Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning on a solo ride to Big Bend Oct. 26-28 if anyone wants to join me. I have never been to Big Bend before so am looking forward to it.

have not finalized plans but probably leave The Woodlands (north of Houston) on Friday 6 am and spend night in Ft. Stockton or Alpine.

would be willing to consider adding a thursday or monday if anyone interested.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hummm......
I've lived here for 11 years now and have never made the time to take a trip out there.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You are picking a great time of year to hit Big Bend. I have been trying to get out that way for the last three weeks and "life events" keep getting in the way. When I checked the weather for Big Bend this morning it was a balmy 49 degrees F...LOL

·
Registered
955 Posts
I may be able to get out there on Saturday the 27th. Would be afternoon, though. I'd probably stay a couple of nights, maybe come home Tuesday.

Where are you going to be staying? Fort Davis is a good town to call home base. You ought to go to the Star Party at the McDonald Observatory, it's near Ft. D. Stars so bright they've been known to cast a shadow in complete darkness! The nerdy professors that work there take you through a laser guided tour of the universe and it really is a cool thing to experience. However, they do it late at night up on the mountain and I wouldn't want to ride all the way back to BB or even Alpine afterward. Especially this time of year with the deer in rut.

Just so you can plan your trip, as an FYI. Last October I made it from my campsite in BB to my garage in less than 8 hours. I rode 118 up to 67 to I-10 to 290, a little over 450 miles but virtually no speed limit except on 290.

Another FYI- Alpine is right along the railroad tracks. There's no place in town that you can't hear them when they roll through, horns a blowin' at 2, 3, 4 a.m. etc...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I live in Sanderson (in the Big Bend country) where it's miles and miles of miles and miles. Fort Davis, Alpine, Marfa, Marathon are pretty close together. Big Bend National Park is still quite a ride south of Alpine (the west entrance) or south of Marathon (the north entrance). I agree with Andyman, Fort Davis is a great place to stay and the Fort and Observatory are cool. There is also a scenic loop that is a pretty neat ride. If you travel south from Marfa to Presidio, you can get on the River road and ride to Terlingua/Study Butte. It is a really good ride along the Rio Grande. Marathon also has the Gage Hotel and a lot of folks make their base there. To add to what Andyman says about the deer, you also have to watch out for Elk and Javelina (suicide pigs). We try very hard to avoid riding after dark.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This ride will be postponed until I have more time. I decided it is just too far for a 3 day week-end. I am considering Texas Hill Country again or south Louisiana. last week-end in Oct. or 1st weekend in Nov

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you travel south from Marfa to Presidio, you can get on the River road and ride to Terlingua/Study Butte. It is a really good ride along the Rio Grande.
I haven't ridden every road in the U.S. but I'm working on it. Tx 170 (River Rd) is on my list of top 5 best/ funnest roads ever ridden. The roller coaster section south of Redford leaves me grinnin' every time I ride it!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wanted so much to make this ride but that dang 4 letter word got in the way. Without it I can't have my RG.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Close, w-o-r-k

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Man, I got to looking at my calender and you picked a bad weekend for me. I plan on being in Dallas that weekend to see the NY GIANTS stomp a mudhole in the cowboys ass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts