Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 RGU. I keep the bike hooked up on a battery tender whenever I'm not riding. Went to ride to work today, battery tender (Harley Model) was flashing green, meaning the battery is good to go. So I unhook the tender, turn the bike on...it cranks once and then rapid fire "clickclickclickclickclick". Figured maybe the outlet was bad (have a history of that with this garage), so I changed the outlet the tender was hooked into. Not 5 seconds after hooking it up, the light on the tender starts flashing green again, but this time the bike wouldn't even crank, just "clickclickclickclickclick". When I get home tonight I'll try another charger, see if maybe my tender has crapped the bed? It's a 3 y/o stock battery, though. Might be about that time for a swap?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi "88", I would recommend getting a multimeter (VOM). Check your battery before discarding it. The mulitmeter is also nice to have checking the battery charging when your engine is running. I have no experience with the MoCo b.t. but I highly recommend the Deltran battery tender (Plus High Efficiency 12v. 5 amp. 4-stage Smart charger).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Check your battery cables. Make sure they are clean & all connections are tight. My old 02 FLHT was infamous for the cables loosening up at the battery.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Good recommendations above. I have heard of batteries showing good, i.e. the green light on the tender, but having a bad cell. 3 years is a good life for a battery.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
The tender flashing green is not "good to go". Solid green means "good to go". Flashing green is one of three things. It's either "almost" charged, the battery is starting to go south, or you have a bad connection to the battery. My guess is a bad connection. Grab a 10mm wrench and tighten the battery bolts.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My Heritage had a loose ground at the frame ( it was dicked around with by LED guys) and it acted the same way. My Problem was that the battery soon died after the ground was fixed. I bet the tender was just marginally providing amps.

Couple years, maybe three, on a battery here in the desert is pretty good life.

A good tip, if multiple grounds are attached at the frame, then make sure the bolt has a washer to provide a slipping point for the cables so they can stay aligned. Also make sure the bolt is long enough with plenty of turns of thread engagement.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
another vote for a loose ground, it happened a few times on my last ultra, same symptoms.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got home and hooked it up to a proper charger. Got it up to 100 percent. I'll double check the battery terminals for tightness, and hook it back up to the tender. Are there other ground locations I should be aware of, besides where I grounded my amp (inside the fairing)?

·
Registered
169 Posts
You need a battery. I would bet money on it.

USA-Made Big Crank ETX30L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

Reason im so sure is that for all the years i had my 88" TC when it needed a battery I could get the regular slow crank warning, it was fate telling me to not tempt it because push starting a FLH is a two man job in Florida with not many hills. Well my first bad battery in the 103 was exactly what you descibe. I really thought I had a bad starter or something because it was just bang, click, nothin'...bad battery. I opted for the $90 Megacrank from batterymart.com but the one I linked above is the USA made DEKA which is the one Harley sells at huge markup. Good luck.:smile:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Got 3 years out of mine and it was toast.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after having the battery sit on the charger for a few hours last night until complete, I hooked it up to the tender overnight. Came out this morning and the light on the tender was solid green. Went to fire the bike up, one crank and it fired right up. Guess the battery was just too far gone for the tender to charge it all the way up.

So second question, the battery charger I have now requires me to remove the seat and everything under the seat to get to the battery terminals. Is there a good charger out there that uses the "plug" on the side of the bike? My tender uses it, but doesn't pack enough punch to fully charge the battery.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, after having the battery sit on the charger for a few hours last night until complete, I hooked it up to the tender overnight. Came out this morning and the light on the tender was solid green. Went to fire the bike up, one crank and it fired right up. Guess the battery was just too far gone for the tender to charge it all the way up.

So second question, the battery charger I have now requires me to remove the seat and everything under the seat to get to the battery terminals. Is there a good charger out there that uses the "plug" on the side of the bike? My tender uses it, but doesn't pack enough punch to fully charge the battery.
Check the ground on your charger plug. If you don't have a VOM buy one now. and learn how to trouble shoot with it and you will save money in the long run. Don't leave home without it!:wink:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
if the battery is good and the cables are tight, any tender should charge it up to full.
That is true..... it does, however, take a really long time. :surprise:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts