Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what dealerships near you guys are asking for the crate motor or any special pricing deals going on? My dealer has the 20% off deal going on, but wont discount the crate engines, best he would do is 200 off. Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
15% off if they did install on new bike. VIP members get 15% off at Boston, Seacoast and Rochester HD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just wondering what dealerships near you guys are asking for the crate motor or any special pricing deals going on? My dealer has the 20% off deal going on, but wont discount the crate engines, best he would do is 200 off. Thanks in advance for replies.
$5695 for the 120ST crate motor, no discount. I believe they are doing 10-15% discount on labor if ya do it over the wintertime.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The dealer cost on the 120ST motor is around 20% off list , they don't have the margin in these like accessories, in my area you can buy them at 10% off if you buy it out right , 15% if you let them install , guys that can't sell Harley motors always bash them for the brands that they sell , that being said I know guys with S & S MOtors and Harley motors and all are happy , I love my 120ST

·
Registered
138 Posts
Harley Davidson builds motorcycles, S&S builds motorcycle engines.

IMO and IME S&S products improve upon every short coming HD produces.

Builders will use the most reliable parts (often combining several brands of components) and HD hasn't IMExperience been their top shelf bolt in pick(s).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Harley crankshafts are hit or miss in a big H.P. & TQ. Motors. Some of them have come apart in some of Harley 120 motors. The S&S crank is bullet proof. Your dealer will disagree, this is to be expected. This has been discussed in length on another form. For piece of mind, the Harley crank should be welded.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It also depends on weather or not you have a local Indy that can install the S&S or if you have to travel. Or do you get treated well by your dealership. For me I didn't know of a reliable Indy that would install the S&S and help back it if anything went wrong. I have a dealership that has always done me right and I felt they would continue to do so if there were any issues with the 120ST. It is important to me to have local backing and not have to haul the bike anywhere.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The miles of fun/reliability of a 124" combo will far outweigh any games the dealers decide to play.
FWIW, we have had local dealers use our builds as a sales tool.
Scott

·
Registered
546 Posts
Most dealers don't give any extra for performance upgrades at the time of trade in. Some in fact, give less thinking the bike has been abused. A S&S 124LC will be a better, more reliable crate motor than a 120ST.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I was talking to the salesman at my local dealer about aftermarket motors and trade in. They give less on trade in.
If trade in comes into the equation of your decisions making on putting a large engine in your bike, you should just keep what you have. Anytime you build an engine with high end parts and performance parts, you never get back what you put in. If that's what you are worried about, by the engine of choice outright and then put your original engine back in when you trade it off. Many choose this route.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
A S&S 124LC will be a better, more reliable crate motor than a 120ST.
Probably but that is yet to be seen. Just because the R had some issues on the first run doesn't mean they haven't fixed them now plus the ST has a one year warranty and like I said above it just depends on his local dealership vs Indy reliability and backing. I've read also that the S&S 124" have had some issues as well and I know one person here locally that is one of them. With all that being said, if the OP wants to take it out and race his buds and put it through its paces then the S&S would be the way to go. If he just wants to ride then the ST will be more than up to the challenge. It is much better built than what comes in these things to start with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts