Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tire for a tour bike?
I have a ‘92 Ultra and am replacing the drive belt so thinking about tires as well!!?
Ready....Go!!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Tires are like handlebars, windshields, exhaust and so on. I have always used Dunlop tires and have had very good experience with them. I do buy my tires from an Indy, but still dunlop tires just a different tire pattern than what HD sells.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
If you change your own tires Shinko winds hands down as the best touring tire FOR THE PRICE as your title states.

If you don't ride at least 5000 miles a year don't bother spending the money for the long life tires like the Michelin Commander or Dunlop Elite.

If you have to pay for someone to install then get the longest wear tire you will use up in 4 or 5 years and that will work out to be the best touring tire for the price.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I prefer the Dunlop American Elite with HD branded Dunlop coming in 2nd. Tried the Commander II once and found the Dunlop gave me a better ride with about the same mileage so I went back to Dunlops and haven't looked back since. For me comfort traction and longevity are what I look for in a tire - I just shake my head at less than 15k miles on a tire but then my riding style isn't that aggressive.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
i got great life out of the stock tires, even better from the american elites. just changed out my 2nd set of tires, with 44,000 miles on the bike. thats 20k on the stockers, 24k on the american elites.

just put on a set of the new avon cobra chrome. had about 500 miles on them before i totaled the bike. from what i could tell, i really liked them. obviously, not enough evidence to comment on life, but man, they sure gripped good and rode smooth.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
problem is with the 92 , that's a 130 tire on the rear , dont know the options available now , but back in the 80's and 90's the choices were pretty limited .. My 84 TG had the godawful Dunlop D291 front and rear .. The 88 TG had the D491 , mileage on those tires sucked , you would be lucky to get 12000 out of the rear , and around 6-7000 you would have a Kansas sized flat spot in the center .. I think the D402 fit those bikes years down the road , was much better , but mileage still sucked ...

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I just put a set of kenda cataclysm's on my 03 serk. They are load rated and dual compound. Not many miles yet. But feel good so far. I also went with a 140 on the rear. Using a Vulcan works pulley spacer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have Dunlop on my RG and Mich Com II on my SG. i don't have a bad thing to say about either one. Neither have let me down... other than getting that sheet metal screw in my RG front last year, but i choose not to blame Dunlop on that one.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Code:
problem is with the 92 , that's a 130 tire on the rear , dont know the options available now , but back in the 80's and 90's the choices were pretty limited .. My 84 TG had the godawful Dunlop D291 front and rear .. The 88 TG had the D491 , mileage on those tires sucked , you would be lucky to get 12000 out of the rear , and around 6-7000 you would have a Kansas sized flat spot in the center .. I think the D402 fit those bikes years down the road , was much better , but mileage still sucked ...
Look at the Dunlop Elites or the E4's I get 20K out of the Elites on my bagger. And putting a set of the E3's (now E4) on my FXR made a world of difference over the D40x that it came with.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just put a set of kenda cataclysm's on my 03 serk. They are load rated and dual compound. Not many miles yet. But feel good so far. I also went with a 140 on the rear. Using a Vulcan works pulley spacer.

Any chance of getting a link to that spacer? My brother wants to try a set of Kenda's on his 85.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
What mileage are you getting out of the Shinko's and how do you like the ride? Do you feel much difference vs the Dunlops or Mich Com II's?
I haven't had any Harley long enough to need to change tires. :eek: Considering I bought the RGU and RK the same year I ended up getting back surgery and infection 15,000 on the RGU and 5000 on the RK was pretty good. :smile:

I no longer am able to change my own tires due to physical limitations. :(

I put 60,000 miles on my Vulcan Voyager which has similar weight and handling characteristics as the Road Glide and I got 16,000 miles out of Dunlop Elites and 20,000 miles out of Mich Com IIs. I ran Bridgestone Excedra Max exclusively on the front after getting cupping from a Dunlop Elite.

When I did change my own tires and ran Shinkos 009 Ravens on my other japanese heavy cruisers and sport touring bikes I got about 8000 miles out of the rear. The 009 is considered a sport touring tire so it is definitely a better rain tire.

The Shinko Tour Master 230 might come in the sizes the '92 Ultra.

The Shinko 777 Tire Combo (both front and rear tire) can be bought for under $140.

Considering my dealer quoted me almost $1000 to change both the front and rear tires on my Ultra before I traded it in...

If I had a '92 I would definitely consider either of the shinko tires above.

·
Registered
123 Posts
HD dunlops are great for mileage but shit for traction on the wet stuff.
I'm using the HD Dunlops here in Seattle, ride in the rain frequently (120 miles today in cold rain) and have never had traction issues in wet conditions. Only traction issue was a few icy spots in January, pretty scary but managed to come through them upright. Only studded tires would have made a difference in those spots.
I had 10150 miles on my rear tire when I picked up a nail and got it replaced, it would have been good for at least 5K more miles with ease.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts