Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CVO Ultra traded for 2020 Black on Black RG Limited.
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 60k service done on Wednesday left for the Blue Ridge by way of the Outerbanks Saturday. 700 miles into the trip lost the rear brakes (dealer installed new pads) the front brakes locked up rear tire went flat and front only had 20 PSI when we got it to the shop after an $1100 tow bill. We were on Ocracoke Island with catastrophic brake failure so had ferry ride etc to deal with. The Master tech says brake job blew a seal causing ABS to get air in it and master cylinder to blow out and lock the fronts. Tires were damaged due to low air pressure, air filter was filthy. ESP Warranty paid for all the repairs including tires not the tow.
Now the bride does not trust our 2015 CVO RGU who knows what else the dealer did wrong in the last 45k.
Traded it for a blacked out 2020 Limited Ultra.
Ever heard of these type brake issues?
Servicing dealer says they did everything right. Discussions are not finished.

·
Registered
2019 RGU. Midnight blue/silver. “MARLIN”
690 Posts
Never heard of that issue but my last H-D service was horrible too. Never going back to that dealer. My dealer closed last month.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sounds like the tech was pencil whipping the service, change the oil/filter and send you on your way...paying full price. Definitely find another dealer/shop and find a good senior tech and request that person every time.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Sounds like the tech was pencil whipping the service, change the oil/filter and send you on your way...paying full price. Definitely find another dealer/shop and find a good senior tech and request that person every time.
or learn how to do the service yourself. it really isn't that difficult.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or learn how to do the service yourself. it really isn't that difficult.
But I ask why do anything that came with the bike...3 years unlimited miles should have been a good deal. When the work is done wrong there is an issue.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It seems I am hearing stories like this more and more. Talked to an old military buddy last night at a local bike night and he mentioned issues with the maintenance performed at a local dealership. He recommended another HD dealership that he trusts (a nice 90 minute ride away) but trusts their service department. He also recommended a local independent Harley-certified mechanic who upgrades all of his services for about half the price. Coming up on the 5K service... :unsure:

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
549 Posts
There will be instances, a lot of "kids" think they want to wrench Harleys, and go to MMI, get a job at dealership, they are in! then they realize, life! you have just begun the journey, and they find themselves in a place they don't desire to be, I see it in my current gig, a school bus transportation department, we had a kid mechanic, he went equivalent Diesel school, DMI??? yet we are a full on propane bus fleet. I manage the fleet 'stuff' to include mechanics. this kid, like many, is still curious about computers, IT world. his heart wasn't in mechanics and as much as he tried, he was slow to pick it up, but dammit he tried, he moved on. he actually took from inventory trailer tires and show being installed on an F-450 in our maintenance fleet. we have another mechanic, middle aged, been around almost 15 years, been getting by doing service inspections, time to do heavy work, he's MIA, will admit he isn't a mechanic, its a job. if i wasn't working in government, I would terminate personally. point is, you're going to get an occasional hiccup as this isn't isolated BUT its not prevalent. with social media, you are just going to 'hear' about it more. don't read into it, push on like you do with any obstacle, I hope you do, and get to riding. if all else fails, and you have the ability, service the bike oneself, its not hard. I find it cool AF that some say they "have to" ride to a 'trusted' dealer or shop, that's like, win/win!!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
It seems I am hearing stories like this more and more. Talked to an old military buddy last night at a local bike night and he mentioned issues with the maintenance performed at a local dealership. He recommended another HD dealership that he trusts (a nice 90 minute ride away) but trusts their service department. He also recommended a local independent Harley-certified mechanic who upgrades all of his services for about half the price. Coming up on the 5K service... :unsure:
This has been a ongoing issue in my area.. I have had parts loose and falling off, parts scratched, damaged during service.. As if that's not bad enough you get an attitude from the service manager when you go back and question and point out the issues.. Totally unacceptable!! The main problem is the Stealers staff minimum amount of tech's to do max amount of service naturally mistakes will be made.. I actually believe that the MOCO closing all these dealerships and forcing people to find Indy's is a good thing.. Harley has proven time and time again that they only care about our $$$$ and not us or our safety!! The little guy who's lively hood depends on good service will come out on the top in the wake of Harleys "Hardwire" BS and that is win win for both of us....

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Shadow1, I just realized that we are from the same area and talking about the same dealership network. The dealership recommended multiple times for their positive maintenance reputation is in Gainesville (I'm sure you have heard the same). Glad you and the misses are ok. When I was stationed in NC I rode the Outer Banks a few times by Jeep and still want to two-wheel it. I hope you were able to salvage at least some of that trip!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
But I ask why do anything that came with the bike...3 years unlimited miles should have been a good deal. When the work is done wrong there is an issue.
you didn't mention anything in your op about having the maintenance plan. i just assumed (obviously incorrectly) that you were taking it into the dealer and paying for your periodic services. me personally, i still find that it is more economic for me to do my own services over the cost of the prepaid. ymmv.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you didn't mention anything in your op about having the maintenance plan. i just assumed (obviously incorrectly) that you were taking it into the dealer and paying for your periodic services. me personally, i still find that it is more economic for me to do my own services over the cost of the prepaid. ymmv.
In my case I paid $2000 for a 3 year unlimited service deal, by the end of the 3 years that would have been at least 12 full services less than $175 each and I didn't have to get dirty, LOL I knew we would have 4 back to back services in a 3 month period when I bought it. We had 2 major trips in the works. I feel confident the tech cut corners just don't know where else and since the bride who 3 weeks ago said no run this one till the warranty runs out in 2022 changed her mind it was "back in black".

I am just wondering if anyone else has heard of this type of total brake failure. And what may have caused it.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I'm glad to see that You and The Mrs. walked away from what could have been a real disaster.
Best of Luck with The New Glide!
Furthermore, this is just another reason why My 12 Custom has never been back to "The Dealer" and that I do all My Own Repairs.
This way, if something goes wrong, I only have Myself to Blame.
Mike U.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had 60k service done on Wednesday left for the Blue Ridge by way of the Outerbanks Saturday. 700 miles into the trip lost the rear brakes (dealer installed new pads) the front brakes locked up rear tire went flat and front only had 20 PSI when we got it to the shop after an $1100 tow bill. We were on Ocracoke Island with catastrophic brake failure so had ferry ride etc to deal with. The Master tech says brake job blew a seal causing ABS to get air in it and master cylinder to blow out and lock the fronts. Tires were damaged due to low air pressure, air filter was filthy. ESP Warranty paid for all the repairs including tires not the tow.
Now the bride does not trust our 2015 CVO RGU who knows what else the dealer did wrong in the last 45k.
You need an Independent Shop.
Many stealerships rely on High School kids with almost no training to do minor jobs with little supervision.
Jeopardizing your life and limb to save $10 AN HOUR ON LABOR while charging you $170 an hour.
My mechanic (Nick) at Full Throttle Works, Groveland FL is a former MMI Instructor and is a stellar mechanic.

The independent RELIES on his reputation to stay in business. He will find things I never looked at.

I've owned 7 Harleys. A warranty is generally useless. A decent bike won't need one.

·
Registered
2011 RGU Stage 2.5
4 Posts
I think this is the type of experience that the majority of Harley owners experience at some point. The experience that finally leads you to find a personal mechanic or start doing work yourself. Personally, I enjoy doing my own work. The first blow back that statement will get is " But you wont maintain your warranty." Well, again, most folks who have had to deal with the dealership to get warranty work done, wish they hadn't also. Im not trying to poop on you or Harley. I love my Harleys and just recently got off my Softail and onto an RGU (which I friggin love!)

My advice, start calling around to independent bike shops that handle Harley or specialize in Harley. Go down and talk to them. Meet the people that are going to work on your bike. It's a sure bet that unless you are waaayyy out in the boonies, you will find someone that gives you a warm fuzzy about caring for your scooter.

In regards to your brakes, it's been a pretty common occurence that folks complain about wobbling under braking, brake fade in the rear, damaged rear calipers. I think in most cases the culprit ends up being the crap quality of the rotors on our big bikes. The issue compounds with 2 up and loaded riding.

So, go find a good mechanic that you trust and tell him along with going through your bike that you want some Galpher rotors installed and some nice pads. my .02

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
The first blow back that statement will get is " But you wont maintain your warranty."
and that statement is bullshit. doing your own services has no impact on your warranty, unless you did something catastrophically wrong (forgetting to put oil in before you start it, etc).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I never liked bikes that relied on warranty work to remain operable.
Same with cars. I had a Lincoln that qualified for Lemon Law refund.
Three warranty covered repairs for the same failure (ABS Brakes).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts