Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning trip with new RGU to tail of dragon. I would appreciate any advice you could give on best places to stay. mmost important to me is a soft bed. going,to,ride 1200 miles just get there and dont want take chance sleeping on rock. thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich, thanks for info. saw your location. I made rout 66 run to LA last year best part was heading home i went from LA to San Diego on hwy 1. Stayed at Dana point on mission bay. Had blast. born there but been in tx since 3

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I'm originally from VA. I'm excited to explore Cali. Went to Tail of the Dragon last year for wife's birthday. You will love Fontana Dam if you stay there. If you are going solo, that place also provides a bit of what passes for night life in the area ;)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
My advice is to stay someplace as close as possible. Last two years that I have went up there we stayed in Maggie Valley and even though it is a nice little village and the rooms were nice (Applecove Inn) it just sucked coming back at night in the dark in the rain in the mountains. I think I am going to take the others advice for next year and stay in Fontana Dam, seemed nice when we road through there.

Where ever you stay, have fun, stay safe, and post pics on here!

·
Registered
498 Posts
We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Pigeon Forge TN. Nice place, plenty of night life around it and a dealership next door. Decent ride to Skyine Drive anf the Tail.

·
Registered
417 Posts
2 wheel Inn in Robbinsville NC is right between the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway. Nice and clean and a garage right next to each room. Pretty cool feature. Not a Radisson but very clean and comfy.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Pigeon Forge TN and Gatlinburg have some place you can get a low price if that is what your looking for. They did not seem to be over booked last year in May.
Neither are far from the Dragon and a good ride to it.
They both also have some very fancy place if that is what you want.
I will be staying at Mountain Loft again in May.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
http://www.majesticmountainvacations.com/
We rented a cabin from this site. 4 couples, 4 bikes and a support vehicle all stayed in a 5 bed room unit with pool table, big screen TV hot tub, grill, etc. pidgeon Forge is not far from the dragon and plenty to do. Remote enough to be left alone but close to civilization.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We stayed at the Fontana Village when we were out that way earlier this year. It is in a great location and it was nice place to stay.

There are a couple of negatives (at least in my opinion).
1) The parking lot is horrible. The whole thing is sloped downhill bad enough that getting the bike off the side stand can be an issue. I saw several bikes dropped trying to move around in the parking area.
2) I did not notice the "night life", not much was happening after 9:00PM.
3) Limited places to eat. They have a restaurant and a bar on site, both were closed by 9:00 PM when we were there. So plan to eat before returning to the hotel if you plan on riding around all day.

These are not negative comments, just something that should be considered before you get there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville is good and Fontana Village is good too (a bit pricey though). If you're coming from the North, stop in Maggie Valley at the Country Manor; hands down the cleanest hotel ivd seen up there. Very nice owners too. Hampton Inn in Franklin is reasonable and nice; a great one hour ride on Hwy 28 to the Dragon.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
+1 on Two Wheel Inn if you're planning to ride the Dragon, Skyway, Moonshiner 28 etc.. Clean basic hotel with great owners. Lots of other great roads around there to ride as well and the owners of the hotel knows a lot of the good rides.

As some have said there are lots of choices in and around Gatlinburg as well but if I'm down there to ride I prefer staying on the Robinsville/Cherokee/Bryson City side of the mountains. Me and the OL go to Gatlinburg once or twice a year to kick back, maybe shop a little, but there are better, closer choices if it's a riding vacation.

Also I don't know if you're inquiring about going down still this year or just gathering information but be aware lots of things around Deals Gap close around Oct. 31st.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts