Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the Biketronics 2180 and 7.1. I have yet heard them because I wont be doing the install till next weekend but they were highly recommended. Just their customer service alone was impressive, they give me 10% off for being a forum member and also threw in a splash guard.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
The J&M system will be louder in db's at speed on the highway and provide better bass response and greater dynamic range ,,,,,,

J&M ROKKER XTP amp for the R/G is here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JAMP-250HR06P ,,,,,,,

J&M ROKKER XX Fairing speakers here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRRK-7252-RXX ,,,,,,,,

ROKKER XX Grills with tweeter and midrange here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRRK-GRTM ,,,,,,,

alternate tweeters to replace two gauges are here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HTWT-1025-CRF ,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've been running J&M's for 2 years now. I've heard other systems but for the money I think J&M wins hands down. Currently have a 500w amp with Rockers in the fairing, lowers, and trunk pack. To top it off I just ordered Their new saddle bag lids with the built in drivers. Dying to get them to finish the system off. Even with true dual exhaust and Supertrapp mufflers without end caps the music is still clear and audible running down the highway at over 80mph.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
I've been running J&M's for 2 years now. I've heard other systems but for the money I think J&M wins hands down. Currently have a 500w amp with Rockers in the fairing, lowers, and trunk pack. To top it off I just ordered Their new saddle bag lids with the built in drivers. Dying to get them to finish the system off. Even with true dual exhaust and Supertrapp mufflers without end caps the music is still clear and audible running down the highway at over 80mph.
I have the same system and I'm very happy with the sound. I also have to comment on the speakers being waterproof. Just got done riding 30 minutes in the hardest rain in 40 years of riding. Lighting hitting all around us. We couldn't see 10 feet in front of us.

After I got home I just flipped the speaker lids over and the water ran out. All 4 speakers survived in great shape.
Says allot about the quality of the j&m Speakers!

I'm not sure that other speakers are water proof. If they aren't I wouldn't buy them :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'll agree to disagree. I don't recommend either. I have had several myself and heard many systems that cost less and sound better than either system. I do have the biketronics now (I liked the warranty, got a smoking deal, and listened to the advice of a friend that had the system) and I don't recommend that either. The 2180 has no gain settings and the speakers are a bit bright. JM is loud but that is about all I can say for it. They both sound OK but for what you are paying it should sound better for the coin. I got better, richer sound out of running 2 rf amps and polk mm 6501s in the fairing and 651s in the lowers with an alpine head unit and it cost a lot less. Spend the same money as JM and go with Focal speakers. Soundstream makes a great amp but can jack with your fm reception. Do your research and listen to a lot of bikes. Lots will sound great in the parking lot but know that at 80 you'll lose most of your bass so it better thump from the front in the parking lot. If it sounds bright there it will be really bright at 80. Bag speakers are great under 40 but at cruising speed you'll barely hear them. Polyfill around the speakers in the fairin and in the lowers willb improve the bass response.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
All "systems" 1) sound better than stock 2) sound good in a parking lot

Riding friends bikes that have J&M, HawgWired, BikeTronics, etc, etc you can hear the words at 80mph but you can't hear the "music" at all :( ran 4 HawgWired components on my last bike and was left disappointed

Running 4 hertz speakers, JL amp and a Kenwood deck now and the cars next to me on the highway can sign along :eek:

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I've been through a few systems, right now I have Hawgwired amps, Focal, Infinity's, and Hertz speakers, (10) altogether, you can definitely here me coming and going, but I don't normally crank it too much. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i bought the Biketronics and I'm disappointed. 7.1's and the 2180 amp. I turn it up to halfway and it starts to distort. Bass and treble are both set at 1. Play a cd and it's a little better but running 60 mph or higher it all goes away. No bass whats so ever at any speed. I called Biketronics and talked to Bill. He said it's the stock radio. 09 Road Glide. He said he would refund my money if i wanted to send them back minus shipping and minus 7% restocking fee. As of right now I'm so disappointed I'm willing to take the hit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do with the head unit. I have the JM 500 watt amp 4 speakers and it can be heard at 80 plus. with stock head unit.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do with the head unit. I have the JM 500 watt amp 4 speakers and it can be heard at 80 plus. with stock head unit.
I agree that it can be heard, but what does it sound like at full volume?

·
Registered
275 Posts
no J&M

I have the J&M Rokkers and the 250w J&M amp and will be replacing them very soon. If you want quality sound do not get this setup. I've had it for probably two years now and have been pissed off since since I spent over 600 bucks for them.

Not only is the sound crap, I'm also having issues with the amp coming on. Sometimes (probably 60%of the time) when I start the bike, I have no sound whatsoever. I've contacted J&M and was informed that they are aware of the issue and that I need to send the amp back so they can reprogram it. Something about when your start the bike the voltage drops and the amp detects it and is designed to not come on.....basically it's a feature!

So, they wanted me to remove it from my bike and ship it back to them (at my own cost) so they could fix their "bug". I requested that they just ship me a new one and I'll send back the old one...they could even charge me for the new one until they receive the old one. I didnt' want to have to remove my fairing multiple times (yes I'm lazy!). Spending that kind of coin on a stereo, I should of received better service than I did......

This is when I said screw it...I'll keep the crap until I find a better replacement and just spend more money to get a better system. Money really wasn't the point here...it was the way I was treated.

Leaning toward the focals currently, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Most people have great experiences with J&M....just not me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am really struggling with this. I dropped $650 and its average at best. I can't turn it more that half way. Plus if i turn up the bass or the treble past 3 i can't even get to half volume. I only want fairing speakers and i am willing to spend around $800. I live in Des Moines Iowa and there is only 1 dealer that sells Focals. They don't even have the display hooked up to hear them.
Going to sturgis and would love to have it taken care of before i leave.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I am really struggling with this. I dropped $650 and its average at best. I can't turn it more that half way. Plus if i turn up the bass or the treble past 3 i can't even get to half volume. I only want fairing speakers and i am willing to spend around $800. I live in Des Moines Iowa and there is only 1 dealer that sells Focals. They don't even have the display hooked up to hear them.
Going to sturgis and would love to have it taken care of before i leave.
Well the bright side is there will be vendors at Sturgis, so at least you can listen before you buy, not too mention many people will be there with systems you can hear, I'm sure they'll be happy to share information with you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I made a change on my MP3 yesterday that really helped with my biketronics setup. I played with the settings. I kept the high end treble down and played with the other settings. I then turned the bass and treble settings down on the stock head unit. Now it is much less bright with clean sound at high volume. I think the big problem is that the 2180 amp doesn't allow for gain and crossover settings. The speakers are ok just really bright. I will never recommend an amp that doesn't allow you to adjust. Its on me for buying it though. I should have done more research.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Its truly amazing to me how all of you guys completely miss the point. The sound systems from these manufacturers are all great systems. The one common denominator of it all is the factory HK radio. If you have not heard the difference in sound between the HK and an aftermarket, you're selling yourself short. In all honesty, you will continue to think that all of the stuff is "crap" until you change the HK radio out for another one or at least send it off to get the pre-amps installed. Until one of those two things happens, you will continue to be disappointed in whatever plug-and-play system you purchase.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts