Road Glide banner

Which radio install kit do you use?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinions on these products, the Hawgwired din mount looks to be more rugged, but the Biketronics kit for the sony radios seems to be more plug and play. I am looking to use the sony dsx-m60 for my head unit. Just looking for some feed back on these kits. Are there any other companies that makes an install kit that anyone has used? Thanks and happy riding or wrenching to you all!!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I prefer the SideCar Cycles (now VTwin Audio) install kit and splash cover. However, I do like the Biketronics retro radio kit for the electronics.

I ended up using the SideCar hardware with the biketronics harness with a DSX-MS60. Not the most economical way to go about it, but I'm happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I have the Hawgwired, the only advantage that I can see with Biketronics is the AVC, which I don't use anyway. I guess you could use the Hawgwired hardware and Biketronics electronics?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Does the price of the associated splash cover factor in here?? Hawg $100, BT $20...

Seems like that and a hard to control AVC make me lean toward bike tronics.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
781 Posts
I didn't like the finished look of the biketronics. I liked the hawg wired finished look. The avc was not a factor for me.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I did a mix...

Sidecarcycles install kit w/ the HW sony adaptor. Costs a few more bucks... but I like the gloss black look of the sidecar install faceplate.

D.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Does the price of the associated splash cover factor in here?? Hawg $100, BT $20...

Seems like that and a hard to control AVC make me lean toward bike tronics.

That Biketronics cover isn't worth $2, $20 is a total rip off, I know because I made the mistake. The one for Hawgwired/Sidecar Cycles is a bit expensive, but it's a quality piece and it works.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I did a mix...

Sidecarcycles install kit w/ the HW sony adaptor. Costs a few more bucks... but I like the gloss black look of the sidecar install faceplate.

D.
This is the same way that I'm going. Still have a few more things to order, but that will be done soon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the all the responses! Seems like it was not just me with this queston! I think I may also go with the Vtwin mount after checking it out, does the HawgWired adapter for the hand controls install easily?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've had the biketronics kit (including the cover) and it has worked great. The cover is not attractive but I only use it when it is raining. I'm not concerned with its looks while riding in a downpour. Just like rain suits, I want functionality first. Aesthetics come second for me.

I choose the Biketronics kit because it was not on back order like the Hawg-wired kit was when I needed the kit. At that time, sidecar's stuff did not exist. I do agree that the HW kit looks better, but I don't think you will go wrong either way. They all seem to work well.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Hawg Wired kit only has a 1 yr warranty and Biketronics is lifetime.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have the Biketronics kit with a Sony Marine DSX-MS60 and all I can say is I am VERY UNHAPPY with it. This thing has not worked right since the installation. The radio turns on and off on it's own, the handlebar controls are intermittent at best. All in all, very disappointed with the configuration. The docs say if you have problems like this, ground the radio directly, chassis to frame. I did that, no help at all. I wish I had gotten the HawgWired, but Biketronics was a sponsor of Shark Week II.

That having been said, I hardly ever use it anymore. I have a Garmin Zumo Road Tech 665 and a Bluetooth headset in the Helmet. I can play all my music from an SD card in the Road Tech, and listen to XM radio as well. Things sound much better in the Helmet, so the radio stays off. I will, if I have time, put the Harley HK back in next time I have the fairing off. At least it will keep time better than what I have now.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Well that sucks ONG. Never had an issue with mine in the almost 3 yrs that Ive had it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts