Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some searching and trying to make a decision on audio upgrade. I had dealer install the Boom Stage 2 fairing amp and speakers before the bike left the shop... Not overly impressed at this point! So looking at 4 speaker systems (fairing and saddle bags) for my bike. Not interested in average run of the mill but something higher end that will impress me and give me the feeling that my money was well spent! Suggestions?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I tried the Boom! stuff --- #fail

Then I tried J&M audio stuff -- #fail

Finally went with a Rockford Fosgate 400/4 amp, Hertz 6.5 speakers in the front, and Rockford Fosgate 5"x7" speakers in the rear. Not competition sound, but less expensive than the Boom! stage 2 and WAY better volume and sound clarity.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried the Boom! stuff --- #fail

Then I tried J&M audio stuff -- #fail

Finally went with a Rockford Fosgate 400/4 amp, Hertz 6.5 speakers in the front, and Rockford Fosgate 5"x7" speakers in the rear. Not competition sound, but less expensive than the Boom! stage 2 and WAY better volume and sound clarity.
Just curious which J&M setup you had

·
JMJOHN
1,043 Posts
TL had our best ROKKER XX extreme system but was not able to successfully install the system, get his Harley radio flashed properly and get it moving down the highway ,,,,,,

so to cut the frustration on both sides, he returned the system and we gave him a refund ,,,,,,

I was quite disappointed as I know that if we could have gotten him on the road with it, he would have been very impressed with the sound & performance ,,,,,,

·
Registered
593 Posts
TL had our best ROKKER XX extreme system but was not able to successfully install the system, get his Harley radio flashed properly and get it moving down the highway ,,,,,,

so to cut the frustration on both sides, he returned the system and we gave him a refund ,,,,,,

I was quite disappointed as I know that if we could have gotten him on the road with it, he would have been very impressed with the sound & performance ,,,,,,
Just for clarification, and to set the story straight:

I had the top-of-the-line (for them) ROKKER XX Extreme system. The install WAS DONE CORRECTLY. Their amp kept going into some "protected mode" (according to John's tech Howard) and wouldn't play. I made a video of it on YouTube (See video here). The amp was replaced and the replacement amp did the same thing.

I sent pictures to Howard of the install, how the wires were connected, and spend countless amounts of time on the phone with them. John even asked that I pay the HD dealership TWO TIMES to flash the bike per the instructions just to be sure - which I did. The second time I went through the screens with the HD tech. I work on computers and software all day for a living, so I'm pretty sure between the tech and myself we are capable of making sure some stupid boxes are checked. John then had the nerve to blame the issues on the new bike and HD "junk batteries" - in his words.

I yanked out all of his garbage and went with a RF setup, same bike, same head unit, same battery, same flash. The RF stuff is working like a champ.

I wouldn't normally call out a vendor of this website, but how dare you insinuate that the problem was my install. The riders on this site deserve to know what kind of stuff you sell and your lack of customer service. I'll never deal with J&M again.

·
JMJOHN
1,043 Posts
TL ,,,,,,

I can assure you that your situation was not the norm ,,,, we sell hundreds of those exact systems every month and they are the very best audio solution for the new RoadGlides that I have heard anywhere ,,,,

I DO wish that your installation had turned out differently ,,,, but you must admit that you never even finished the J&M install far enough to actually ride the motorcycle down the highway for proper testing ,,,, I believe that you said you had a 1 or 3 amp battery tender connected to the bike for testing to keep the battery up ?

J&M also shipped multiple new components to you (at our expense) to try and decipher why you were having problems ,,,,

Our 38 year customer service record is well known and documented here on HD forums and across the entire industry ,,,,,, which is why I approved a full refund in your case, even though there were no problems found with the components you returned ,,,,

I do not like to have unhappy customers and can assure everyone here on the forums that all of us here at J&M go out of our way to try and make sure that the situation that occurred with TL's system, does not happen ,,,,,

·
Registered
593 Posts
TL ,,,,,,

I can assure you that your situation was not the norm ,,,, we sell hundreds of those exact systems every month and they are the very best audio solution for the new RoadGlides that I have heard anywhere ,,,,

I DO wish that your installation had turned out differently ,,,, but you must admit that you never even finished the J&M install far enough to actually ride the motorcycle down the highway for proper testing ,,,, I believe that you said you had a 1 or 3 amp battery tender connected to the bike for testing to keep the battery up ?

J&M also shipped multiple new components to you (at our expense) to try and decipher why you were having problems ,,,,

Our 38 year customer service record is well known and documented here on HD forums and across the entire industry ,,,,,, which is why I approved a full refund in your case, even though there were no problems found with the components you returned ,,,,

I do not like to have unhappy customers and can assure everyone here on the forums that all of us here at J&M go out of our way to try and make sure that the situation that occurred with TL's system, does not happen ,,,,,
John:

I don't want to turn this into some Internet argument, that would be a waste of time for both of us. I feel you didn't actually listen to what you were being told. The bike was fully assembled and ridden to the dealership to have the radio flash done. I did not even use the radio with the new setup prior to the flash. After the flash, while RIDING the bike back to work the issues with the amp started right away. The battery tender was only connected because you folks felt the battery was not supplying enough juice while the bike was parked and the radio was on. My biggest frustration wasn't in the time wasted trying to make the J&M stuff work, it was in how I felt I was treated when it DIDN'T work, the lack of respect, and lack of customer service.

I also own a business, and I know what client (customer) service should look like.

·
JMJOHN
1,043 Posts
TL ,,,,,

no need for an internet argument at all and I apologize if you felt that we were not listening to your concerns during the install ,,,,,

what I WOULD like to do, is meet up with you at either STURGIS in August or BIKETOBERFEST in October, to show you our own 2015 RoadGlide, how it performs, and if you like it better than what you have now, cut you a superb deal on the J&M system as we install it for you, check the Harley radio flash etc ,,,,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
At least you had a top of the line system.. I can't get the rear Rokker 5.25's to complete my system because no one knows when the speakers will be in, or the bluetooth/ipod controller. I have invested a pretty penny and no rear speakers.
HURK-5252GTM-XTC. I should sound real good at Sturgis this year with stock rears.... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Arc Audio Moto 600.4.......GREAT AMP!!!!!! :):):)

Got mine from Pete at Soundz Customz, I highly recommend him!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is a pic of it tucked under head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Thx D. I haven't taken the fairing off to see how thing are in there. I plan on just upgrading the stock speakers and adding a set in the lowers along with an amp. Did you have to make/buy a harness to connect the amp to the radio. Are RCA cables used? Thx.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.