Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I know I am going to open up a can of worms and that there are a hundred threads on here that talk about a lot of this same information, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway.
I don't plan on adding an amp anytime in the near future, but would like to get the best sounding speaker I can for now. If I'm not adding an amp, what would that be? I know it's a lot of matter of opinion, but I'm hoping to get some good responses so that, if nothing else, I can at least decide which ones NOT to get.
Thanks for the time and help,

·
Registered
363 Posts
I hear really positive reviews of the J&M Rokker XTs.

BTW, adding an amp ain't hard and not much more money. It'd make a huge difference.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Personally anything will sound better than the stock speakers. I too dont have plans for an amp but i went with a set of 6.5 Polks. They sound much better than stock but not as good as they could with an amp.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I bought my '09 new. Using stock speakers, the radio is not heard clearly at freeway speeds. I did not want spend the money and use an amp. So, I saved up and after a year, I changed the stock speakers to the J&M 7.25 Performance speaker kit. I have had good luck in the past using J&M speakers on earlier Harleys I have owned. So I found a great deal on their 7.25" speakers. (Bigger speakers=more sound?) The kit includes the adapters to use the larger speakers, and covers that have tweeters and mid-range speakers. After I installed them I found that I now could clearly hear the radio at freeway speeds, (just not "Blasting").

I enjoyed the J&M speakers. But sometimes I wanted to really "Blast" a songs. So I replaced the speakers and have installed a Hawg Wired DCS Amp and Speaker kit. The kit is a "Plug-N-Play" set up. So you may think about saving and getting the Amp and speakers as a kit.
I was luck. I was at the Shark Week II last year and won the kit. :D Best Rally EVER!!
Another good reason to go to Shark Week III.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
If you are set and never plan to add an amp the regular 7.25" from JM are good, you'd be wasting money on the Rokkers. If you ever decided to go with an amp, whole different story, IMO.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are set and never plan to add an amp the regular 7.25" from JM are good, you'd be wasting money on the Rokkers. If you ever decided to go with an amp, whole different story, IMO.

So it sounds like the stories I keep getting are quit being a tightwad and go ahead and spend the extra $300 on an amp???? :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I had the J&Ms with an amp and the stock head unit, it was ok. I sold the amp, gave away the j&ms, got a Sony head unit with Polk 6.5s in the stock location and in the inner fairing and it rocks loud and clear.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I had the J&Ms with an amp and the stock head unit, it was ok. I sold the amp, gave away the j&ms, got a Sony head unit with Polk 6.5s in the stock location and in the inner fairing and it rocks loud and clear.

I can attest to this.... Met David last week and heard him before I saw him.......

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I WERE going to add an amp at a later date, would most be in agreement that the J&M Rokkers XT would be a good choice? I've read good things about them. I want something that will sound at least better than stock without an amp since I will be going that route for a while, but have the ability to add something later on.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
I've heard both good and bad about the JM Rokkers, I've also heard them myself at the JM booth. My personal opinion is that they are a good speaker, but a bit on the high side for price. I don't think they are the absolute best sounding speaker, but much better than stock and a few others out there. I went with a different brand because I got a good deal and I think they sound a little better. If you go with an Arc amp (JM uses the same thing but charges a lot more) or RF, or even Hawgwired and a few others with the Rokkers, I'm sure you will be happy. If you have a chance to go to a rally or a local bike night and compare, it will give you more of a choice. Just about any system that sounds really good standing still will be able to be heard while riding, just make sure most of the sound is coming from the front, and don't expect to have a lot of bass.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard both good and bad about the JM Rokkers, I've also heard them myself at the JM booth. My personal opinion is that they are a good speaker, but a bit on the high side for price. I don't think they are the absolute best sounding speaker, but much better than stock and a few others out there. I went with a different brand because I got a good deal and I think they sound a little better. If you go with an Arc amp (JM uses the same thing but charges a lot more) or RF, or even Hawgwired and a few others with the Rokkers, I'm sure you will be happy. If you have a chance to go to a rally or a local bike night and compare, it will give you more of a choice. Just about any system that sounds really good standing still will be able to be heard while riding, just make sure most of the sound is coming from the front, and don't expect to have a lot of bass.
I keep seeing "Arc amps" pop up in a lot of conversations. I've tried to do a little research but can't seem to find where to buy for the best deal or which model to get. Can you expand a little on which one would be best (on a budget) to push the fairing speakers now and lowers later on? Also where to find them.
Thanks man!

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
I've seen the Arc 250 watt 2 channel amp for $300 and the 500 watt 4 channel for $400 on Amazon. Those are good prices, there's other amps also, I'm switching back to Hawgwired for several different reasons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts