Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm in last steps of planning my project bike, have the colours, all the extras etc. just don't like the stock wheels from the 2008 bike, just don't go.

I've seen some lovely chrome wheels buy different manufacturers which seem fine.

The one thing my mechanics have come up was did I want to go for the big front wheel like a lot of people seem to go for.

I need some help only having ridden on stock I didn't mind the ride, especially on motorways and on local roads. Now I now a lot of you with the larger front wheels obviously live the US, but I would like to know:

Does having the front wheel have any draw backs?
Does it affect handling?
Knowing most of your roads are straight over there, in the UK they are rare what's the handling like on twisty rural roads like?

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

G

·
I'd like to know the same. I'm changing these 2011 rgu wheels soon as possible. I hate them,Its a pain in the tuckus to keep them clean. I too would like to go larger in the front but worry about handling etc.

· Registered
828 Posts
you may have to lower the front end. if you have lowered the rear already, you will definetly need to lower the front. there are a few threads about a 21 rubbin the inner fender at highway speeds. With that in mind, you may need to raise the front fender a bit. 1/4 " If you can keep the trail similar to stock, you shouldnt see any difference in handling. This would be done by lowering, or raising front or rear to keep bike level.

· Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2008 RG with a 21" RC Components wheel on the front. Bought it used that way. I can tell no difference in the handling, and can not see where the fender/mount has been changed in any way.

· Registered
855 Posts
I have a 23" wheel, and I lowered the front 2" and its still nowhere near the fairing. I have no issues at all with th elarger wheel, handles great
What about tire expansion at higher speeds, some people have hot mentioned tires rubbing on metal and bubbling paint. They have a trick where they drill out the rivets and "tilt" the fender for more clearance. Its very slight, but makes the difference. You probably don't have it, maybe you have a good tire/wheel combo. I would like to go with a 21/17 spoke combo, down the road. Handling shouldn't be decreased, because the contact patch is the same, there is less sidewall though.

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Guys,

I'm in last steps of planning my project bike, have the colours, all the extras etc. just don't like the stock wheels from the 2008 bike, just don't go.

I've seen some lovely chrome wheels buy different manufacturers which seem fine.

The one thing my mechanics have come up was did I want to go for the big front wheel like a lot of people seem to go for.

I need some help only having ridden on stock I didn't mind the ride, especially on motorways and on local roads. Now I now a lot of you with the larger front wheels obviously live the US, but I would like to know:

Does having the front wheel have any draw backs?
Does it affect handling?
Knowing most of your roads are straight over there, in the UK they are rare what's the handling like on twisty rural roads like?

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers

Rich
1. Does having the front wheel have any draw backs?
Answer,...NO, but it aint Cheap!
2.Does it affect handling?
Answer,... NO, it inhances it!
3. Same answer as # 2.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Youll get a wide range of reponses here. With the different type of riding styles and expectations of the bike to perform those expectations there are several factors. I personally dont have any experience running oversized wheels, but I will say there isnt any application where you add form without sacrificing function, and vice versa. So, the basics would be as I see them:

Price - Get ready to pay with the initial purchase, and with tire replacement
Brakes - You may want to add bigger brakes or change to a single caliper as so to show off the bling.
Ride - I cant see taking away side wall and keeping a smooth ride, but with a small sidewall you should have quick handling characteristics.
Looks - their is nothing to dispute here, bigger wheels adds bigger bling.

Its definitely the latest trend with bikes. It reminds me of the fat tire phase where bikes ended up with a 300mm tire only to use an inch out of the center. In the end you just laugh about it, much like wearing a mullet and parachute pants.

,,,and by the way, we have curvy roads here also. Depends what part of the country you live in.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the responses all good info.

Sorry hope I didn't offend with the road thing just the parts Ive been to in the US all seem very straight. Still not sure on the whole front wheel thing with prices the way they are here and increase in VAT this week prices for Custom and Harley stuff is astronomical.

Again thanks.

Rich

· Registered
113 Posts
Sorry hope I didn't offend with the road thing just the parts Ive been to in the US all seem very straight.
Rich
Rich,
Sounds like you're visiting the wrong states.;)

· Registered
821 Posts
I have installed 21's on a couple of my Harleys. Did it myself. !st I found handling to be effected at slower speeds. The steering seemed to get heavy to me. Not stiff but heavy. Not sure I can explain it you just have to experience it. However that was on FLHT with Street glide shocks and stock 16" rear tire without the front being lowered. Once I installed an 150-18 on back that problem seemed to go away. This is the effect of trail that Gonekat spoke about.
In my opinion you definetly need to lift the rear of the fender slightly. Even if it does not rub, i am always concerned about a small rock sticking to the tire and denting the fender. Do this buy either drilling out or sloting the rear mounting holes of the fender. I used a 3/8" drill and then with a round file I elongate the hole slightly so that the rear of the fender would rotate up. Touch up the bare metal with some paint (you cant see it when you reattach the fender) to keep it from rusting.
As far a cost goes, if your diligent and you know what to look for you can score a used one on e-bay. Anti-Lock might be hard to find though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.