Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2180 amp and recently noticed that even with the volume all the way down there is a static noise coming through the speakers, all four speakers. I'm not to good with audio, so before I take off the fairing for the umpteenth time and start messing with wires, anybody have a recommendation what to start with first?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'd start with checking your AMP ground wire. Many installers will try and use a ground point close to the AMP, but I personally think that's a mistake. I always take the ground wire clear back to the battery and connect directly to the battery or the grounding terminal that Harley puts near the battery. I'd venture to say that a large % of people plagued by popping, hissing or static after an install of quality audio gear can be traced back to a poor choice on the ground.

If the ground connection looks good, make sure that the installer used the appropriate gauge 12v and ground wire. Inspect the wire insulation and take a look at the routing of the power and ground wires.

BT makes good gear, so I'd eliminate all of the potential issues of a poor installation before I assumed it was the BT2180.

If push comes to shove (or this might even be the first and best choice of action) contact Bill at Biketronics and ask him for his help in trouble shooting the issue.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Sounds like a loose or bad ground. BikeTronics has awesome customer service. They have techs there that will take the time to talk to you on the phone and work with you to solve the problem. I'd give em a call.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
88 Posts
It could also be that you have your gains on the amp set too high. They would be trying to over amplify a signal that is not really there.

I agree with checking your grounds as well. Amp grounding recommendations sometimes vary by manufacturer. Default is to go directly to the battery. But, I have also read that by doing that you have a very long grounding wire that can pick up interference if it run too close to the power wire going all the way back to the battery. I was having that issue (ignition noise feedback). I now have a short ground wire, going to where inner faring bracket bolts up. I was sure to remove all paint from that area and now have a ground lead of about 6". This resolved my issue of ignition noise feedback. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem was not there and began a,couple weeks ago, I will check the grounds. I hope its not the line leveler, this is the second one. The 2180 does not have gain settings and I did not touch them on the line leveler. If I need to I will get a hold of Mike at BT, they are a very helpful company. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts