Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we did a quick weekend trip to NC. Stayed in Asheville. Was able to hit the blue ridge and some area roads but rain cut down on the amount.

During the cold beverage session at the hotel a discussion about the best state to ride in occurred. You could only pick one and had to explain why. Several of these guys have a lot more miles than me and have covered most of the US.

Tenn. was a popular choice but Utah won out. Reasons they gave included scenery and the ability to change climate in short order. Since I have not been to Utah (yes I wish I could have made that SW but work did not allow) I have no opinion.

It has stuck in my mind so I wanted to hear what you guys think?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Utah gets my vote. Breath taking view along with a$$ puckering moments , some all at the same time . :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Spent a week touring Utah last August while the rest of the world was in Sturgis. I would say its my favorite if I can only have one, but there are a few close 2nds too. That said, whatever state I happen to be riding in at any given moment is pretty high on the list, other than Kansas which I live right next to and always try close my eyes and get thru as fast as possible.

·
Registered
374 Posts
North Carolina is the correct answer!

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I read this thread earlier today.
Man this really is a great question and supper tough.
I've traveled the States quite a bit the last few years.
It bums me out that I didn't see more of Utah.
But hey....it's not going anywhere so ill have to make plans.
If you held a gun to my head and made me pick just one State then I guess I would go with NC.
To me it just has so much to offer.
Not to mention that I can blaze there in a day.

I wonder how many weeks I would need off to see all 5 parks in Utah :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I gather from this response that you don't care much for curves. >:)

I realized a couple of things long ago, Touring bikes can't take curves and they don't go fast. When I left the GSX-Rs and Hayabusas alone a few years ago, a resigned myself to touring. Touring IS a snooze fest. If i was still interested in taking curves hard and fast, I would have kept a bike that could do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I realized a couple of things long ago, Touring bikes can't take curves and they don't go fast. When I left the GSX-Rs and Hayabusas alone a few years ago, a resigned myself to touring. Touring IS a snooze fest. If i was still interested in taking curves hard and fast, I would have kept a bike that could do it.

You can still enjoy the curves at a leisurely 10 mph over the speed limit on a touring bike without any stress. Still more fun than going straight.

If you don't think touring bikes can take curves fast, you need to look up yellow wolf.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You can still enjoy the curves at a leisurely 10 mph over the speed limit on a touring bike without any stress. Still more fun than going straight.

If you don't think touring bikes can take curves fast, you need to look up yellow wolf.

.....and you can still have your own opinion. I thought he was asking each individual person which state they preferred. Wasn't aware there was an actual "right" answer(yours).

If YOU think curves on a harley are more fun, hey more power to you, good job😉.

Again, I like Texas and Florida, if you like somewhere different, so what. Don't remember soliciting yours or the other guy's input for MY favorites.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I read this thread earlier today.
Man this really is a great question and supper tough.
I've traveled the States quite a bit the last few years.
It bums me out that I didn't see more of Utah.
But hey....it's not going anywhere so ill have to make plans.
If you held a gun to my head and made me pick just one State then I guess I would go with NC.
To me it just has so much to offer.
Not to mention that I can blaze there in a day.

I wonder how many weeks I would need off to see all 5 parks in Utah :)
You can do the Utah 5 in two days, three or four if you want to take some time. The only other time to budget is the trip to and from. But if you really want a great trip while out here take the time to hit the north and south rims of the Grand Canyon as well as highway 12 and 95.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm love Utah! This is God's country. That said, I've been through some incredible country all through the western US. California is amazing as is Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, N New Mexico, and I'm really looking forward to venturing into Canada this summer!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Been doing a guys bike trip for last five years and last year we officially started in St George, Utah. We hit the north rim then zig zagged through the parks of Utah. Was amazing and want to do same trip in reverse. Makes the top of my list for the states I have traveled through.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can do the Utah 5 in two days, three or four if you want to take some time. The only other time to budget is the trip to and from. But if you really want a great trip while out here take the time to hit the north and south rims of the Grand Canyon as well as highway 12 and 95.

Prolly 4 days for me to get there
Ug
Or I could fly bike to Calgary then head straight south
Maybe catch SW :grin:
Guess I better get planning.
3 weeks should do it.
I'll tell the boss tomorrow.
He will be thrilled.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can do curves on my Glide, as I'm sure most of us here have/can. Not like Gixxers or Busa's of course but here in my vote for MONTANA, we have straights, elevation and curves and I do all of them comfortably on my touring bikes.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
.....and you can still have your own opinion. I thought he was asking each individual person which state they preferred. Wasn't aware there was an actual "right" answer(yours).

If YOU think curves on a harley are more fun, hey more power to you, good job😉.

Again, I like Texas and Florida, if you like somewhere different, so what. Don't remember soliciting yours or the other guy's input for MY favorites.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers. I have ridden all over Florida and Texas. Just don't see how they rank highest on someone's list. I guess I would like an explanation. Maybe I am missing something.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts