Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I have always wanted to go to Key West. I am planning on a trip next year, spring time maybe. I am from the Seattle area, 30 years, and was transplanted here in Alabama. My question is when is the best time to ride the Keys? And are there any special places to see? We really like to see the history, old bars and such not to much a fan for tourist sites. My plan is to run hard to Fort Myers then take the back roads / along the water maybe, head East on Hy 90 / 41 and into Key West.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anytime is good for the Keys... business' are hurting so bad now they are dealing with prices. comming from Alabama isn't bad, I would plan the side roads the turnpike is boring, and after you get out of the Miami mess it is pretty good

·
Registered
659 Posts
First don't run hard on the interstates
Come down from 'bama and into Tallahassee

Google shows it takes some miles off the way you
were talking about going and misses Mi'hami and Fort Myers

Nice back roads, less traffic, less tourista's

I moved the route google route away from Ocala and lady lake
as the traffic on 441/27 through leesburg route is a PIA
lots of construction, and there are more blue hairs per
capita in Lady Lake (The Villages) driving Ford Crown Vics
than you want to take on with a bike LOL

You ca pick up 27 south nice 4 lane roads all the way down to Williston
changing routes a few times, total miles 619 and it's better than going
Interstate, you'll ride through horse country in central FL around Ocala
and past the surgar cane fields down south, if you want the coast you can still make that change before Tampa and head down to Ft Myers and then over to the Keys...

Google Map

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'm riding to KW in March after Bike Week in Daytona. We'll do Monday through Wednesday in Daytona during Bike Week and head south on Thursday. Still working on a place to stay in the Keys.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Cant miss downtown Key West. Duval St. has some cool bars including Magaritville. They have a sunset party every night which is fun. You can always take a catamaran sunset cruise with all the beer you can drink. :D Anytime of year is awsome but it can be cool there believe it or not in Jan and Feb. I was there back in the eighty's when there was a high of only 70 and the locals were walking around with winter coats and scarf's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Their busy season is from Christmas to Memorial Day. I went this year on Memorial day and stayed a week. It was a little crowded on the holiday but it cleared out the day after. Great time, as we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

Take the Tamiami Highway going down or coming out. It goes through the top of the everglades and you can stop and take a ride on a air boat and see plenty of gators!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Making a Plan

Great information, looking like the time frame will be around mid-March to mid-April 2012. I will collect all the input and try to put together a schedule so that everyone has an opportunity to hookup. Will get a list of hotels and KOA’s. I don’t mind KOA’s but very so offend need to shrub those cracks. I am a very free hearted individual and willing to change course if the situation presents it’s self. I do have a few buddies from the West coast who want to do the Key’s.

I am planning to go to Bikertoberfest, want to hookup with the crew based on Tim’s agenda, Oct 15th :). Want to meet everyone and see what trick mod’s are out there and try not to repeat any errors that I have done over the years.

It was dam cool this morning, 40 degrees! Ran like hell, got-a-love it.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yeah I wanna do the Keys too. You can rent a jet ski and ride all the way around Key West, takes about 2 hours. Sounds pretty cool!

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is no bad time to be in the Keys - it's all good!

And yes, the waverunner tour is a lot of fun. My wife and I do it every time we are there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Downtown Key West for sure, they also have some sort of function in October. My opininion is October is always a great weather riding month in Florida.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
rode there back in march of 2008 from CT. apparently it was the last week of spring break but unfortunately the weather was very cold and windy that there wasnt very many bikini clad college parties:( we ordered a couple beers at the hogs breath saloon and the wind literaly took them off the table. of course we had to check the temp and wind conditions at all the other bars:D the duval crawl. good times were still had

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trip to Key West

I am planning on doing the keys this year, along with some friends from the west coast. From all the info that I have, I figured this would be the best time to go due to spring break in April and vacationers in May. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

DATE CITY MILES
21-Apr Sat
22-Apr Sun Work
23-Apr Mon Work
24-Apr Tues Work
25-Apr Wed Work
26-Apr Thurs Valdosta GA 467
27-Apr Off Fri Bonita Springs FL 379
28-Apr Sat Key Largo FL 170
29-Apr Sun Key Largo FL 0
30-Apr Mon Key West FL 102
1-May Tues Key West FL 0 Fort Jefferson
2-May Wed Key West FL 0
3-May Thurs Port ST. Lucie FL 270
4-May Fri Jacksonville FL 234
5-May Sat Macon GA 270
6-May Sun Madison AL 281
Total 2173

·
Registered
816 Posts
Still working on a place to stay in the Keys.
I've stayed at Pelican Cove www.pcove.com a couple times in Islamorada, nice place right on the water. Tiki bar and pool hot tub. No onsite restaurant, but plenty nearby.
Last time we went down, didnt have a reservation, literally no rooms from
top to bottom of the Keys on Feb 15. Thought we were going to have to go back up to Homestead, but P/Cove hooked me up with a guy that can do 1-2 day condo rentals.
Stayed at Ocean Reef for two days in a private condo for less than a hotel.
NICE place with a gate guard.

I went down Krome Ave from Alligator Alley and off 41 the last 3 times I drove down. Picks up Rt 1 just south of Homestead. Right out in the country,
light traffic.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'm going to the Keys on the 15th during Daytona Bike week. I doubt I'll stay on Key West, but we might drop in to some other island if there's room. Open to suggestions. Worst case, I'll ride back up to the mainland and cash in some Hilton points in Miami. Heading to the Dragon from there before riding back to Dallas.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Staying at the Pegasus International right on Duval Street worked out great for us, and very reasonable for Key West. Duval St. is where the party is every night and you can walk to everything. Many hotels are at the other end of the island and you don't want to ride your bike to Duval Street when there are so many great bars and drinks.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I am planning on doing the keys this year, along with some friends from the west coast. From all the info that I have, I figured this would be the best time to go due to spring break in April and vacationers in May. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

DATE CITY MILES
21-Apr Sat
22-Apr Sun Work
23-Apr Mon Work
24-Apr Tues Work
25-Apr Wed Work
26-Apr Thurs Valdosta GA 467
27-Apr Off Fri Bonita Springs FL 379
28-Apr Sat Key Largo FL 170
29-Apr Sun Key Largo FL 0
30-Apr Mon Key West FL 102
1-May Tues Key West FL 0 Fort Jefferson
2-May Wed Key West FL 0
3-May Thurs Port ST. Lucie FL 270
4-May Fri Jacksonville FL 234
5-May Sat Macon GA 270
6-May Sun Madison AL 281
Total 2173
Going to miss your dates by almost a full month. We booked for 4/3 to 4/11. They'll probably have the beer coolers restocked by then.:D

RT

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my rooms

Going to miss your dates by almost a full month. We booked for 4/3 to 4/11. They'll probably have the beer coolers restocked by then.:D

RT
We are staying a Duvall street at the Blue Marlin on 4/29 to 5/1. Can’t believe that town is almost booked up, got the last room with a king. Getting very excited to go, going to do Bike week for a primer.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
youll have a great time there. make sure you take your wife to see the very popular and incredible sunset

1 - 20 of 22 Posts