Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to lower my Road Glide an inch or two. Whats the best way to do it?
I'm a a short guy (29" inch inseam) and I prefer to flat foot the bike. I was thinking Lowering the rear shocks. I'm a cruiser type of rider not too much into the twisty's.

And help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
826 Posts
Easiest for the rear is Progressive 940 shocks. You get an inch lower and a better shock without having to deal with air pressure.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Easiest for the rear is Progressive 940 shocks. You get an inch lower and a better shock without having to deal with air pressure.
the 940s will give you the 13'' ride, with a 12'' ride height. but if you have that short of an inseam, you still won't be able to flatfoot. i had a set of stock shocks cut down at bitchin baggers to 11-1/4'', and while a lot better, i can't really flatfoot, (5'4'', with a 29'' inseam). i am also using the danny grey speed cradle which sits me down quite a bit from stock.

however, if you're willing to chance it, (i've heard)you can get an awesome ride from the 940s.

good luck

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd be remiss if I didn't offer this input. Your mileage may vary.

I had a White Bros. 1" or 1 1/2" rear lowering kit on my Glide for a while, but ended up removing it because when me and the wife would ride together (and sometimes when I was by myself,) I would hear something scrubbing under the rear fender. I never figured out what it was. I removed the lowering kit and the scrubbing subsided.

Fast forward to the last couple weeks. I noticed my right turn signal/running light was out. I swapped bulbs between the left and right lights and both were good. I removed the Kuryakyn running light module and connected it stock, but the right light was still out. Since I thought I was going to need a new socket, I just went ahead to the dealership Saturday and let them look at it. What ended up being the problem was two of the clips that hold the rear light harness to the inside of the fender were damaged or missing. The harness sagged and the tire rubbed through the loom, cutting the wire to the right light. The tech had to drop the rear wheel to get to everything. He repaired the broken wire, taped up one wire where it was starting to cut through the casing, and repaired the loom, replacing both plastic clips while he was at it. I'm good to go now, but $127 lighter (and that was a hook up, as I have "people" at the dealership who know and look after me.)

Just remember if you hear a scrubbing sound, look into it right away. Don't screw around like I did.

W

·
0 Posts
Mustang makes a LowDown Touring Seat which is 1 1/2" lower than stock and the nose of the seat is 1 1/2" narrower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lowering Road Glide

If I get a set of 12" 940's would that lower me 2" inches?

Thanks for the input!!

Tom

·
Registered
828 Posts
put the custom suspension on it. you can prob find take offs online. or get the 940s in the 10' length My buddy has em on his SG and loves em. He rides two up all the time and the wife says they are great too. We all know that is ultimatly the deciding factor as to whether a part is good or not...lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
i hope that is photo shopped, her damn head is as big as the tank and her a$$, well ......thats a junk yard in the trunk

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had the same problem (not the fat ass). I lowered the rear with Phoenix Customs by Bitchen Baggers. They modify the shocks according to your specs and the bike won't bottom out on your harness. I then lowered the forks with Progressive drop-ins. Oh and of course the seat was customized first. I also think the bike rides and corners better then stock.

·
878 Posts
You could install this on it, but it might bottom out (pun intended). :eek:

You could loose a Sportster in there...girl's bike...right...really?

Now THAT'S a contaminated seat...jes sayin.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If I get a set of 12" 940's would that lower me 2" inches?
I don't think so. It looks like 940s come in one size - 12". They have the height of a 12" shock (on FLTRX) and the travel of a 13" shock (on FLTRU). So the 940's will lower the rear of your bike 1".

The purpose of the Progressive 940's is to maintain the lower height of the Road Glide Custom, Street Glide, and Road King Custom while providing the travel (and comfort) of a standard-length shock.

There are several things you can do to get yourself 2" closer to the gound. Just remember that lowering the suspension reduces ground clearance, which means you'll scrape sooner in agressive turns. A lowered suspension may bottom out more often and feel harsher than a standard suspension.

Consider also installing the front drop-in lowering kit. The Progressive unit gives you the option of lowering 1" or 2".

Change the seat to a model that will lower you 1-2".

Add an inch to the soles of your boots. (Boots have to have sewn-on soles, not molded-on soles.)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Lower the seat first
+200... Start with the seat first... talk to the guys at Mean City Cycles for that. I would not touch the suspension until you fix the seat both for comfort and for reach. Then look at suspension work if needed...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shocks

I have a set of harley lower air shocks for sale $200.00 with a new harley air pump, they r off my 2009 SE roadglide 10,000 miles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts