Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I bought a 2021 Road Glide Limited. It came with a plug-in Headset.
Does the bike itself have a way to link to other bikes? My girlfriend is planning on buying a Tri-glide and she was wondering what helmet to buy for us to talk while riding together.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi everyone!
I bought a 2021 Road Glide Limited. It came with a plug-in Headset.
Does the bike itself have a way to link to other bikes? My girlfriend is planning on buying a Tri-glide and she was wondering what helmet to buy for us to talk while riding together.
If you want complete control of the stereo and bike to bike coms you will need a harley whim on each bike and then the harley branded sena units for the helmets.. if you are happy to be able to just talk to each just but a duo cardo bold coms set and use dmc to communicate.... you can then pair your phone to both the head unit for music only not phone call and the cardo bold for phone and or music depends and where you prefer the music to come from...

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want complete control of the stereo and bike to bike coms you will need a harley whim on each bike and then the harley branded sena units for the helmets.. if you are happy to be able to just talk to each just but a duo cardo bold coms set and use dmc to communicate.... you can then pair your phone to both the head unit for music only not phone call and the cardo bold for phone and or music depends and where you prefer the music to come from...

I should’ve added that I want to make sure I can still use Apple CarPlay. Will that duo cardo bold coms set allow that?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I should’ve added that I want to make sure I can still use Apple CarPlay. Will that duo cardo bold coms set allow that?
I have heard that using a non harley branded coms unit that the mic will be stuck to the head unit not allowing you to communicate with another rider

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Me and my buddy's use hand signals and yelling to communicate with each other. I'd yell "thirsty?" My buddy would reply "no its Wednesday!" . The reception is touch and go

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Simplest way is Old School. Harley-Davidson still has the CB, but no longer standard equipment. It’s now an extra cost addition.

Reactions: Christos0720

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
WHIM with HD branded SENA is the easy way. If Bike to bike is only real goal Then CARDO is the best there is. The new branded SENA's are not bad .
Reason for the HD branded is stereo sound,It works with HD infor center and all function can be control by it making it a lot more flexible .
It is a choice that requires home work to figure out what fits your budget and needs. I have a WHIM this is the second bike it was on. One of r the first when HD offered it.I had Sena S20's now have the SENA EVO's they met our needs.
Find real answers, do not rely on they say and I heard. Most often wrong.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My thoughts………

The Harley branded stuff is expensive. Plug and play to a point (requires a digital tech to turn on settings). Will only communicate with Harley branded products.

The wife and I have Cardo packtalk bold units. Connect to phones through BT. Can play music from phone through the headsets. Can communicate to other branded headsets through BT or mesh (except MoCo headsets).

I also have the CarPlay hack plug. Full connection to CarPlay and fully functional.

As stated previously do your homework and figure out your budget AND what you would like to accomplish both currently and in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I also have the CarPlay hack plug. Full connection to CarPlay and fully functional.

As stated previously do your homework and figure out your budget AND what you would like to accomplish both currently and in the future.
if you are using the plug, then it isn't 'fully' functional. it may meet your needs and wants, but if full functionality is what you're after, then the whim is necessary. i do agree with your second statement though, do your homework, figure out what you exactly want and need, and go from there.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
One thing to remember using the Harley-Davidson CB, WHIM, or the Sena is that they require anyone on the other end to have one too. I’ve used the CB in the past because Harley-Davidson installed the CB as standard equipment. But not installed as Standard Equipment any more. 😕
I‘ve thought about getting a WHIM, but the headset had a battery life of around 10 to 12 hours of constant use. When I’m on my cross country rides, I’m on the road over 12 hours regularly. I don’t want my headset to die. So I installed the Rider Headset Connector Kit (69200865) to use with my corded headset. I did plan for a CB by adding the correct right handlebar switch control to add the CB later.

Reactions: Christos0720

·
Registered
79 Posts
if you are using the plug, then it isn't 'fully' functional. it may meet your needs and wants, but if full functionality is what you're after, then the whim is necessary. i do agree with your second statement though, do your homework, figure out what you exactly want and need, and go from there.
Hmmmmmm……. what isn’t functional with the plug? Haven’t figured out anything not usable…… yet. I can move the mouse, make selections, even use Siri and answer and make phone calls. Please let me know so I can make a decision on its importance and functionality. Would also let others know here as well.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
The Sena with WHIM works with other devices. Aso if you waidh you can use 1 channel for bike to bikee the other for your own uses. My OLD Cardios Q3's will connect with the sena if i wish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wouldn’t it be nice if HD would allow for bike to bike communication through the head unit? Bluetooth connection between HD radios would great. no worries about batteries dying, or forgetting about charging them before you ride. And also had the capability to pair with headsets for riders that don’t have radio units, like the softail family. I have the rider headset connector installed on my and my wife’s bikes. The only thing we are missing is the bike to bike communication. I do miss the CB we had before…

·
Registered
133 Posts
For those worried about the head set dying on a long trip, I have a second "LIVE" accessory plug in the tour pack, and every time we stop for lunch, or an extended stop, I plug the device in.
I was running the H-D branded Sena that came with my CVO, but recently switch to a Cardo PackTalk Bold Black. Sound quality is better, battery life is longer, plus it doesn't crap out in the rain like the Sena did. Another thing I have done when the battery crapped out on a long ride, I just plug in the supplied coiled extension cord to the device and plug it in on the left side of the fairing. PITA, but at least I have communications.

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Hmmmmmm……. what isn’t functional with the plug? Haven’t figured out anything not usable…… yet. I can move the mouse, make selections, even use Siri and answer and make phone calls. Please let me know so I can make a decision on its importance and functionality. Would also let others know here as well.

what you lose is the voice control functionality. but obviously what you're doing is meeting your needs so no need for you to spend the extra money for the whim. i was just commenting that you do not have 'full' functionality.

·
Registered
79 Posts
what you lose is the voice control functionality. but obviously what you're doing is meeting your needs so no need for you to spend the extra money for the whim. i was just commenting that you do not have 'full' functionality.
What can you control voice wise with the WHIM ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for some clarification there @skratch . It appears that the WHIM is for connection and interoperability with the Boom GTS system more than anything else and I can see what you were referring to. With the CarPlay and how I use it I can cover most of the commands that the WHIM provides for MoCo functions through my iPhone through Siri. I can’t comment on android auto as I don’t have one to know how it functions and what can crossover for various purposes.

All this here provides more info for folks to make educated choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts