Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my stock mirrors flipped and mounted under my 14 inch apes, but for the sake of this post will pretend they're mounted on top, like normal.

Any recommendations on how to extend the mirrors out, but not up (or down, in my case)? Kuryakyn 1444 extenders seem to do both, but I may be wrong(?).
If suggesting new mirrors, keep in mind that I do like them to be functional, ie: convex and a decent size.

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know what you mean... if mine could just move OUTWARD an inch, they'd be all that much more functional. subscribed to find out what you find. Hard to find mirror extenders that don't move them out AND up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hard to find an extender that only goes out. Look at the Grady Extenders. The convex mirrors I found that works great for moving the mirror out is the RWD (Russ Wernimont Design) mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Moving mirrors

The summer of 2011 I toured out of Pittsburgh on my FLTRX. I grew tired of constantly moving my shoulders to be able to see. By the time I reached Seattle I grew seriously tired of the game. I stopped at a HD shop and bought a set of extended mirrors. PROBLEM SOLVED.

The stock mirrors were sold on EBAY and the difference was well worth being able to use my mirrors effectively.

BUY them, sell the stock... BE HAPPY and SAFE

Good Luck
HUTMO

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The summer of 2011 I toured out of Pittsburgh on my FLTRX. I grew tired of constantly moving my shoulders to be able to see. By the time I reached Seattle I grew seriously tired of the game. I stopped at a HD shop and bought a set of extended mirrors. PROBLEM SOLVED.

The stock mirrors were sold on EBAY and the difference was well worth being able to use my mirrors effectively.

BUY them, sell the stock... BE HAPPY and SAFE

Good Luck
HUTMO
Thanks for the tip.
Curious: Did the extended stem mirrors go higher, or just out? Thanks for any input. Any chance you have a pic of yours??

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
No pics. I since changed to a Harley custom type mirror. The main thing was that the mirrors were moved out providing a beyond the shoulder view. They may have been taller but I cannot recall. I do know that I was able to see much better.

Gypsy Tour '14. - PA Route 6 and so much more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sportster mirrors

If you like the look of the stock mirrors buy yourself a set of sportster mirrors
They are a little wider due to the narrow bars on a sportster
I have had them on all my bikes for the last 20 years
no taller just wider

Bob the GADS guy

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
Curious: Did the extended stem mirrors go higher, or just out? Thanks for any input. Any chance you have a pic of yours??
The long stem mirrors go out not up. I replaced my stock mirrors with them and they are much better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I recommend the Kuryakyn mirror extenders, they put them 'out' about 1-2"s. The Harley extenders didn't work for me, just put mirrors up higher and still couldn't get by my shoulders. Kuryakyn's extenders work well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
+1 on the Kury extenders. I actually wanted up and out like they say there are. If they are up any it is not much, the tops of fingers still hit them. But they moved out close to 2" and are perfect. Love seeing behind me now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the suggestions. Just to wrap this thread up: I was at the shop and bought some stock long stem mirrors, which did the trick. They brought the mirrors up AND out (or down and out in this under mounted case), but look fine, and work well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I purchased the Kuryakn mirror extenders for HD mirrors to put on my RG Ultra. I know I should post some photos but you don't me and computers. Any way after a 2,000 mile road trip with the Mrs. we/I saw nothing but lane behind me, barely any arm and no shoulder.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Long stem mirrors

The long stem mirrors go out not up. I replaced my stock mirrors with them and they are much better.

:D 2 thumbs up! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts