Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while riding in VA. My buddy's 2006 Electra glide (former police bike) just shut off on him on 4 different occasions all within about 20 minutes. It only happened once he came to a complete stop twice for a stop sign and twice when stopping to make a left hand turn and waiting for traffic to pass. The bike never idled rough or have any indication it was going to shut off. It just shut off but he was able to immediately start it right back up. It was about 88 degrees and we did about 160 miles of rural country riding. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
593 Posts
kill switch

The first thing I'd look at is the kill switch, bad wiring? Have the bars been changed?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Loose battery cables or a loose ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bars are stock. Kill switch wiring and battery cables both are good ideas thanks! I'll check those out. He's probably ridden another 200 miles since then and it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yesterday while riding in VA. My buddy's 2006 Electra glide (former police bike) just shut off on him on 4 different occasions all within about 20 minutes. It only happened once he came to a complete stop twice for a stop sign and twice when stopping to make a left hand turn and waiting for traffic to pass. The bike never idled rough or have any indication it was going to shut off. It just shut off but he was able to immediately start it right back up. It was about 88 degrees and we did about 160 miles of rural country riding. Any help would be much appreciated.

@LoweBudget....when you say it "shut off" did you lose all electrical power (ie: no radio, gauge illumination) as well or did the engine just die? Just curious...

Lindsey :0)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After market radio stays on. Not sure about the gauges. It always happens so fast that he starts it right back up because he's been on the road almost every time it's happened. Although yesterday it did happen as he pulled into a parking space.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked battery cables last night. Everything appeared to be solid. Any where you suggest looking for loose grounds?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also he did install a day maker headlight and auxiliary lights a week or so ago before it started. But the headlight was plug and play. The aux lights we had to solder the new harness on. But that was fairly simple. We cut the ends off and soldered the new harness on and them put heat shrink tubing over the connections and they appear pretty solid also still. Again it's only ever happened when coming to a stop. No rough idle and hasn't ever done it while moving?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Checked battery cables last night. Everything appeared to be solid. Any where you suggest looking for loose grounds?
Ground on kill switch or bad switch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Negative cable attachment to frame of bike. I also have had an issue with poor quality threads on the battery. If you have replaced the battery bolt when adding accessory wiring ensure that it is not too long and bottoming out before a solid connection is made.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Almost bet it's the ignition switch. That's the way it starts and then it will get so bad that you have to move the switch back and forth. With that age bike it almost is always the switch/fork lock. About $98 at the dealership. Just changed one out last week. The contacts had gotten corroded and caused it to heat up and the plastic around it had swollen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it was the ignition switch wouldn't the radio and everything cut off? He's only needing to his the start switch on the handlebars to restart.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Also he did install a day maker headlight and auxiliary lights a week or so ago before it started. But the headlight was plug and play. The aux lights we had to solder the new harness on. But that was fairly simple. We cut the ends off and soldered the new harness on and them put heat shrink tubing over the connections and they appear pretty solid also still. Again it's only ever happened when coming to a stop. No rough idle and hasn't ever done it while moving?
Extra draw from the fancy lights could be getting things close enough to the edge that just a bit of extra load - like the brake lights - put it over and brownout the ignition.

And you did mention that it always & only happens while stopping/stopped.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So would the fix be a new ignition or something like a load equalizer?

QUOTE=Stoic Joker;3480642]
Extra draw from the fancy lights could be getting things close enough to the edge that just a bit of extra load - like the brake lights - put it over and brownout the ignition.

And you did mention that it always & only happens while stopping/stopped.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
828 Posts
Difficult to say as it depends on how much of what has been wired into where. But a general rule of thumb is that if anything has been changed or added right before things go awry...(within a week or so counts)...it's usually a good idea to start there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Does he have a power commander? I've seen several guys with twin cam bikes die like that. Unplug the PC & plug the connectors back together without it in line & try it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bars are stock. Kill switch wiring and battery cables both are good ideas thanks! I'll check those out. He's probably ridden another 200 miles since then and it hasn't happened again.
A friend of mine has an '07 Police Road King and it did the same thing a few months back when the weather got really warm. We gassed up early in the morning while it was cool and then ate breakfast before taking off. He filled his tank completely up and into the filler neck. Temperature rose quickly that morning...black bike..gas expanded. Later that day, it got really warm and his shut off several times at stop lights. Ran fine except when off the throttle. After we got home, I remembered a thread from the Big Dog site concerning gas tank / cap venting. I called him and told him to take the cap off and put it back on. It's ran fine ever since. If he doesn't have an electrical problem, maybe it's a simple venting problem. Just a coincidence that both bikes are police bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts