Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Ok, so (as mentioned in another thread), we picked up our 2022 CVO RGL in Dante's and we are indeed, some fairly happy campers!

We traded in our 2011 CVO RGU in Rio Red that was an absolutely stellar machine for my wife and I. It was indeed tricked out about as much as anyone would want for a 'full dresser'...it'll find a great home, we're sure!

New bike so far:
-131 kit ordered and should arrive mid-October
-Ohlin's 772's
-CVO Black Chrome Rinehart exhaust getting installed tomorrow
-Currently sitting with a dyno'd 105HP/126TQ on JUST deleted cat head pipe/DBX45 slip-on's and 3 hours or great SE tuning from my dealers' master tech
-Many add-on lighting gizmos (bag lights/fogs/halo turn signals, etc)

BUT...and the big ol' booty of a BUTT if I do say so...is the windshield.

For a variety of reasons, we picked this new bike. Yes, great improvement in comfort (more room in the back for my 5'4/125lb wifey, amazing new seat), Boom GTS vs ol' sh!t, etc. and on and on...And oh yeah, the frickin' color combo!!

Anyway, I've heard SOOOOO much over the years about Rushmore...like dang, so much.

We hop on the bike, pull out of the dealership and hit the highway and ride for an hour. Both of us hopped off, looked at each other and said "Wow, the wind is brutal"...

Literally, that's what we both said...

I'm a bit of an engineering kinda' dude and I get the "airflow fluid dynamic's proposed concept" of the Rushmore-theme-design.

Simple mixture of pushing air (solid yet aerodynamically controlled surfaces) aligned with air-radiators (allocated sections of solid sections designed to allow airflow THROUGH). All of this to say...the idea was to mix the two so that the rider(s) would experience less turbulence.

Or so it was proposed.
In actuality, I personally get MORE wind buffeting on the upper part of me (chest and above) than my STOCK pre-Rushmore 2011. Especially because of the big a$$ open-vents near the headlight (read all them threads about that decision!)
Oh, and my wifey? Well, way more buffeting on her knoggin' than ever before.

Let me just say, one of the items we had on the 2011 we traded in was the Madstad 13 inch in dark gray...

The difference is pretty severe.

So, we ain't tradin' this thing back in. We've spent a pretty penny on her and she is groovy on 7 1/2 sides of an 8 sided dance floor, but dang'....I cannot say enough how little of an improvement the Rushmore is to (at least) us.

My question is...for all of those that have been in our shoes, Madstad again?
Or...what?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried the XL Clearview then the 17" Freedom touring shield on my 22 Limited and wasted a ton of cash. I blocked the lower vents with a piece of black coarse foam, shut the top vent on the when on the highway, and still had more buffeting than I could deal with. I ordered the Madstad and all the issues went away after a few small adjustments. I'm a taller rider and it cured the problem of the dancing prescription eyewear no I can sit in a clean pocket of air even with the top vent open and the passenger has the same protection. The Madstad for me just works and I was on the fence with the optics, but I'm digging the way It looks.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Special in Snake Venom 🐍
530 Posts
I have the Freedom Shields 14” touring on mine. Selected the size per their instructions. I also installed a set of GLADS as well. Don’t get bounced around at all. Seeing you got the limited you have the lowers so the GLADS won’t work for you. I would definitely check the windshield height of the factory one as it relates to your height.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you had the Madstad before, I'm sure you will be equally happy with the Madstad now. There is zero doubt they make one of the best functioning shields; it's the "optics" that throw people off and in turn they go a different direction

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
If you had the Madstad before, I'm sure you will be equally happy with the Madstad now. There is zero doubt they make one of the best functioning shields; it's the "optics" that throw people off and in turn they go a different direction
I think Madstads are pretty hot looking, especially the dark tint ones

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Hi all!
Ok, so (as mentioned in another thread), we picked up our 2022 CVO RGL in Dante's and we are indeed, some fairly happy campers!

We traded in our 2011 CVO RGU in Rio Red that was an absolutely stellar machine for my wife and I. It was indeed tricked out about as much as anyone would want for a 'full dresser'...it'll find a great home, we're sure!

New bike so far:
-Ohlin's 772's
-Currently sitting with a dyno'd 105HP/126TQ on JUST deleted cat head pipe/DBX45 slip-on's and 3 hours or great SE tuning from my dealers' master tech

For a variety of reasons, we picked this new bike. Yes, great improvement in comfort (more room in the back for my 5'4/125lb wifey, amazing new seat), Boom GTS vs ol' sh!t, etc. and on and on...And oh yeah, the frickin' color combo!!

Anyway, I've heard SOOOOO much over the years about Rushmore...like dang, so much.

We hop on the bike, pull out of the dealership and hit the highway and ride for an hour. Both of us hopped off, looked at each other and said "Wow, the wind is brutal"...

I'm a bit of an engineering kinda' dude and I get the "airflow fluid dynamic's proposed concept" of the Rushmore-theme-design.

Simple mixture of pushing air (solid yet aerodynamically controlled surfaces) aligned with air-radiators (allocated sections of solid sections designed to allow airflow THROUGH). All of this to say...the idea was to mix the two so that the rider(s) would experience less turbulence.

Or so it was proposed.
In actuality, I personally get MORE wind buffeting on the upper part of me (chest and above) than my STOCK pre-Rushmore 2011. Especially because of the big a$$ open-vents near the headlight (read all them threads about that decision!)

Let me just say, one of the items we had on the 2011 we traded in was the Madstad 13 inch in dark gray...

So, we ain't tradin' this thing back in. We've spent a pretty penny on her and she is groovy on 7 1/2 sides of an 8 sided dance floor, but dang'....I cannot say enough how little of an improvement the Rushmore is to (at least) us.

Or...what?

Thanks in advance!!
Like I said, Madstad.

Also you can get vent covers for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all!

New bike so far:
-Ohlin's 772's

Or so it was proposed.

Or...what?

Thanks in advance!!
Take a look at klock werks pro touring flare.. they're avail in three different heights 10", 12" & 15" i know of two shark riders & they both love the functionality of them
call phil @ https://www.harleypartscheap.com/ not only is he a independent business owner he's also a rider
mention this great forum as well...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Also TLDR...I had a Madstad on my '13, it was great and was the only one of 3 or 4 shields I tried that got rid of the buffeting on my head. On my '22, the Freedom shield works great, mine is 12 or 13, I think the vents on the newer bikes serve the same purpose as did the two piece design of the Madstad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went from a stock windshield on my RG to a KlockWerks Pro-Touring Flare in 12" - color "tint". That is one awesome windshield! I'm 5'-11" and the only place I feel any wind is around my biceps on both arms. In fact, on hot days sometimes I wish I had more wind. Very nice windshield! Only complaint if you can call it that, is I wish I would have ordered the dark smoke color.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
I’m a huge fan of my 6.5” Memphis Shades but I don’t ride with a passenger. My wife came off a SG and told me the only way she’d own a RG is if the shield went up and over her head lol. She now owns a pre Rushmore with a Madstad shield. If I were you I’d get another Madstad.

Reactions: xqwisit
1 - 20 of 22 Posts