1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I come to you in need of your wisdom?

Sorry for the over dramatic.

I want to know what is the best option/use of money?

I am thinking 3 routes:

1) 107 w/ 777 cams and port-polished heads already have dynojet PV, keeping the dual exhausts and k&n air filter

2) 120R but have to save more $$$

3) an idea from you guys that is better than both.

I have a 2012 fltrx 103 stock, with 4k miles on her.

I want a reliable touring bike that gets 38mpg but has the ability to haul ass when I need it to. I want to get as Close as possible, I am also consideringn
Heat, but I have the jims force flow now and it never comes on, (bc it was installed in the coldest part of the year).

I live in texas, in Houston.

I am torn, people say go 120r and forget the rest as it is suitable for everything, others say 107 gets close numbers and is cheaper. I would like to know from others who have done either, what they did, and would have done different.

THANKS BROS!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go the 120R route on a bike with 4K on the clock. That's a lot of money to put out on a virtually brand new bike. It really depends on how deep your pockets are and how much gitty up you really want. You can see my build in my signature, and I can tell ya I am really happy with it. I started with a 96 though, and when push came to shove on 103 vs 107, I went with the latter.
You know where you want to go better than us, but I would be REALLY tempted to just work on waking up the 103 and see how that works for ya.

Rowdy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pretty hard to beat a BALANCED package such as offered by Fuel Moto.
107 with the Level B head, and the Woods 555 cams. Install an oil cooler and
get it tuned.
You'll be happy........for a while.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that the 2012 has an oil cooler, are you saying upgrade, or am I wrong.

Des anyone have a comparison or know it off the top of their head on the 120 v 107. I have heard 120/120 to 138/138 for the 120r. The 107 has envy thing between 105/110 and 115/128....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Btw I also own and ride an 07 Vrod with the Trask turbo, and I love it! Tat should give a better idea...

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Problem with the 120 is that you have to redo your clutch along with the engine, so unless you got 6-7,000 to spend . I would go with the 107. My builder here can get his 107 close to the 120 numbers for a lot less $$$$. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, I am trying to squeeze the most out of it. Right now it just feels like it doesn't have enough of that kick I want, which I am assuming is torque, but I don't want to kill my Meg's like I did on my Vrod. Currently it's at 20mpg on average with a 5 gallon tank.

I want touring, but that can run with say a vtx or something with a little more to it, but I can still enjoy those 600-800 mile days....

I'm asking a lot!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far 107 sounds the way to go, but guys that do the 107 say they would have gone 120 had they done it all over, and I get that from DBell..., but a few others said the same on HDF as well.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Call Frank @ Dragos Bike works, Fuel Moto, or Hillside. They could get you in the right direction. Phone calls are free as Frank has stated many times. I have a 2013 FLTRX Roadglide with 300 miles on it. I will be installing Woods TW-555 or TW-777 in it this spring. Heads will be next. Then Im done. Good luck on your quest for power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have talked with them. They are all good guys. I am almost ready to pull the trigger, and I'm trying to maximize my fun and my $$$!!!! I also want to avoid buyers remorse.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
So far 107 sounds the way to go, but guys that do the 107 say they would have gone 120 had they done it all over, and I get that from DBell..., but a few others said the same on HDF as well.
Who, me? Lol, if I had known I was ging to spend the money that I did, I would've definetly gone bigger, or supercharge. I had the timken conversion, etc. If I didn't want to do crank or heads and I had a 103, a nice cam would do also. It's probably a good thing that I didn't go bigger, the 107 I have has more speed than I need, I'm having a hard enough time staying out of trouble as it is. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw your post on HDF. I read it last night you were saying that you would have gone 120r. I am after a hp/tq of 115+/125+, mpg going 60-70 mph of 38+, reliability, and longevity... My question is this realistic and how, and will I have enough cash to do it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw DBell ur bike is sikkkk!

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Long story short, I went through a few pains with my build for different reasons, Frank at Dragos helped me out a lot, especially considering he wasn't doing it. give Frank a call, explain to him what you are looking for, he will take time and give you several options even if you don't use him, he's that kind of guy. The numbers you are looking for can be had with a lot of reliability, thanks for the compliment on the bike. :D

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's your money but the 103 is a nice touring motor with a cam,breather,headers mufflers and a tuner I am getting 90 hsp 106 trq 42 to 47 mpg ride two up and loaded I keep up with every one I ride with only thing I might of added would be a higher flowing set of heads but no regrets two speeding tickets this year.cant afford to many of those bike runs good in traffic great trq at 60 mph good luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
It sounds like you have about the same question that I asked in the Gary's Corner question. I am a tree hugger so I wanted to stay legal in all 50 states but I wanted a big boost in torque where I usually ride, which means 2000 to 3000 RPM. I also specified retaining my present mileage which runs a bit over 40 MPG on a relatively stock 103 engine. I did not ask for extreme torque or high end horsepower, so if that is what you want the answer Gary gave is probably wrong for you.

P

·
0 Posts
best bang for your bucks,build yours to 124"`s.in a VERY mild,very dependable,"ride anyware" build you`ll get 130/135,up to 150+ on more aggressive builds (last one we did was 151/154)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts