Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this or similar amps by Biketronics and how adjustable are they watt/volume wise and what?s the current draw on them?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nice amp with plenty of clean power. Very efficient so no issues with current draw. Only downside is no adjustability. Gains and crossover are preset from factory. I've used 4180 and 2180 with various speakers. Wouldn't hesitate to use one again. If you're one of the guys that want to tweak and dial everything in to a gnats butt it's not for you. If you're ok with or prefer set it and forget it it's a great choice. Very dependable and unbeatable warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
What about speakers that only handle @150 Watts rms dialing it down to 145 just to be safe?
What speakers are you going to run? Many handle well above rated RMS, some don't. Either way it's tough to judge a speaker by it's specs.

Since there are no gain controls, if you want to control the wattage going to the speaker you'd have to measure the AC voltage output at various volumes with a DMM and be sure not to go above the volume level that corresponds to the wattage you want to stay below. Same process as setting gains on an amp with gain controls, except you're changing the volume on the head unit and the gains are fixed (as opposed to adjusting the gains on the amp while the head unit volume is fixed).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thinking of running Hertz MLK 1650.3 Legend system, Woolfer, Tweeter, Crossover.

I run the ml 1650.3 currently. They easily take the 200w bridged from a micro 4V2.

Just make sure you find the volume where distortion starts and stay at least 1 notch if not 2 below that. On a Rushmore hu that's 14/17 bars.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that 200 RMS or peak if RMS they should handle the 180 RMS without an effort. But I?d prob not run it to max mainly 2 to 4 from max on volume.

Also what does the amp take amp wise aka fused too?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have mine setup for 200W at 14/17 bars.

I think it was a 25 amp fuse, maybe 30. Call BT to get the exact answer if you're amp didn't come with a fuse. They are very efficient and use like 12 ga wire for power/ground.

The 6.5 infotainment is known to distort at 15 bars. If you go there or higher consistently it will result in speaker issues no matter what you run.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Distort how andbis it the MLK 1560.3 Legends or what.

Also how did you place the woofer and tweeter in fairing speaker slot.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Distort how andbis it the MLK 1560.3 Legends or what.

Also how did you place the woofer and tweeter in fairing speaker slot.

I'm on mobile app so can't see what year bike you have and stock or aftermarket hu. The signal from the hu naturally distorts at some level. For the 6.5 infotainment that is at 15 bars and above depending on source.

I think the "K" denotes a kit. I bought ml 1650.3 speakers and mp 28.3 tweeters separately.

I used a BT adapter for the speaker in the pods, might have fit without it but I already had it so I used it. The tweeters came already mounted in hawg wired metal grills.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The MLK 1650.3 comes with woofers tweeters and crossover. Wondering how to mount the tweeter in all applications especially fairing mounting it in stock speaker location.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The MLK 1650.3 comes with woofers tweeters and crossover. Wondering how to mount the tweeter in all applications especially fairing mounting it in stock speaker location.

Ok, that must be the same setup I have. Like I said, the stock grills were replaced with metal grills cut out to hold the tweets. I would take a picture but bike is in shop for a few days. I mounted the crossovers in the cubby space by each speaker.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I?m also thinking of the ML 1800.3 legend 7? but dunno we?re to get 7? to 6.5? adapters as well as adapters for 6.5? or 7? to 6 by 9. Any suggestions were to get thought use that woofer and the same tweeters and crossovers so have something to handle 180 Watts though the ML 1800.3 legend are 200 watt capability giving me full power and full volume if I?m calculating this correctly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you get it out of shop. I?d like to see what you did to get some ideas on the woofer tweeter setup.

·
Registered
753 Posts
No adapters I'm aware of that will let you use anything bigger than 6.5" in front fairing.

The 1650.3 will handle 180W no problem.

Full volume isn't an option. The distorted signal at anything above 14/17 will eventually kill any speaker.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When you get it out of shop. I?d like to see what you did to get some ideas on the woofer tweeter setup.

I should have it wed or thurs and will post pics. The biketronics website shows pics. They aren't mp 25.3 tweeters, but same idea.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Pics of tweeters in grill.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts