Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 14K, all excited to get new tires on my scoot. Decided on Michelin Commander II F/R tires and figured I'd be prepared and maybe save a buck by getting the tires at Motorcycle Superstore (MCSS). Went to the HD Dealer today with the tires and they advised me that the date code on the tires indicated that they were made 5 years ago. After debating whether to put them on or not, I decided not and had HD order the same tires from their vendor for a bit more $$. Taking a HOG ride out to Daytona this weekend on the OEM tires, which are just about shot and humming through the sweeping turns, and and will get the new Commanders on in a week or so. Just sent the 5 year old Commander IIs back to MCSS and lesson learned. Would they have been safe, probably. But on two wheels probably isn't good enough. Maybe this will help someone else with tire manufacture date awareness. Glide on!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah, from a safety standpoint I can see your reasoning, but I don't think I'd put another 300+ round trip miles on tires that are just about shot either. Would have explained I needed them for a road trip which is now set back, and how about they send a fresh set expidited, pronto, stat, like yesterday even. At least they're taking them back, albeit at your inconvenience. Me, I'd have just eaten the cost and left the dealership with a fresh set of OEM Dunlops, but that's just me. Sorry for ya man, it's real pi$$er for sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I've bought a few tires from MSS, never had a problem, in fact the date code usually shows the tires just a few months old. I usually but Elites, so that may have something to do with it also. Besides taking them back and paying the shipping are they offering you anything else?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice about safety with the existing tires. I just shook my head and sent them back with the return UPS label. Once they get them I'll work getting the $6.99 return shipping back. Like the old CSNY song Woodstock "Life is for Learning" and I'll be more careful in the future. Not specifically looking to diss MCSS as it sounds others have had good luck with no issues. Apparently just my luck this time.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Good advice about safety with the existing tires. I just shook my head and sent them back with the return UPS label. Once they get them I'll work getting the $6.99 return shipping back. Like the old CSNY song Woodstock "Life is for Learning" and I'll be more careful in the future. Not specifically looking to diss MCSS as it sounds others have had good luck with no issues. Apparently just my luck this time.
The reality is that MSS should have checked the date & not shipped those tires in the first place, but mistakes do happen.
The lesson here is that when ordering online you have to check the date upon receipt. Then, promptly call the vendor for an explanation. My guess is they would have sent you a new set while you were returning the dated shoes. Or, at least, that's what I would have asked them to do.

To paraphrase David Crosby: "When I finally get my Glide together, I'm gonna get down in that sunny southern weather."

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
After 14K, all excited to get new tires on my scoot. Decided on Michelin Commander II F/R tires and figured I'd be prepared and maybe save a buck by getting the tires at Motorcycle Superstore (MCSS). Went to the HD Dealer today with the tires and they advised me that the date code on the tires indicated that they were made 5 years ago. After debating whether to put them on or not, I decided not and had HD order the same tires from their vendor for a bit more $$. Taking a HOG ride out to Daytona this weekend on the OEM tires, which are just about shot and humming through the sweeping turns, and and will get the new Commanders on in a week or so. Just sent the 5 year old Commander IIs back to MCSS and lesson learned. Would they have been safe, probably. But on two wheels probably isn't good enough. Maybe this will help someone else with tire manufacture date awareness. Glide on!
Maybe you got the same one that 3 other guys had sent back because of the same problem. :surprise:

Make sure you register your tire with the manufacture. You can do it online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts