Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I just got back from my first long ride (>1000 miles in 3 days) and noticed that I have a pretty long scratch on the left side of my fairing and I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations on how I go about getting this fixed. I tried just normal wax and buffing and it did no good. I've been researching on line the different repair kits (3M looked pretty interesting) and thinking of doing this on my own but just not sure I want to make my first repair job on my 12 Harley.

The scratch doesn't seem too deep but I can feel it with my fingernail and it does appear white under the scratch. In total it is approx. 6 inches long.

I live in the Eastern Shore Md area and if anyone has any recommendations on a shop that does this kind of stuff I would appreciate it.

Any other recommendations welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wouldn't be able to begin to tell how what to use or how to do it. I would however take it to a reputable body shop in your area and see what they might be able do for you.

Also, you might get a better response if this was posted in the paint and body work forum.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I would also take it to a body shop to see if they can do it. By the time you add up materials, plus there is no guarantee on those products that it will turn out "like original" I think the extra cost of having pro do it won't seem that expensive, since they will be able to do it right.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I got a two inch scratch on my tank on the right side of the console. Talk about pissed! Mine kinda sounds about the same depth as yours. I've been to a couple of paint/body shops and they all want to "repaint" the dam tank. A few people have told me to have a detail shop or one of those "dent repair" shops look at it instead. I'll post if I get any good news and subscribe in case someone else finds a "not having to paint the whole damn thing" remedy...

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I've used Meguiars Scratch-X and Mezerna's Intense Polish either for deep scratches

My favorite is Final Polish II

the German stuff isn't easy to find, but Scratch-X is sold at most Walmarts.

use a damp natural sponge, keep a bucket handy and don't let the polish start to drag, or get dry, once it does, add a little more polish, and clean the sponge, you are basically working the paint and clear back in to the scratched area.

if you get on it too much you can mess it up, so try and do it in the shade, best time is morning or afternoon, not in the sun or on a hot panel.

get good lighting and shade so you can see as the scratch dissappears

answer b: any good detailer or auto body will make short work of it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed!

Just want to let everyone know that I visited a shop in Annapolis Maryland. The name is Uni-tech Collision repair and the owner Don did a fantastic job removing my scratch (and explaining it to me while he worked on it). It took him less than 10 minutes and he didn't even charge me a penny. Awesome job and great customer service!

Visit him if you are local for any of your body shop needs!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Go to Auto Zone and buy Quixx Repair System. It comes with a rubbing compound/polishing compound and strips of wet sand paper. I have used the kit to repair a couple scratches that look like yours. I sanded the scratch out of the clear coat and then polished it out. Can't even tell there ever was a scratch. I purchased the touch up paint kit for BBP to fix a chip in the fender. Built the paint up and used the Quixx repair kit to fix and again can't tell there ever was a chip. Hope this helps

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just did a buddies orange saddlebag. The bike was laid over on some gravel. The nicks in the bottom edge were to the "white".

I filled in the nicks wIt h touch up paint applied with a #2 brush,which makes for a smooth fill. I let it dry for 24 hours. Then I wrapped a pencil eraser with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and sanded down the fill and blend id it with the surrounding paint.

Then I used 3000 grit wet sand paper and finished dressing I it out.

Once it was smooth to the touch, I used rubbing compound the take out the sanding haze followed by polishing compound to give it plenty of shine. Then I waxed i
T with a high quality liquid wax. I did not clear coat it because he didn't bring me any and I didn't have any. It usually come with the HD touch up.

The nicks were on the bottom edge so clear coat is really not necessary. The nicks cannot be seen or felt. They are gone. It's like it never happened.

If you do this, make sure and uses a good brush. The touch up brushes will leave lines and voids. Those are difficult to sand and polish out. Also, don't rush the finishing process. I like to let the paint dry for 24 hours before sanding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It pays to understand and be halfway decent at color sanding and orbital buffing. I learned on my old truck until I felt confident moving on to the wife's new Mercedes and now my Harley's. With that being said, the compounds and the tools for a one time scratch don't make it worth it but it quickly comes in handy if you have the time and the means to remove scratches as they pop up.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Next time leave it alone it adds character to the bike. My 08 has scratches and rock chips all over and every chip & scratch has a memory of a nice ride. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts