Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m happy with my current wash/ wax products (Meguiers) but was curious if there’s more I can do, or something that’s working better for the legion of RG riders in this forum. I welcome any and all ideas and methods. The desired outcome is optimal protection and a shine so bright that you’re not sure where the black stops and the chrome begins. I gotta believe that’s possible. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
So, I’m happy with my current wash/ wax products (Meguiers) but was curious if there’s more I can do, or something that’s working better for the legion of RG riders in this forum. I welcome any and all ideas and methods. The desired outcome is optimal protection and a shine so bright that you’re not sure where the black stops and the chrome begins. I gotta believe that’s possible. Thanks in advance!
Generally questions like this yield a list of everything that exists. I will say that to achieve this, you're not going to buy a product and slog it on, its a multi-step process that the professional detailers among us can articulate.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Depends on your ideal outcome and time you plan to put in. I use Mcguiers and BugSlide. About once every 6 weeks, I'll wet wash it with a Turtle wax , wax soap. Either way dry detail or wet wash including drying , I won't spend more then an hour on the bike's cleanliness.
Some guys spend that much time on the headlights. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
S100 for wash, follow instructions meaning wash it cold, we have hard water I use a shop blower to get the heavy water off then micro soft towels to finish then in my goody bag
I use bugslide love it
Mothers, anything it all works
Semichrome for just that this product has got to be 50 years old the crud it pull of chrome a small tube will last 2 seasons easy

·
Registered
98 Posts
For the most part I just original bike spirits every few days. I ride daily so a lot of that depends on the weather.
I had paint protection put on when it was bought and I sealed it when I brought it home.
So far so good but it’s still new.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Oh, Oh, now you dun it! This is another "3rd rail" of motorcycle forums, which also includes oil and helmet posts. You will get a lot of good advice about wash/wax products from this post. Partly because there are so many good choices and options these days. Enjoy the responses!

·
Administrator
10,388 Posts
ha Train beat me to the Collinite , they have several products that are excellent and spendy .. There is someone here who is a detailer , but can't think right off who it is ..

That said clean bike is over rated ...

JtB

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am SUPER happy with everything from Killerwaxx. I have not tried anything from them that I haven't fell in love with. Their Blue Dream paste wax is amazing on darker colored finishes, and the metal polish makes your chrome sparkle.

Reactions: flhman and Bevis

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I am SUPER happy with everything from Killerwaxx. I have not tried anything from them that I haven't fell in love with. Their Blue Dream paste wax is amazing on darker colored finishes, and the metal polish makes your chrome sparkle.
I use the Killerwaxx products too.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The "Shine" gloss you want comes from machine polishing paint to as close to perfect as possible. A LSP can add some to the finished look. However, I have seen some LSPs almost mute the gloss, or mute the flake if there is any.

Over the years Ive used a lot of different LSPs on vehicles I have done. Nothing I have used comes close to Polish Angel Cosmic V2 + High Gloss. Its a insane combo that I can't see anything else adding as much. Cosmic is a coating so you get a whole different level of protection compared to a wax or sealant.

Wash, clay, Iron X, and polishing are the most important part of the process, applying the LSP is the icing on the cake.
If your not machine polishing first then your not doing anything to get the look your after. Lip stick on a pig is still a pig deal

·
Registered
58 Posts
Truly depends on your end goal - do you want a show finish - because that entails a bit of a different process then just a coat of wax and off you go.
I have detailed my own bikes/cars/boats for over 4 decades. I have had show cars, show bikes and each were 1st place award winners. They got a very different detail than my daily runners do.
My daily runners still have a great finish and look fantastic - but they are not ready for show.
Beyond the product you are putting on - the application also has A LOT to do with the outcome.
So let me know what your goals are and I will happily steer you in the best direction possible.
I have used Meguiars, Hi-Tech, Pig Snot, and I am Malco Certified in standard wax, polish, compound and ceramic (this is for the Professional Application).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts