thanks again and I really appreciate the help
Mike
I was going to mention the Carlinis, that's what I have, they sit similar to the sinister bars. I'm 5'8" and they are very comfortable to me, but I don't have arthritis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts