Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about trying the Biketronics amp and speaker set up for my 2019 rgs. I’ve always used hawg wired in the past and have had good luck, I’ve read where the Biketronics has a clearer sound, I’ve also read that you need to flash the current system. Any help out there?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I had the BT 2180.15 in my 16 RGS. Killer sound. More bass and mids than I expected. I did not flash my head unit. Sounded great.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Which speakers are you looking at using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
The 165.3 are a better choice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I ran the Titans in a SGS and they got pretty loud but I found them to be quite brite. I eventually tamed them a bit after playing with the crossovers on both the amp (CV B52) and the BT line levelers. I would not recommend them though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Biketronics BT4180 amp and their version of the Sony XAV-AX5000 waiting to get installed in my new-to-me RGU, possibly this weekend. I also have a set of BT465 speakers: those were in my soon-to-be-traded '15 Ultra Limited (and before that, my '11 FLHX). Both the stock head unit and the Sony benefit from the amp, and their speakers are okay to MY ear (though everyone's tastes will vary). I will agree: the Titans (BT465) are a somewhat bright speaker (high notes can get shrill), so keep that in mind, and consider what you like to listen to most.

As for using a flash, if you're not adding rear speakers, there'd be no need: their Road Glide kit will have one BT355 line leveler. Their '15-up Road Glide speaker/amp kit will include everything you need to install it (except labor!) and with the exception of running the power lead to the battery (and the ground to the neck area ground), it should be a simple install.

The best part about Biketronics has to be their customer service: lifetime warranty on the amp and speakers (and the enclosure part of the Sony kit), and they are pretty responsive to questions. Mike (I believe one of the ownership folks) will call and speak with you and work with you to fix any problem you have or make it right, which is invaluable at times. True, it's not the cheapest option, but their products are very good quality and the service and warranty pushed them over the top for me.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Congrats on your Biketronics journey. Big fan of Biketronics, yeah there's better, or worse? Pricey? Yep, but well worth the peace of mind when it comes down to CS and Warranty....Running my BT for about 7years now, no issues, but with the help of a New Alpine HU that rocks this system...My HU is the missing link to let more clear loud sound of goodness across my 4 speakers system. (fairing/lowers)
Good luck and keep us posted with pixs?

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Recently put that kit in my 18 and I’m very happy with it. They have a device that you can “rent” from them for $50 that will allow you to flash the headunit yourself. Though I seem to recall reading on here someone saying it did not yet work on the 19’s but I would call as they may have it worked out by now.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had been reading many posts, and decided on the biketronics as well. I like good audio, and I had many emails back and forth with Donna at biketronics. She was a good help, and being in Canada, she suggested seeing if I could find the speakers here and maybe save shipping. I went with the hertz speakers (and be careful, there are a couple different ones that look similar. You want the Mille Legend 1650.3 and they are going to be well over $500 USD (more like $800) if you are piecing things out. She told me the titans are very good too, but the hertz are their premium.

So I got those, and the install kit and stayed with the 2180 amp because I am doing fairing and lowers. If I do the bags, and if I do they would probably be a subwoofer, I would put an amp back there too I think. The 2180 can run 4 speakers she assured me.

So, fast forward and I have installed it all. I do live music sound, and really like my sound. So for me, I wasn’t as impressed as I had hoped for hitting over the $1000 mark (USD). But, it is a huge improvement over stock. Way better. But I can say, unfortunately, I’m not done. :frown: But, I don’t regret the purchase at all. I can hear the music very clear. Definitely not much bass on a highway, and not as clear as I would like when standing still. So maybe some tweaking to do?

I think it could be partly the head unit to blame? I will be contacting them because I have heard they will continue to help get the sound you want. And they have helped a lot so far.

Hopefully, that’s some help to you. (Oh yeah...it’s a 2019 Road Glide FLTRX)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had been reading many posts, and decided on the biketronics as well. I like good audio, and I had many emails back and forth with Donna at biketronics. She was a good help, and being in Canada, she suggested seeing if I could find the speakers here and maybe save shipping. I went with the hertz speakers (and be careful, there are a couple different ones that look similar. You want the Mille Legend 1650.3 and they are going to be well over $500 USD (more like $800) if you are piecing things out. She told me the titans are very good too, but the hertz are their premium.

So I got those, and the install kit and stayed with the 2180 amp because I am doing fairing and lowers. If I do the bags, and if I do they would probably be a subwoofer, I would put an amp back there too I think. The 2180 can run 4 speakers she assured me.

So, fast forward and I have installed it all. I do live music sound, and really like my sound. So for me, I wasn’t as impressed as I had hoped for hitting over the $1000 mark (USD). But, it is a huge improvement over stock. Way better. But I can say, unfortunately, I’m not done. :frown: But, I don’t regret the purchase at all. I can hear the music very clear. Definitely not much bass on a highway, and not as clear as I would like when standing still. So maybe some tweaking to do?

I think it could be partly the head unit to blame? I will be contacting them because I have heard they will continue to help get the sound you want. And they have helped a lot so far.

Hopefully, that’s some help to you. (Oh yeah...it’s a 2019 Road Glide FLTRX)

Yes, the 2180 will run 4 speakers, but it’s not enough power for the 1650.3 in parallel since you’re only getting about 120W configured like that. That’s why they’re not hitting your expectations. I run the 1650.3 in both bikes. They don’t start to get happy until about 150, really happy at 175, and they scream at 200.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I just installed a BT4250 setup and started out disappointed. Problem ended up being that the speaker wires were backwards or out of phase somewhere in the system. With the awesome customer service of Mike at BT, he got it figured out that this was the problem and had me flip the wires on 1 speaker and the sound got way better. Try flipping the connections on one of the speakers just to rule that out as a possibility. Won't hurt anything to try it and it may help the feeling that it's down a little on performance and bass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, the 2180 will run 4 speakers, but it’s not enough power for the 1650.3 in parallel since you’re only getting about 120W configured like that. That’s why they’re not hitting your expectations. I run the 1650.3 in both bikes. They don’t start to get happy until about 150, really happy at 175, and they scream at 200.

I was thinking that. When I saw that it was 180watts (per channel), I was wondering. I know the lowers, which are the Hertz mid bass woofers, say 400 watts. And I thought about it and possibly not pushing enough power to make them all happy. The second test ride, I took them out, and I figured it was just me, but I liked it better!

You think more power then. Any recommendation? I am not sure I want to go with the biketronics because it was a lot for shipping to Canada. And there was extra duty as well. I could probably do better to get something here. Or leave the 2180 for the 1650.3 speakers in the fairing and add another amp for the SV165s? (Sorry for hijacking the thread, I was originally trying to help, but I hope this will help people too searching for the same topic. It certainly would have helped me more).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed a BT4250 setup and started out disappointed. Problem ended up being that the speaker wires were backwards or out of phase somewhere in the system. With the awesome customer service of Mike at BT, he got it figured out that this was the problem and had me flip the wires on 1 speaker and the sound got way better. Try flipping the connections on one of the speakers just to rule that out as a possibility. Won't hurt anything to try it and it may help the feeling that it's down a little on performance and bass.
I will try this. I was planning to call because I heard they are great at customer service. Have been so far.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was thinking that. When I saw that it was 180watts (per channel), I was wondering. I know the lowers, which are the Hertz mid bass woofers, say 400 watts. And I thought about it and possibly not pushing enough power to make them all happy. The second test ride, I took them out, and I figured it was just me, but I liked it better!

You think more power then. Any recommendation? I am not sure I want to go with the biketronics because it was a lot for shipping to Canada. And there was extra duty as well. I could probably do better to get something here. Or leave the 2180 for the 1650.3 speakers in the fairing and add another amp for the SV165s? (Sorry for hijacking the thread, I was originally trying to help, but I hope this will help people too searching for the same topic. It certainly would have helped me more).
First and foremost the fairing is the most important because that's where the most sound comes from at speed. That being said there are a couple of options and not knowing how bad the duty/shipping is you'll have to weigh the pros/cons. BT customer service is easily the best on the planet and they will work with you. Talk to Mike directly.

The 4250 has more power than you'll ever need, but of course more $$$ as well. The 4180 would work as well for less $$$, but not quite as much power and after playing around with my setups I wouldn't be happy giving up the extra watts. If you were okay with the sound with all the power going to the upper fairing it is probably the easiest option with regard to install. If I had never heard the 1650.3 with more power the 4180 would be fine, but since I have it wouldn't be enough for me. The 4180 could run a couple sets of 165.3 all day long with 0 issues, but it's just a little lacking for the 1650.3 after having heard them with big power.

A non-BT option would be to add a diamond audio micro 4V2 and run it bridged to the upper fairing and leave the 2180 on the lowers. I run that amp in the 16 and at 300W bridged it is more than capable of pushing the 1650.3 to their potential. It is cheaper and I assume available in Canada. It also fits right on top of the headlight like it was made to go there and does not require cutting the headlight tabs off like some amps do. Simply reroute a couple connectors and you're golden. With having 2 amps you'll need to add a distribution block for the power supply and will need to run another line leveler or split the signal from the one you have to both amps. I assume you have the 4 speaker/0 amp flash so you already have fade enabled. Probably won't need it but nice to have just in case and it can be helpful if you spend a lot of time around town at lower speeds.

Hope that helps, but those were the first thoughts that came to mind. I'm sure others will chime in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts