Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning towards Hertz HCX in the standard position and a Soundstream Nano 4.520 amp in the fairing. I'm thinking that this should be pretty solid 2 speaker set up for less than $400. Any suggestions for better alternatives? Also, what are the best adapter and grill options for the money?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I like the Fosgate PBR amps a little better than the Nano's for the adjustable cross over. Hawg Wired have the best adapters I've found. They are like $50 on eBay

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Hawg Wired, definitely for the 6.5 adapters and wired grills. I have the Sound Stream Nano now. It's a good amp. Like RR said ,I liked the sound of the PBR better , but it didn't last long down here in the GA. heat.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats the next step up options in a small amp. Hawg wired is 400 amps vs 520 for the nano. But the Hawg wired is $400 retail vs. $100 for the nano. I think I'll need some substantial power to drive the HCX.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like more power for less money than the Hawg Wired RS400. 140 watts continuous bridged should do a nice job with just 2 HCX's. Will 2 HCX's handle all of 200 continuous from the 4.400 bridged?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
They are rated at 130 I think. More is better than less but I'd be careful. It's difficult to hear distortion at 75mph. Set the gains carefully in the garage and know what volume you can't go beyond

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm leaning towards Hertz HCX in the standard position and a Soundstream Nano 4.520 amp in the fairing. I'm thinking that this should be pretty solid 2 speaker set up for less than $400. Any suggestions for better alternatives? Also, what are the best adapter and grill options for the money?
Those speakers are power hungry. . . Best two channel amp for those speakers is going to be the Cerwin Vega B2. You won't be disappointed!

http://jbtoolsales.com/cerwin-vega-...s-amplifier/?gclid=CPLH4aCi3MICFaHm7AodZmkA_A

·
Registered
66 Posts
The soundstream Nano will do the trick. I have mine paired with 4 Infinity Kappa's and I really like the sound. Probably 300-350 for 2 Kappas and the amp....

·
Super Moderator
12,753 Posts
I admit the Hawgwired amps aren't cheap, but they're worth what they cost. Frank at Dragos can get you the best price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That opinion might be just a tad bit biased.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't mind having a VIP discount code. Im in the market for speakers! What would be the amp requirements for these speakers? And, where would you recommend getting the other stuff that is required for installation of these?

well maybe, but it is still the truth ,,,,,,,,

I have been doing this for 38 years and I would not post it here if it was not true ,,,,,

would you like the J&M R/G forums VIP discount promo code ?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Hertz are power hungry. I have a three way XL set up in the front doors of my car with 500 watts going to them with no problems for 3 years. I was taught to run max watt to speakers so you don't have to turn it up nearly as much to get the same volume. By running to less power you turn it up to max which causes distortion. Distortion causes heat ,which destroys speakers. I've run my systems this way all the time and have never smoked a speaker!! Currently have 3000 watts in my car. And no I don't boom boom blast it down the street. It's a crystal clear sounding system. Even have 5.1 surround to watch movies!! I'm going to put Hertz SPL Show 6.5 's and ST25 tweeters in my Roadglide. With a HDP 4 bridged. 500 watts per side. Should rock down the road!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The Hertz are power hungry. I have a three way XL set up in the front doors of my car with 500 watts going to them with no problems for 3 years. I was taught to run max watt to speakers so you don't have to turn it up nearly as much to get the same volume. By running to less power you turn it up to max which causes distortion. Distortion causes heat ,which destroys speakers. I've run my systems this way all the time and have never smoked a speaker!! Currently have 3000 watts in my car. And no I don't boom boom blast it down the street. It's a crystal clear sounding system. Even have 5.1 surround to watch movies!! I'm going to put Hertz SPL Show 6.5 's and ST25 tweeters in my Roadglide. With a HDP 4 bridged. 500 watts per side. Should rock down the road!!
The HDP 4 amp is awesome! I'm using it to push 6 hertz at the moment, and still has juice to add another set.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
575 Posts
We're kinda running away from the "modest cost" part of the thread aren't we. LOL

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am running two of the Soundstream PN4.520D amps with eight 6.5" Infinity Kappas and I can say the amps have been solid, and are reasonably priced. The only drawback to the amps, is the size, they are a little large.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Changed my Cycle Sounds front speakers out for INFINITY 62.11I 6.5" KAPPA's and stuck with the Cycle Sounds amp which by the way fits perfectly under the radio. Really big difference in sound! I picked them up for about 90.00 on E-bay and fit perfect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts