Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came within a couple hours yesterday of losing $15k on an EBAY scam that was selling a 2016 RG Ultra CVO. I originally saw the ad 5-6 days ago and sent the seller a couple of questions. The scam story line here is that the seller is a Major in the military who lives in Wisconsin, is currently stationed in Alaska going through some training because he is deploying to Afghanistan for the second time at the end of June. The seller sent me additional pics of the bike and also a video taken in his garage. I've purchased literally hundreds of things over EBAY since it's inception and am always looking for signs that something is a scam and have never been burned once. Let me stress here that every aspect of this scam was well rehearsed and very authentic looking. He had all the right answers to every question I threw at him.

The scam works like this: The seller gives you his whole story and then reassures you that everything is on the up and up by telling you that he's already made the arrangements to use EBAY's "Vehicle Purchase Protection" program in order to take away and risk for either the buyer or seller. Once we had struck a deal on price, I had to give him my name/phone/shipping address which he (supposedly) forwarded to EBAY as the buyer of the bike. I then received an email that had all the earmarks of being from EBAY (proper logos, forms, and wording). That form instructed me to wire transfer money into a supposed EBAY account. They then hold the money in an escrow account and notify the seller to go ahead and ship the bike. Once the bike arrived, I would look it all over and if everything was what the seller promised, I'd notify EBAY and then they would release the funds to the seller and forward me the title. Sounds good right? Everyone is protected. Not so fast!

Let me stress again that every aspect of the story sounded legit and every aspect looked genuine. Part of the reason for that is that they start by stealing a real ad off of EBAY. It all looks real because it was a real ad at some past point. This is how they get the pictures, the seller's EBAY name, the video, etc. It's all real - or at least it once was a real ad. What is not real is the money wire transfer address. It was to be sent to TD Bank in Ocala, FL. For the first time in days, they gave me a reason to be suspicious again. I had taken the money out of a retirement account and was within an hour or so of taking it to my regular bank and have them do the wire transfer. It was at this time that I thought of the old axiom that "if the deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is", and called EBAY. It must have taken 40 minutes to wade through the layers of menu options to finally get transferred to someone in that "Vehicle Purchase Protection" program that knew what they were doing. That's when I found out that the transaction number I received was not in their system. I about shit my pants when it hit me that I had come so close to losing $15k in this scam. I also noted the warning below that is on EBAY's site under the Vehicle Purchase Protection" plan, which, if I had seen at any time during this past week, would have caused me to report the incident to EBAY and stay clear of this 'purchase'.

Forewarned is forearmed guys! There's always some lazy, low down, no account SOB that is looking for a way to steal some of your hard earned money rather than getting a job and earning the money.

From EBAY:

Alert: Internet Vehicle Scams on Craigslist and Other Non-eBay Sites

eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection covers only certain vehicle transactions that are completed ON eBay.com. If a Craigslist or non-eBay seller 'promises' you the eBay protection plan, this is fraud and you should walk away. Learn more.
Common warning signs:

Vehicles advertised well below what it is worth may be tempting, but should be a red flag. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is.
You are unable to see the vehicle in person first or have it physically inspected prior to payment
There is an urgency to complete the sale quickly because the seller has a health or family issue, is being deployed to the military, moving out of state/country or is going through a divorce/marriage
Seller pushes to get money in advance and transferred through a fast payment method, or sent to a fake escrow account to avoid you as the buyer losing out on the deal before another buyer purchases the item first

Criminals want to lure you into feeling safe and may also disguise their websites or emails to look like they are from eBay, when they are not

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Phew, glad you didn't fall for it.

Enough people on here scattered around the country. I'm sure we're all more than happy to go see it in person for someone else, at least to see if it does indeed exist.

Good thing you listened to your instinct.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I came within a couple hours yesterday of losing $15k on an EBAY scam that was selling a 2016 RG Ultra CVO.

Criminals want to lure you into feeling safe and may also disguise their websites or emails to look like they are from eBay, when they are not
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Yup, if it sounds /looks too good to be true, it usually is. Good pi work .

·
Banned
72 Posts
Glad you got it all figured out and didn't get screwed. I buy lot of stuff on eBay as well, but there's no way in the world I would ever buy a bike car or anything like that off of there. And then the dirt bag tries to act all military what a jerk.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Glad you didn't let your emotions over a deal cloud your judgement. It is always good to have a second person you trust look over the transaction or go with you to look at the bike because they will see faults or discrepancies in the seller's story that you won't because you want the item.

When I have bought bikes off ebay I have always used ebay and paypal. I also only put a deposit and then went to inspect and get the bike in person. If someone wants me to do the purchase on the side and not through ebay I walk.

I have been able to buy northern bikes in the fall at trade in value and sell them in the spring here in the south for a profit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Been going on for years! My buddy & I were bidding on the same bike. My buddy won/bought the bike. Next day I get a email on the same bike for a "second chance" buy it. The turds ding this were over seas, so E Bay wouldn't go after them.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Fuzz, I can get you the same bike with less miles and more HP......just send half the $15K to me and I'll take care of the rest.......you're welcome

Glad you are still whole Unc......hats off to the Spidie senses

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I wish I had kept the Ebay truck add that was forwarded to me back in 2006. It was a 2004 Lightning with a 700rwhp pump gas motor. It was fully streetable, looked brand new, etc...etc...etc everything I wanted!

Only problem the truck was sitting in my garage and I have the title and was not selling it.
Pictures were taken off the internet and the add looked legit. I contacted Ebay and notified them it was a scam and I was the owner. Add was pulled, but I never found out what happened to the seller

Buyer Beware.... UF, GLAD you didn't fall for it and lose your hard earned $$

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Kev glad you didn't get scammed Now go out and buy a "sofa Seat" for Sandy LOL

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Glad you didn't fall for it Fuzzy. My sister's boss has lost a ton of money on eBay vehicle purchases and he's pretty savvy, too. Takes the fun out of buying online. If any here have elderly parents, make sure they aren't falling for the phone scams, like my in-laws did. I hope that there is a special place in hell for scammers.

·
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Hell, I didn't sleep much last night just thinking about losing $15k. I've been back through copies of all the correspondence, and yes, now that I know it's a scam, I see a coupe of yellow flags, but nothing that would have warned me it was a scam - except my own common sense in the end. Phew! The odd part is that I wasn't buying the bike to upgrade from my 2011 103, I was doing the RIGHT thing (at this moment in time for me) and was buying it to flip and hopefully make $6-7k so I could get my '65 Impala interior done, and get a couple things around the house updated. I'm having a shit year in terms of unplanned expenditures and this looked like a way to make up for some of that. Wrong.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Fuzz, send me 5k and I’ll deliver to you a grey CVO with Illinois plates on it and vin numbers ground off. You can give me the other 10k on delivery or I’ll go get you a blue CVO if you can talk Bob into staying in one place long enough for me to track him down.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Those scammers are getting real good no matter how many safeguards are in place to protect you. If there is a way they will figure it out. Good on you for not letting it play out and actually figuring the scam out!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fuzz, send me 5k and I’ll deliver to you a grey CVO with Illinois plates on it and vin numbers ground off. You can give me the other 10k on delivery or I’ll go get you a blue CVO if you can talk Bob into staying in one place long enough for me to track him down.
A check from the insurance company sounds like a great deal for the current owner of the grey CVO. Bet he wouldn’t even miss the bike.....I mean, he SAYS he’s gonna keep it, but we all know how that goes.....

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I've seen a lot of mako blue CVOs out on the roads. A couple silvers, but no red peppers.

·
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't want any bike that has Illinois plates, everything in that state has some sort of scam attached to it, especially if you're dealing with a state official. Didn't they just have 2 Governors in a row that went to the gray bar hotel? Besides that, Cuzin' Eddie would be in tears if his bike disappeared ..... after all, THIS IS HIS LAST BIKE! Ya right.

Just spoke to B & K on Friday. They're in Texas at the SW 8.5, but are headed for Utah in the next couple of days.

As much as I like both those bikes, I'd prefer the 2019 pepper red 2 tone. If you see a good deal on one on EBAY, let me know.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I'll get out the "good towels"............see ya soon pumpkin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts