Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I pulled my heads to install compression releases and need to clean the head gasket surfaces. What's the best way to get them clean without getting junk down in the cylinders.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I get spray gasket remover spray it into any metal container then use a small brush to apply to cly,first i stuff the clys full of paper towels to keep any residue from getting in clys,then using a small putty kinfe lightly scrape off gasket matrial,this method hasnt failed me yet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than that is there a method that works better than the others? Some type of scrapper or solvent. I'm thinking maybe a plastic scrapper that won't damage the mating surface of the cylinders and heads.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Roll the engine over until the piston is at the top of the jug. I used a brass brush then a medium honing stone. You only have to worry about the area the head gasket covers.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Other than that is there a method that works better than the others? Some type of scrapper or solvent. I'm thinking maybe a plastic scrapper that won't damage the mating surface of the cylinders and heads.
you've got the right idea.gasket remover isn't a good idea because it`ll eat thru the powder coat quicker than the gasket & ide think a wire brush would make more of a mess than the scraper.just use the small plastic scraper (spray alittle WD-40 on the cylinder wall,then bring the piston to TDC),after you get the gasket residue off,slowly bring the piston down about 1.5",any gasket material that dose get in the bore will stick to the WD-40,just wipe the bore with a clean engine wipe and you`ll be OK

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thats why you use a small brush such as a acid brush.Leave it set for about 15 min takes very little effort to remove.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
patience, a plastic scraper and some carb cleaner carefully applied. carb cleaner has same ingredient as paint stripper so you've got to be careful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi I pulled my heads to install compression releases and need to clean the head gasket surfaces. What's the best way to get them clean without getting junk down in the cylinders.
Thanks.
I just went down this road myself....I found the best way is to have them machined perfectly flat and smooth at a machine shop used to harley heads. The have a tendency to warp just a tiny bit due to the fact they are aluminum so a very light mill, just a surface mill really, makes sure they are flat and will seal correctly and are squeaky clean. Money well spent IMHO since they are off and all.....

·
Banned
88 Posts
I just went down this road myself....I found the best way is to have them machined perfectly flat and smooth at a machine shop used to harley heads. The have a tendency to warp just a tiny bit due to the fact they are aluminum so a very light mill, just a surface mill really, makes sure they are flat and will seal correctly and are squeaky clean. Money well spent IMHO since they are off and all.....
a little over kill,milling them for compression is fine,but no need to do this(to the head or cylinder).it isn't nessary for good gasket seal.just get them clean with you plastic scraper and put it together,you`ll be fine.like I said in the earlier post,after your done,lower the piston & wipe out anything that did get in the bore (don't blow it out with air though,you`ll just drive any crap deeper into the rings)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I have the heads and cylinders gasket surfaces clean. I used gasket remover and plastic scraper. What about the carbon ring in the cylinders?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it necessary to remove the carbon ring from the cylinders? How do the pro shops do it? I can't imagine they spend this much time cleaning the cylider bores after pulling the heads for a simple valve job.
Thanks.

·
Banned
88 Posts
OK I have the heads and cylinders gasket surfaces clean. I used gasket remover and plastic scraper. What about the carbon ring in the cylinders?
unless the carbon is excessive,theres no reason to screw with it.if it is excessive,you most likely want to pull the cylinder & check cylinder/ring condition

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
unless the carbon is excessive,theres no reason to screw with it.if it is excessive,you most likely want to pull the cylinder & check cylinder/ring condition
OK thanks for all the input heads are going back on tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts