Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to Naples Florida leaving Oshawa, Ontario very end of November. I just purchased a covered trailer to drive as far as North Carolina on the first day. Then need to park SUV and trailer and carry on with my trip on the Glide. Feel that I can get through North & South Carolina and Georgia the second day and through Florida arriving in Naples some time on Sunday December 2nd. Will stay almost 2 weeks heading back north in the reverse order. I have never riden that far but am very excited about the trip. I have always done the trip via airplane. Looking for any help with advise on where I might park my SUV and trailer, where to stay, places to avoid etc...PS I am a female rider. Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the 2 cents but its a motorcycle not a snow mobile!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Not sure what dealer they parked it at but Gman trailered down last October from Maine to Biketoberfest in Daytona. They stopped in North Carolina at some Harley dealer that he had contacted ahead of time and they agreed to let him park his truck and trailer there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Contact a Harley dealer close to where you want to start riding they will usually have a place to leave your vehicle and trailer for a couple of weeks. I've done it several timesin south Georgia and north Fla.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealership

I will look into local dealerships. I will get the route I hope to use and list it.
Thanks for the input so far.
Sandi

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Be sure to visit the Keys, also from Naples you can take 41 and go to Everglade City, stop at a place called City Seafood for lunch, a lot of neat and fresh food on the menu.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The dealer idea is the best. If you can't work something out I have a brother and a nephew who live in Knoxville TN who may have room for the trailer for a bit.

As for riding advice... take back roads as much as posssible. You really won't miss anything by not taking 75 or 95. They are only good for making up some time.

I just came back from a trip to New England and took 129 from Knoxville to Macon GA. Great ride.

As others have mentioned, the Keys are a relatively short ride from Naples and there are some other pretty cool places in SFL also.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Route

What is your planned route, there are a couple of ways you could go.
I plan to cross at the 1000 Island Bridge east of Kingston into New York. Use #81 to avoid the Belt in Washington.
Will hope to get to Richmond VA and stay the night there. In the morning drive to Fayetteville (I will have to pre check with this delership about parking). This hsa me on 95 and willlook for advise from there south to Naples. Would like to spend 2 days riding to get to Naples. Will check to see if there is a dealershipin Richmond, VA too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Sanmac- In Florida this'll take you off the interstate and on some good 2 lane roads.

Through north, centeral, and south/west florida; I-95 to just past St. Augustine, exit 298 towards Bunnell on US-1. In Bunnell take a right heading south/west towards Deland on HWY 11. In Deland take SR 44 west to Tavares. In Tavares head south on SR 19. At Polk City head over to Hwy 17 south, pass Arcadia to I-75 south to Naples.

A couple places on this route where you can jump on or off the interstate.

**Peace River Seafood in Punta Gorda (on 17 a little east of 75) COLD Beer and Fresh Crab!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info

Thanks so much, this is just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Now if the general manager from Fayetteville, NC Harley dealership will return my message and I have a spot to park; all will be good.:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much, this is just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Now if the general manager from Fayetteville, NC Harley dealership will return my message and I have a spot to park; all will be good.:)
I got the OK to Park at Cape Fear Harley Davidson, in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Yea!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Another good ride through central FL:
I-95 south past St Augustine, exit SR 207 west through Palatka to SR 19 south. After leaving Palatka and after going over the Oklawaha River Bridge (Cross Florida Barge Canal) if you want a nice break take the 1st right after the bridge and visit the Rodman Dam, restrooms, benches and a nice scenic river view, ~3 miles down the road. Then south on SR 19 for a nice 2-lane ride through the Ocala National Forest. Very little traffic. Turn west on CR 314 to SR 40 west through Silver Springs and Ocala. SR 40 intersects @ I-75 south after Ocala. Straight south after that. Ocala to Tampa ain't much fun but it is what it is. From Tampa to Naples count on ~3 hrs, straight, fast and boring ride. Only 3 rest areas.

This is my usual route when traveling to and from Jacksonville from Ft Myers. Avoid I-4 if possible is probably the best advice I can give you. If you want to stop and see Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona it's at the intersection of US1 and I-95. It's pretty impressive. From there you can get back on I-95 south, ride about 10 miles to SR 40 west straight across to I-75.

Scoots

·
Registered
44 Posts
Greetings from a fellow Ontarioian.
Trailering to NC in late November does not ensure great weather at the beginning of your ride. If you are not returning to your trailer after your ride until mid-December you may wish to trailer further south before starting the ride. Further south should provide a better chance for good weather.
Enjoy...............

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greetings from a fellow Ontarioian.
Trailering to NC in late November does not ensure great weather at the beginning of your ride. If you are not returning to your trailer after your ride until mid-December you may wish to trailer further south before starting the ride. Further south should provide a better chance for good weather.
Enjoy...............
Do you think South Carolina would do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts