Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty strange issue that I have never run across before. Last week end the wife and I went out to go for a ride. We needed to get some gas so we ran about four miles up the road to fill up and meet with some friends. I pulled in and filled up but when I tried to start the bike to move it over where our friends were parked it would not start. When I hit the switch it would not do anything at all, no click, no grunt, no nothing. The radio and lights were all operating fine. After about ten minutes everything operates normally and the bike starts and runs fine.

It is consistently doing this as long as the bike was brought up to operating temperature. If I only ride mile or so it doesn't do it but anything over three or four miles and it does it. The crazy thing is even if I am out riding 100 miles or so it only takes about 10 minutes of cool down to allow it to start again.

The things I have ruled out so far are:

Security System
Neutral Safety Switch
Clutch Safety Switch
Battery and Starter connections are all tight with no corrosion

I don't know of any other switches in the system. Have I missed any?

I am going to get it to repeat the symptom tonight and check for voltage at the starter so I can try to rule out a faulty starter. The only other thing I can think of is a sticking starter relay.

Any other Ideas out there?

The bike is an 07. It is stock internally and only has an aftermarket air cleaner and a set of home made slip-ons. I have been running this exact set up for thousands of miles with no problem including an 1100 mile Iron Butt Ride a couple weeks ago with no hint of a problem.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Did you try to cycle the ignition switch off/on when the bike does this. There has been a few times my bike did the same thing but turning the ignition off/on a few times fixed the issue. It could be the switch is going bad.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have a pretty strange issue that I have never run across before. Last week end the wife and I went out to go for a ride. We needed to get some gas so we ran about four miles up the road to fill up and meet with some friends. I pulled in and filled up but when I tried to start the bike to move it over where our friends were parked it would not start. When I hit the switch it would not do anything at all, no click, no grunt, no nothing. The radio and lights were all operating fine. After about ten minutes everything operates normally and the bike starts and runs fine.

It is consistently doing this as long as the bike was brought up to operating temperature. If I only ride mile or so it doesn't do it but anything over three or four miles and it does it. The crazy thing is even if I am out riding 100 miles or so it only takes about 10 minutes of cool down to allow it to start again.

The things I have ruled out so far are:

Security System
Neutral Safety Switch
Clutch Safety Switch
Battery and Starter connections are all tight with no corrosion

I don't know of any other switches in the system. Have I missed any?

I am going to get it to repeat the symptom tonight and check for voltage at the starter so I can try to rule out a faulty starter. The only other thing I can think of is a sticking starter relay.

Any other Ideas out there?

The bike is an 07. It is stock internally and only has an aftermarket air cleaner and a set of home made slip-ons. I have been running this exact set up for thousands of miles with no problem including an 1100 mile Iron Butt Ride a couple weeks ago with no hint of a problem.

Grab a test light, unplug the small wire at the starter and check for voltage there when you push the start button cold. Now go ride for 10 miles, stop, wait for it to act up and check again. If you still have voltage at the starter the starter is the problem. If not, work your way back, the starter relay is next, then the start button. If any of your safety switches are bad you won't get power to the start button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts